Acekard 2i + GBA Flashkit

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by second.exodous, May 3, 2009.

May 3, 2009
  1. second.exodous
    OP

Newcomer second.exodous Newbie

United States
    First off I want to say hi, this is my first post and I just found out about the ability of playing roms on a NDS through dealextreme.com.

I think I should note that I have a DS Lite and am thinking of buying AK2 or AK2i. Does it matter which GBA Flashcart I buy? It doesn't look like slot 2 units with SD card compatibility are still sold.

I've been eying the EZFlash 3-in-1. It says it's equipped with '256Mbit Norflash, 2Mbit SRAM, and battery for game saves', so the games are stored on the Norflash even if I have a AK2? 256Mbit doesn't sound like a lot for GBA roms.

So does it matter what combo of slot 1 & 2 flash carts you use? I've read a few reviews and I know which slot 1 card I want but the reviews of the slot 2 cards are a little old and I'm not sure if they still apply.

Thanx in advance,
    Stan

2. SkyintheSea

Member SkyintheSea GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you want a EZ Flash 3-in-1. I am selling mine, because I do not own a DS Lite anymore. PM me for details!

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Most likely you want something like the 3-in-1, but you're misunderstanding its purpose. It's not a standalone card, it's specifically intended to complement a SLOT-1 card. For this reason, it only holds one game at a time; you store all your ROMs on your SLOT-1 card then when you load them, they're copied to the 3-in-1 and booted. It's simply not a device which has its own storage, because that's not what it's made for. If you insist on a card with its own storage, your best bet is probably the EZ-Flash IV Lite, which takes microSD cards; in this case, the games are stored on microSD and copied to the EZ-IV's internal NOR/PSRAM when you run them (exactly like the 3-in-1, except you're loading your ROMs from the IV instead of your SLOT-1 card).

Out of interest, do you actually intend on buying a DSi? The Acekard 2i is almost exactly the same product as the Acekard 2, with the addition of DSi support.

4. second.exodous
    OP

United States
    Oh, ok, so I could never use the 3-in-1 on a SP? It doesn't matter, I don't even know where my SP is anymore. Being able to store GBA games on the Slot 1 card will be a good incentive to buy a bigger SD card.

As far as getting the AK2i over the AK2 there is only $3 difference at dealextreme.com, and I might eventually get a DSi, so I might as well go with the AK2i.

I have one more question, if you use the 3-in-1 can you play GBA games wirelessly between two DSLs or DSis?

Edit: Which type of Slot 2 card is better, one that loads from a Slot 1 card or one that loads from it's own memory(SD or internal)? I noticed that the 3-in-1 didn't have cheat support.

Is there a place where I can read up on the general differences/features of Slot 2 cards? Reviews tend to mention features that are general knowledge for those who know the facts but don't really give any insight to those who don't already know. Like and F.A.Q. for roms on GBA/DS.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you get the Phat-sized version of the 3in1 and flash a game to its NOR flash, you can then use it on an SP or DS Phat. You just won't be able to change the game without a DS and a slot-1 card.

When playing GBA games you have no access to any of the DS-specific hardware, including wifi, so you can't play multiplayer GBA games on a DS.

As for which is better, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're primarily going to be using it on a GBA, then of course a slot-2 cart with its own memory will be ideal. But for most users it's cheaper to get a slot-2 expansion pack, which will work almost as good as a standalone slot-2 device.

6. second.exodous
    OP

United States
    Do any of the Slot 2 expansion packs allow for cheats? It looks like you have to have a stand alone Slot 2 device if you want cheats on GBA.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I believe the 3in1 supports cheats if you're using the slot-1 EZ-V cart. With other carts, you don't get cheats. I don't believe the other expansion packs offer cheats at all, but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind you can use a tool like GBASharky to hard-code the cheats into the rom, which can be run from any device. Not quite as good a solution, but it's an option.

8. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If you have the 3in1 the only thing that has cheat support would be the EZ-V slot-1. The only other one with cheat support is the M3 line where you would have to have the M3 Real and the M3 gba expansion pack to have cheats. Any other combination has no cheats unless you like Dan said use Sharky to hard code the cheats in.

9. second.exodous
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I would rather go with the AK2i and not have cheats, it seems like the best card graphically. I'm also not that concerned with GBA emulation anyway as I have the Pandora pre-ordered, it's just something to have to fill the Slot 2 port.

So, I'm off to order, I hear dealextreme.com is slow on really popular items, but for less than half price I think the wait is worth it.

10. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    What do you mean by "best card graphically"?

11. second.exodous
    OP

United States
    By best card graphically I mean a more professional look to the G.U.I., the others just look like they had a rush job on getting it to market and afterwards never went back and fixed or polished anything.

I use Linux and OSX because small inconsistencies, non-logical, confusing, and pointless features in a G.U.I. really bug me. I used to tell myself it was because of the viruses and spy-ware but when I tried Vista I decided it was because of the G.U.I. I doubt I'll be in the G.U.I. on a flashcard as much as a computer, but I want it to look good when I show it to people.

But yeah, the AK2 just looks a ton better than the rest, and I can live without real time save (when did it stop being called 'save states'?) and the other feature that I can't remember right now.