"Accidentally" updated, What can I do now?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by ROYGES, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ROYGES
    OP

ROYGES Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    So, My daughter connected My switch to the internet and well, fucking updated it, I had it with AutoRcm on ReiNX, What can I do now?
    Can I still use AutoRCM and ReiNX on it?
    are My back ups useless now? (I did all the Nan back ups and all that before I started using ReiNX

radicalwookie likes this.
  2. cherup

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    AutoRcm will work in the same way, but you cannot use your old nand backups any longer with OFW.

3. cattivik66

cattivik66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    Italy
    You didn't lose anythink except booting ofw in a lower firmware release and expect a ban from online services on the future.

4. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    You are going to be banned if you use some nsp, but there aren’t any other trouble, every thing would have to work properly, just updapte your rei

5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    You might get banned, you might not, I think 6.0 burns fuses so you can't go back(but you should make a new nand backup, I'm pretty sure you can get your nsp working, probably everyone will be update in to 6.0 soon I wouldn't worry about it too much, try and prevent this in the future.

6. rrocha

rrocha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    Portugal
    First of all, boot into hekate and go check your fuses. Post here how many fuses you have burnt and then we'll go from there. Until you have that answer, everything else is speculation

7. coolfi

coolfi Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Let us know the status of your fuses.

8. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Just reapply AutoRCM. All a system update does w/r/t RCM stuff is undo AutoRCM. Enter RCM mode using whatever physical method you used before (personal recommendation if youre gonna do AutoRCM anyway is to just use some tinfoil), boot Hekate, go to Tools -> AutoRCM and enable AutoRCM there.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Assuming he knows that his daughter updated his system, that would suggest he booted into OFW. Booting OFW w/o some form of CFW burns fuses.

How many fuses he has burnt doesn't matter.

9. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    While nothing will protect you 100% here is how I handle this problem in my house.
    A. Train the kids on how updates can screw up their games. No updates without getting approval from Dad.
    B. No one in the house knows the WiFi password but me. Want to connect a device, come see me. The wife is allowed but with a 30 character password she doesn’t want to know it. :rofl:

Boriskr and Dust2dust like this.
  10. Captain_Smek

Captain_Smek GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Canada
    I mac address ban mine lol.

You will be ok though. Everything for the most part works the same now on 6.0 like others said just reapply autorcm and have all your homebrew and cfw up to date and it will be good to go. The efuses will be burnt though so no downgrades and you will need to make a new nand backup due to that.

11. der:Tom

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    I don´t get why everyone is so focused on their fuses, as long as you´re not on 4.1 or lower for an EVENTUALLY coming coldboot exploit imo it doesn´t matter if you burn your fuses or not.
    Since you always can push a payload you also always will have a way to boot a lower firmware this way also with burnt fuses, thats been possible a long time now.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Pushing a lower firmware with a payload on a system with burnt fuses does nothing for you. You're not "downgrading your ofw" so what's the point? Bragging rights?

Say a coldboot or warm boot method comes out for 4.1 and your on OFW 6.0. You cant simply launch a lower firmware with a payload and apply the new exploit. Your OFW has to be able to run that lower firmware with no hacks!

13. der:Tom

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    And thats exactly what i said.
    For example: If i´m on 6.0 and it has homebrew issues i can "virtually" downgrade back to 5.1 although my fuses are burnt. But you´re absolutely right that i can´t use any exploits that will eventually come because my fuses are burnt.
    But if i´m already higher than 4.1 (most users are on 5.1 and i doubt that the OP was on 4.1), what´s the point of "saving" your fuses? The hope that a coldboot exploit for 5.1 will come? This wont happen.

14. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Okay, just get the latest reiNX files from their guide @ reinx.guide and reinstall the autoRCM with the toolkit

Make a new nand backup as well, incase you brick. you might as well do it with the ReiNX toolkit as the switch has been online and would most likely have been flagged by nintendo for future ban.

I also suggest using 90dns to prevent connection to nintendos servers for future in case you aren't banned

15. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    You could use the exploits if you downgraded but it would be kind of pointless because if you downgrade you have to use Hekate/ReiNX/SXOS to bypass the fuse checks (also if you downgraded sleep mode wouldn’t work)

16. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    The same was said many times here about those on 9.4 and above on 3DS and there are countless other examples.

17. lolcatzuru
    This message by lolcatzuru has been removed from public view by osaka35, Sep 28, 2018, Reason: off-topic.
    Sep 28, 2018
  18. comput3rus3r
    This message by comput3rus3r has been removed from public view by osaka35, Sep 28, 2018, Reason: off-topic.
    Sep 28, 2018
  19. ROYGES
    OP

ROYGES Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Thank you everybody for replying I will update Rains and do another Back up.

Good ser, I was on 4.1

20. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
    This is why you not only turn off updates and turn on airplane, but also DELETE ALL INTERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS and tell those around you to not re-enter them.