Hacking Acekard 2i freezes occasionally...

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I'm using an Acekard 2i on a DS Lite, with the latest firmware. I am using a Sandisk 2gb Micro SD formatted to FAT. I don't know if this is because of the game I am playing (Soul Silver), but I will often be in a battle usually, and then it will completely freeze as well as the music stopping on one note and I'm just left with the screen and a droning note. I then have to turn off the DS.

But when I turn it back on again, it initially says that there is no card inserted, even though I haven't touched it. So, is this a problem with the card itself, or the game?

Thanks.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Acekard 2i is known to have contact issues.
I put a small thin bit of plastic on the face of the Acekard, whilst its in the slot. It makes it fit much tighter, and reduces chances of freezing.

But then again, you're playing Soul Silver, a game with some fierce anti-piracy. Are you using AKAIO 1.6RC? Using an older version of AKAIO or the official firmware won't work for that game.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not sure - but I have read that Acekard can have a contact problem on DSLite (something about short contacts)

There's a couple of things mentioned that may help

1) Clean the contacts on the card & blow out the DSlite slot
2) Use the 'thin piece of card trick' - try placing a piece of THIN card between the Acekard & back of DSLite to attempt to push the card harder onto the contacts within the DSlite

To check the actual Acekard - have you access to a DSPhat or DSi ?? - if so try it out & if it doesn't freeze you can safely assume that it's a DSLite/Acekard contact fault rather than the actual Acekard at fault

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using a phat DS, DSL or DSi?
I had a similar problem with an AceKard 21 where it would randomly freeze with a tone like you mentioned.
It was intermittant and I could get my DSL to recognize the card once I removed and reinserted the AceKard.
This kept setting slowly worse until one day it would simply no longer be recognized at all by my DSL.
However, it still worked just fine in my DSi. Simply switching the AceKards with my DSi proved to be a viable workaround.
However, I am watching my DSL to see if the problem is going to re-occur over time. The card was just out of warranty when the problem occurred.
Both flashcarts were purchased at the same so they are earlly version AK 2is.

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whipple said:
Are you using a phat DS, DSL or DSi?
I had a similar problem with an AceKard 21 where it would randomly freeze with a tone like you mentioned.
It was intermittant and I could get my DSL to recognize the card once I removed and reinserted the AceKard.
This kept setting slowly worse until one day it would simply no longer be recognized at all by my DSL.
However, it still worked just fine in my DSi. Simply switching the AceKards with my DSi proved to be a viable workaround.
However, I am watching my DSL to see if the problem is going to re-occur over time. The card was just out of warranty when the problem occurred.
Both flashcarts were purchased at the same so they are earlly version AK 2is.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using a lite. So does the Acekard 2i work just the same with Dsi? Do you have to keep patching the card every time Nintendo updates the firmware?

Sinistral89

Trophies
XP
Country
Problably. Since the 1.4 update was the first firmwire for the DSi that blocked flashcarts it might be that we have to update our acekards in the future again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@