www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
acekardlogo.gif
Acekard 2 coming soon
AK RPG minus the NAND flash

acekard2.jpg
The Acekard Team have announced the arrival of their latest slot-1 cart; unimaginatively called the "Acekard 2".
[title:Official Feature List]
  • Perfect compatibility. No need to convert, no need to flash.
  • Save file is written directly to TF card. No need to manually select save size, no data loss.
  • Automatic DLDI patching. Run homebrew programs without converting.
  • Supports soft-reset, Download Play and WiFi gaming.
  • Supports SDHC TF card. Virtually unlimited storage size.
  • Supports any brand of TF, with no slowdown.
  • Supports Action Replay cheats (in .dat, .xml and .cc format). Built-in editor.
  • Low power consumption for longer operational times.
  • Intuitive interface, both button and touch controlled.
  • Built-in multiple languages and DIY skinning
  • Supports expansion packs and Slot-2 games/devices.
  • Supports screen brightness adjustement (4 levels, DS Lite only)
  • Supports directly TXT reading, MP3 and movies playback via Moonshell.
  • Supports running GBA games via an expansion pack (expansion card sold separately).

Surprisingly, given it's name; the Acekard 2 is not a successor to the Acekard RPG and rather an alternative buy. The Acekard 2 doesn't contain the built in NAND flash or the on-board USB port the RPG has, and should be available at a lower price. It will also strangely not be open-source despite using almost exactly the same loader as the RPG.

The team claim that the Acekard 2 will be able to run all games at full speed using *any* micro SD card. The Acekard 2 will be available at most stores carrying the Acekard RPG in the coming weeks.

icon11.gif
Acekard homepage

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jax said:
So the Acekard is now basically an R4?
rolleyes.gif

Except with SDHC support, .xml and .cc cheat format support, built-in expansion pack support, and a much better interface with touch navigation.

Revised your statement for you.

QUOTE(Jax @ Mar 10 2008, 05:24 AM) So the Acekard is now basically a flashcart?
rolleyes.gif

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
It's a cheaper alternative to those that don't want, or don't plan to use the onboard flash memory the RPG has.

The Acekard 2 should be much cheaper and probably at a very competitive price.
It seems like there are many cards like that out right now...but I guess it could get some of those opensource features if it's using the same loader(which also looks nice)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph said:
It seems like there are many cards like that out right now...but I guess it could get some of those opensource features if it's using the same loader(which also looks nice)
It of course won't use the same loader, as the RPG kernel was designed for use with NAND flash.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Urza said:
Seraph said:
It of course won't use the same loader, as the RPG kernel was designed for use with NAND flash.
And also, the AK2 loader is not open source. Did no one read the first post?
rolleyes.gif

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
And also, the AK2 loader is not open source. Did no one read the first post?
rolleyes.gif
I was just talking about some of the features that the RPG has because of it being opensource, and saying its loader is almost exactly the same. I didn't actually say/think it was opensource or it was the exact same loader...

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph said:
I was just talking about some of the features that the RPG has because of it being opensource, and saying its loader is almost exactly the same. I didn't actually say/think it was opensource or it was the exact same loader...
That made no sense at all.

recover

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suppose the promise for full speed on *any* game using *any* SD card justifies the removal of the NAND memory and the USB port.
But what I don't get is the closed source.
I guess the magic full speed thingie is all done in software and they want to protect the trade secret and try to get people to buy the Acekard 2.

Kinda makes sense and should be a good move by them, if they manage to play it out all the way...

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
recover said:
I suppose the promise for full speed on *any* game using *any* SD card justifies the removal of the NAND memory and the USB port.
I disagree completely; there are other factors besides in-game slowdowns to consider. Loading time and file transfer time are two, then theres the benefit of not having to take out the MicroSD card to copy over files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is