Hacking Acekard 2i current build qualtiy?

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I was considering upgrading from my 2.1 from a few years back because the card has always felt a bit flimsy. What's the build quality of the current Acekard 2i's like? Any contact issues? Does it still have the little chip bulge? Thanks!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a completely different build. The Clips are gone, and instead it's glued shut around 4 pegs. The edges are sometimes Sonically sealed.

The Actel Chip is gone, and instead replaced with a Glob Top Encapsulated Chip which doesn't require a Window in the shell.

It has contact issues. Build quality isn't anything to shout about from the top of a tall building. You can view images here http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410&f=8

I opened mine up as I was curious. Even without permantly putting it back together it works, just a case if i'm not careful the PCB falls out of the shell.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, i have the newer models which's build quality is described by tk_saturn
i got mines near the release time and i was really lucky to get the newer ones, for me it had no contact issues and is holdiny up really well right now

unless you try to break it or play around with it, it will break, otherwise if you handle it normally and properly then it should last you a loong time

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
It's a completely different build. The Clips are gone, and instead it's glued shut around 4 pegs. The edges are sometimes Sonically sealed.

The Actel Chip is gone, and instead replaced with a Glob Top Encapsulated Chip which doesn't require a Window in the shell.

It has contact issues. Build quality isn't anything to shout about from the top of a tall building. You can view images here http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410&f=8

I opened mine up as I was curious. Even without putting it back together it works, just a case if i'm not careful the PCB falls out of the shell.

Is there any way to fix the contact issues if the case is completely closed? I remember putting a slip of paper in my old R4 and that worked well...

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mgridgaway said:
Is there any way to fix the contact issues if the case is completely closed? I remember putting a slip of paper in my old R4 and that worked well...
Yes paper trick does work. Read about it here.

I will say that I have a HW81 and don't seem to have any contact issues. Maybe I just got lucky.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
mgridgaway said:
Yes paper trick does work. Read about it here.

I will say that I have a HW81 and don't seem to have any contact issues. Maybe I just got lucky.
I have an HW81 as well with no contact issues on the AceKard 2i.
However, after about 2 weeks of using the AK2i, my R4 now has problems (loads about 50% of the time now).

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I've got an HW81 2i as well, the contact issues in my DSi were rare, only showing up if there was a sudden jolt, such as me dropping it, and a piece of paper under the PCB's contacts fixed that.
Will second this. I have bumped in into a steering wheel or table lightly and the game I was playing froze. I haven't put anything underneath the contacts, but if that helps, will give it a try.

Cardstock is usually recommended, but would a cut-up business card work?

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I've got an HW81 2i as well, the contact issues in my DSi were rare, only showing up if there was a sudden jolt, such as me dropping it, and a piece of paper under the PCB's contacts fixed that.
Will second this. I have bumped in into a steering wheel or table lightly and the game I was playing froze. I haven't put anything underneath the contacts, but if that helps, will give it a try.

Cardstock is usually recommended, but would a cut-up business card work?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
o.O

Don't play DS and Drive.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
gumbyx84 said:
o.O

Don't play DS and Drive.
lol I wasn't driving. I was at the Dr office and forgot to turn my DS off, so I pulled it out when I got into the car to save game and shut it off. It bumped into steering wheel when I pulled it out of case and it froze.

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'll just stick with my 2.1. Flimsy build quality aside, I've never had an issue with it... well, aside from the weird randomly deleting my .sav file thing, though I haven't experienced that for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)