Acekard 2i Nintendo DSi Firmware

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by PraxxtorCruel, Apr 17, 2009.

Apr 17, 2009
  1. PraxxtorCruel
    OP

Member PraxxtorCruel GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Okay not sure the title makes sense but anyways, I need a bit of advice. If I was to buy the Acekard 2i and let's say Nintendo updated the firmware of the DSi [​IMG], would I have to buy/wait for Acekard 2i to release a new model that work's with the updated firmware or would I just be able to download the software of the internet so that it continues to work with the new firmware that Nintendo implemented.

Should I just give it a couple of months see what happens? [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    You will just have to wait unfortunately, yet the Ak2i works with the DSi with the latest firmware of the DS

3. forster

Newcomer forster Member

United Kingdom
    Ive used two systems where this is a big issue, the Wii and the PSP.

Stories are similar between both systems - Sony would release a firmware update for the PSP, but usually within hours of release it would be released patched from the homebrew coders so that the public would be able to use the new features, while still being able to used the homebrew programs.

In a similar vein the Wii updates are released and then later cracked, however the recommendation for Wii updates is to stay at version 3.2 because it has the widest support for homebrew applications. The latest Wii firmware, v4, can be installed with patched IOS files, but if you upgrade to 4 on a virgin system you are pretty much going to have to wait until a hole is found to be exploited to again allow homebrew to be ran.

At the end of the day, it's your system, and you have to weigh up the benefits of homebrew to the benefits of the new features of the firmware update. It may well be that the updates dont affect the homebrew exploits at all, or it may be that the update forever patches that security hole.

To be honest, Ive never really thought to myself 'wow, that new firmware feature is something I must have and Im going to update right now', it does make a difference if features like the DSi shop or new games are blocked unless you upgrade, but to be safe I would suggest giving a little time to see what exactly has been updated, what on your system will be affected, and whether a patched update will be released soon to allow the best of both worlds.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

4. klopfdreh

Member klopfdreh GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    As forster mentioned it is up on your choice. You can prevent the update and continue working with an older revision of the nintendo firmware.

The system asks you for an update when your going to:

1. Enter the DSiWare Shop
    2. You manually update your system in the configuration