Acekard2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by yabasi, Dec 2, 2008.

Dec 2, 2008

Acekard2 by yabasi at 3:04 AM (3,366 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. yabasi
    OP

Newcomer yabasi Advanced Member

United States
    so... i hear good reviews about acekard and its cheap so im thinking of getting one. Where would be the best place to order an acekard and can you put a link cuz some sites give 2 dif links to same cart but diff prices o.o

and (stupid question) but if i transfer games and saves from my R4 to the acekard will it be able to read the saves or will i have to start over?

-thnx

P.S. delete my other post... lag made it post 2 times... thnx

2. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

The saves should be compatible. If not, there are tools available on the Internet that may be able to help. Just make sure you make backup copies of everything before you start hacking away. [​IMG]

3. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To make saves compatible, just use this extension: .nds.sav

Also, just to clarify: DealExtreme is great, but their shipping times can take upwards of a month. Still, it's free and is the best route; you just have to be patient [​IMG]

If you're looking for a stop-gap for your R4, I would suggest YSMenu as an alternative firmware. I have it as a backup and it works great --much better than the original firmware in terms of compatibility, but you're giving up a little speed (loading a rom seems to take about twice as long). You can find a great utility on creating the files here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=103879

4. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You're actually pretty lucky. The save format for R4 and Acekard2 are exactly the same. Just transfer the files over and rename the saves in the correct format and you should be good to go. Also the link the guy above me gave is a great place to get it. Cheapest you'll find it.

5. yabasi
    OP

United States
  6. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    The more expensive one has a card reader included. The cheaper one doesn't.

I would recommend using AKAIO (see the sticky) and you'll be happy to know that you don't need to even rename your save files, as there is an option in the menu to use just a .sav extension.

7. jmckutchin

United States

Oh yeah, AKAIO is so synonymous with Acekard that I almost forgot there was actually an "official" version.

8. yabasi
    OP

United States
    One last question lol.... Dealextreme is a safe site to order from right xD
    and they rarely ship faulty ones right?
    and it works great but the build is bad? as i heard xD
    thnx

9. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DX is safe to order from. That's where I got my Acekard 2. The build isn't that bad. Just don't TRY and break it and it shouldn't break. I don't even take my Acekard 2 out of my DS. Just pop the MicroSD out lol.

10. yabasi
    OP

United States
    is AceKard2 spring or no spring? xD
    and why dont they just make the build better =p

cuz i dont wana get a cart that would break or die off in a week or so =p xD

and AND are there fakes!!!?!?! xD

so hard to choose a cart >.

11. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States

12. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I don't understand why so many people complain about the build quality of an Acekard 2, I think it's absolutely fine for normal use, unless you treat your stuff really badly, which would be your problem not the carts, it'll last like forever.

13. jmckutchin

United States
    It's all about the clips. It makes the product look shoddy. I just dabbed a little bit of tacky glue around the seam and it feels much stronger.

If they made an Acekard with a screwed together, white case, I'd buy it in a second and give my current one to a friend. $11 is reasonable for my vanity [​IMG]

14. yabasi
    OP

United States
    hmm kk i think imma buy the acekard2 with no usb but o.o where do i find skins for the acekard? =p

15. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The reality is if the quality is your concern, buy two...I mean that's still under $25! It's all about the utility of the device, I'd worry about things like functionality and firmware support first. In general, most flashcarts are "cheap" when it comes to the build quality.

16. yabasi
    OP

United States
    Whats the official site where i can get the firmware for Acekard? o.o cant seem to find it >.< thnx

17. jmckutchin

United States
    Very true. I have a Acekard 2.1 and my original R4 just in case something happens and I have to wait 2 weeks for another Acekard. I have to admit, I'm pretty tempted to get a DSTT since they're only $6 and change. With that and a cheap Micro SD card, how can I resist?

18. jmckutchin

United States
    But Variety is the spice of life [​IMG]

I'm well aware of the complaints, and AKAIO is a much better OS (can it be considered an OS?). However, I use my card for one purpose and one purpose only, so as a backup, I'd certainly consider getting a DSTT for fun because it's certainly capable of loading games. Besides, if I don't like it, I can give it away. Then it's win-win for everyone.

On the other hand, with the news of the Acekard 2i, I'll probably hold off as long my AK2 and R4 work fine.

19. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You can get the firmware from a number of sites, but the official is www.acekard.com

-Bri

20. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    The official firmware can be found hosted here, though as said the official site is www.acekard.com

However I would recommend using AKAIO which can be found in the sticky, or the new beta can be found in another thread.