Hacking Acekard 2i quit reading!

outcast22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok WTF is going on? My 2i hasn't been working great for months now. Yesterday i took it out to load music onto it. Popped it back in, and turned it on and nothing shows up. I have access to 2 other 2is and used them to check my microSD card. It worked. So i'm assuming its the card. Is there a fix cuz I got the nonworking card from Dealextreme and we all know they don't deal with Acekard anymore.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1 year warranty from Acekard
smile.gif

Send an email to [email protected] pertaining to the problem & referring to the warranty. I'm assuming since you've used an AK2i for months, you know what your doing and since you tested on other AK2i's as well.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Masked Ranger said:
You're not giving us enough information to troubleshoot. What do you mean "nothing happens"?
I think he means that the AK2i is not recognized by the DS/DSi. If there were firmware files missing the card would state, "System Files Missing". If it did not detect an SD card it would hang on "Loading".

outcast22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I sent a email earlier. Hopefully they don't dick me since DX is out of the game. And the problem is that when the card is inserted, there is no icon showing up in the game cartridge block on the DSI screen. MicroSD works fine in other AK2i cards.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
outcast22 said:
Ok I sent a email earlier. Hopefully they don't dick me since DX is out of the game.
Basically what will happen is that they'll ask you to open your AK2i and post pictures of the internal components to make sure its not a clone or fake. Then if it isn't they'll tell you to go back to your reseller and demand a replacement with a statement from Acekard. DX will do one of two things. They will send you a replacement because they do secretly still have AK2i's, just not allowed to display them. (You have to use a link that will automatically add an AK2i to your shopping cart if you wanted to buy one.) Or they'll tell you that they don't "sell" them anymore. In which Acekard should give you one directly.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you all have overlooked the distinct possibility OP has either inadvertedly removed a system file, or corrupted a system file yesterday.
First thing I would do, would be to backup all files onto PC, format msd, reload AK2i system files - see if cart loads. If all's good, restore the backup files onto msd.

outcast22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
I think you all have overlooked the distinct possibility OP has either inadvertedly removed a system file, or corrupted a system file yesterday.
First thing I would do, would be to backup all files onto PC, format msd, reload AK2i system files - see if cart loads. If all's good, restore the backup files onto msd.
Tried that. No go.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why do all acekards have to quit working after a while.. D:

will that paper trick thing do anything?

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would guess that something fails in them over time and usage.
I had one fail - was working fine until one day the DS Lite would not see it anymore.
(Interestingly, it would still work in a DSi but fail in a DSL.)

I notified the dealer where I bought it, they replaced it. New one is working just fine.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a similar problem, easy fix (for me anyway):

Small bit of paper, cut to size, inside the Acekard 2i - between the microSD non-contact side and the inside of the Acekard. You just have to remember to pop it in with the microSD each time.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whipple said:
I had one fail - was working fine until one day the DS Lite would not see it anymore.

I notified the dealer where I bought it, they replaced it. New one is working just fine.

It's a contact issue on the card. It's been frequently posted on here that the DSL has slightly shorter contacts than the DSi. Can normally be solved by applying one or two strips of sellotape to the bottom of the cart sticker side or by putting something underneath the contacts to raise them.

Can also be an issue with crap in the DS slot, gently cleaning the inside of the slot with a cotton bud can can sometimes fix it.

outcast22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
Whipple said:

It's a contact issue on the card. It's been frequently posted on here that the DSL has slightly shorter contacts than the DSi. Can normally be solved by applying one or two strips of sellotape to the bottom of the cart sticker side or by putting something underneath the contacts to raise them.

Can also be an issue with crap in the DS slot, gently cleaning the inside of the slot with a cotton bud can can sometimes fix it.
Underneath the contacts? What could go under there?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
outcast22 said:
A small piece of paper or plastic. I used a plastic wrapper from a sweet packet as it was thin I could fold it to the desired height, and it slid under well. You could probably use a small piece of the clear plastic packaging which is in the Acekard box.

Cut it into a rectangle the length of the contacts, and cut two opposite corners off so you can angle it in there. If you use your nail you can just prise the PCB up to slide it under.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For some reason the paper trick completely slipped my mind. Yes, that's a possibly. Luckily, I've never had to do it so I'm definitely not the one to ask about it. These other Tempers seem to have a good idea tho.
biggrin.gif

Sorry about that.

outcast22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
outcast22 said:
A small piece of paper or plastic. I used a plastic wrapper from a sweet packet as it was thin I could fold it to the desired height, and it slid under well. You could probably use a small piece of the clear plastic packaging which is in the Acekard box.

Cut it into a rectangle the length of the contacts, and cut two opposite corners off so you can angle it in there. If you use your nail you can just prise the PCB up to slide it under.
Ok all the paper tricks have quit working. Now 2 of my AK2i have gone on the fritz. I've tried putting the rectangular paper across the contacts but I cant pry up anything. Exactly what part can be moved? Any more proven tricks out there?

And as of 3/5/10, still no word from DX:(........
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE