matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the background story: My friend wanted me to chip in for a DS + Flashcart for a friend of ours and my job was to find the best flashcart... within a reasonable price range, so CycloDS is certainly out. All my friends use R4 and having been staying in the loop, I've found that R4's are almost now obsolete. Having done my research and reading the reviews, I've narrowed it down to AceKard 2 or the EDGE. Both of these have received the Golden Award and one of them is only pricier than the other by a dollar.

Now that I've read the reviews and checked on the features and pricings, I'd like to hear from you guys out there. What do you guys think is the better flashcart?

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want (or rather, you know your friend would prefer) a "no-nonsense", responsive, often-updated flash-cart, you should get the EDGE. You've read the reviews- it has everything you would need (and that I want) in a cart, while still able to load custom skins, etc...

However! If you/your friend really would prefer more in-game options (I forget what they are- slow down, speed up, and more?) then that would obviously be the preferable choice.

LagunaCid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Neither. Get a Supercard.
EDIT: And how $10-20 more is out of your range, I can't begin to fathom, considering you will be saving quite a lot of dollars in the first place with a flashcart.

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LagunaCid said:
EDIT: And how $10-20 more is out of your range, I can't begin to fathom, considering you will be saving quite a lot of dollars in the first place with a flashcart.
Please try not to be so arrogant. I am on a very tight budget at the moment. The other half of the story is that I have another two friends with birthdays coming up. Don't go assuming I have enough money next time please.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'd say AceKard 2 also.....Great looking GUI, and it's actually a totally newly developed product...While EDGE started off as a clone, but improved....

But, both carts are very similar...and the main thing that should concern you is game compatibility...both carts have perfect compatibility, so just order what you prefer (GUI with many segments and kinda "Innovative" or R4-a-like firmware with better touch response and control)..

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usually I would also vote for the Acekard 2. However after having several go defective on me. This time I'll have to give it to the EDGE. It just seems like a much sturdier card to me. Plus if the rumors are correct, its a CycloDS clone. Meaning that its like the Cyclo except without all the frills such as in game guide or RTS. Otherwise it a decent card, as long as you don't mind clones that is.

LagunaCid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
matrix121391 said:
LagunaCid said:
Please try not to be so arrogant. I am on a very tight budget at the moment. The other half of the story is that I have another two friends with birthdays coming up. Don't go assuming I have enough money next time please.
I apologize if I sounded arrogant, wasn't my intention.
But well, the first part of my post is still valid, I guess.
$25 for a Supercard at Dealextreme.
It does almost everything that a CycloDS does, it just takes a bit to figure how to make them all work :3

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LagunaCid said:
i'd actually have to agree with him. pay the extra for the support and frills

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LagunaCid said:
matrix121391 said:
LagunaCid said:
It does almost everything that a CycloDS does, it just takes a bit to figure how to make them all work :3
Sorry for being so antsy about the whole comment thing. I apologize as well. I'll look into the SuperCard. Thanks!

Edit: Is it the SuperCard DS-One as shown here? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
matrix121391 said:
LagunaCid said:
matrix121391 said:
LagunaCid said:
Sorry for being so antsy about the whole comment thing. I apologize as well. I'll look into the SuperCard. Thanks!

Edit: Is it the SuperCard DS-One as shown here? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097

Yes. It's good, but a bit on the slow side. But still, it's features for the price make up for it.

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would it be slower or faster than the R4? Because I honestly don't want to spend a lot of money on a flashcart for my friend. All my other friends only know about the R4, so as long as it's better than the R4, then it'll be fine because the R4 is the only thing they can compare it to.

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had a AK2 and it was all good until it died 3 months after owning it (from DX). I am replacing it with an Edge as it is in transit. I own a SCDS1 and like it, but it is for those who like to fiddle and can be cumbersome to the novice. It all depends on your friends level. The SCDS1 is a great card, the AK2 is nice but having issues all over. The Edge like people stated is simple and straight forward. Also it uses the same cheats that the R4, and AK2 use as well, if that matters.

So i would go with Edge if a newbie, SCDS1 if he has he patients to fiddle with it.

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my friend isn't very electronically savvy. I guess an EDGE it is for her. Maybe I should get an SCDS1 since it was a lot cheaper than I thought it'd be. I've heard plenty of good stuff about the SCDS1, almost if not as good as the CycloDS. And for half the price!!!

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you just want the cheapest thing that is better than an R4, that would be a DSTT. ($12)
DSTT
The EDGE is much better, but they cost twice as much:
EDGE
I would not buy another AK2 or any other flash card that is held together with tiny plastic clips, regardless of its other merits.
AK2

grog.gif
lecture.gif

omgroffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
matrix121391 said:
Does it come in black?

Edit: Why is the price difference so steep from other sites? Dealextreme costs $12 while others sell it for $30. Highly suspect...

While DealExtreme is known for cheap prices, shipping to the US can take quite long. Your mileage may vary but it seems to take anywhere form 2-4 weeks. So if it's a timely present you might want to consider a US reseller.

Though I value the opinion of these members highly, I wouldn't bother listening to the more expensive suggestions. You've already pointed out that it's a gift for a girl who is not technically savvy (I would point out the girl part, but there may be a minority of females here I don't want to upset
smile.gif
). Obviously you just want something that gets the job done, and if it's a gift then something reliable.

In that case the Edge or the DSTT will do just fine. Don't go with the Acekard 2. I have one en route to my doorstep but they have a reputation for failing. I think the reliability of this gift is much much more important than the features of the Acekard (or worse, CycloDS) that she will more than likely never use nor ever care about.

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^^^omgroffles makes the perfect point. Ease of use sounds like just what you want, and that she will never use most of the advanced features. She most likely just wants to play games.

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey!!! I have a CycloDS!
angry.gif
But anyway, thanks for your input. I'll take that into serious consideration. I'm leaning towards EDGE, as it seems to be the most popular between the two. Would've picked up a DSTT, but apparently the whole shipping problem... Thanks again!

omgroffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
matrix121391 said:
Hey!!! I have a CycloDS!
angry.gif
But anyway, thanks for your input. I'll take that into serious consideration. I'm leaning towards EDGE, as it seems to be the most popular between the two. Would've picked up a DSTT, but apparently the whole shipping problem... Thanks again!

Didn't mean "worse" as in I don't like it
tongue.gif

By "worse" I meant there will be even more features that she won't be using, unused features that you and your friends will be paying extra for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill