Acekard RPG discontinued?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by The_Dark_Knight, Mar 28, 2009.

Mar 28, 2009
  1. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

Member The_Dark_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hey all,

a friend was interested in DS flashing and I told him my Acekard RPG has worked very well for me in the past.

he went to order one but it seems like they aren't available on ANY sites anymore.

has it been discontinued or something??

if so, what card should he get instead?
    also, he doesn't have a DS yet and thought about getting a DSi, but isn't sure if the ROM flashing works for that yet, and if so, with what card.

any advice!? I told him I'd get him an answer by Sunday =P

thanks in advance....

2. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    re dsi: mixed reports from only a couple of people - id wait.
    re: card alternative - ak2 is basically as good as rpg just it doesn't have the nand and apparently has slightly less build quality (dont try and eat it and you'll be fine) but costs about 1/6th or less of the price an rpg cost.
    dunno if its discontinued but seems to serve little purpose when the ak2 is so similar at a fraction of the cost.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    yes and no.

the team has stopped supporting it for now as they focus on the ak2i. it was never a really good seller, due to the price. it always did have a better build but it didn't really do anything the ak2 couldn't do, except for the onboard nand. when the ak2 had the FAT problem the sales of the rpg went up. now that the FAT issue is fixed the sales have dropped again. they have stopped production unless a demand arises for the kit. you could drop them an email at acekard@gmail.com and ask what the deal is. just know that they haven't been online for many months, so you may not get a response.

i can't stop recommending the ak 2.1 to people who want a very good, reliable, and supported flash linker. its only 12 bucks at DX now, and with AKAIO you can't go wrong!

-another world

4. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

Member The_Dark_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thanks for the info.

I know the onboard memory was a big selling point to me because I am a Castlevania nut and I heard they have a hard time running some games like that off of the microSD cards.

this friend of mine is also interested in the Castlevania games, do you think he will have any such problems with the AK2.1??

also, which one is the one to get?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

OR

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

thanks so much!

5. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Compact edition has no card reader. I got the compact edition because the box is prettier. The card readers suck anyway.

6. SoLuckys

Member SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Cyprus
    the sku.11811 cos for $0.31 you get a card reader but the sku.16142's package its prettier as briankealing said

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    with the current dma patching routines in akaio you should not have a problem at all. it still comes down to the msd you are using. there is more info (although brief) in the akaio wiki.

-another world

8. Agent007

Member Agent007 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Don't get the DSi yet, not confirmed it will work with flashcards and if you're getting a DS lite, you cant go wrong with Acekard 2.1 or Acekard 2i

9. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I got a mix of both the mentioned sites. Mine came with no card reader but it was on the blister package. Get the Acekard 2.1 but I'll get the 2i just in case I'll ever get a DSi (maybe next year)

It's still up to you to decide.

Regards,
    Chris

10. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    im still a proud user of an acekard RPG, and will always be a happy user of AKAIO, ak2.1 is a close 3rd in my opinion though as far as flashcarts go, cyclo being 2nd