Hacking ACCIDENTALLY FORMATTED WBFS DRIVE!!!!!!!

youse123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I accidentally formatted my WBFS drive because when I had my hdd plugged in, it said that my drive was WBFS drive was W: and my NTFS drive was J:. I had to restart and then the drives swapped letters itself. I did backup my NTFS drive, because I had a few corrupt files on there. BUT NOT MY WII GAMES. Is there any software or recovery program which is able to recover and find WBFS drive games????????????

Thank You

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nope i doubt it
WBFS is a filesystem specifically for the wii
i doubt there would be a recovery tool

also, its impossible as you formated the drive, not just simply erased the goods.
there is no physical possible way your games can be recovered
the data is gone.
have fun re downloading your iso's

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
A tip: After you recover the lost games, choose FAT file system and Configurable USB Loader.
There are several tools for these events - accidents - on FAT partitions.
ph34r.gif

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
youse123 said:
the format took about 1 second
its still on there

What people are saying is that there is NO TOOL that can recover a WBFS partition. Its not that all the data is gone its the fact that there is NO WAY of getting it back.

Think of it as if you had all your games on a DVD then smashed it into a billion bits... The data is still there just no way to get it back

fig2k4

Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
BTW, this might be possible. When a WBFS drive is formatted, it doesn't overwrite the disc info table, only the header and block allocation table. Depending on whether the new file system overwrites it when the drive was formatted (which I doubt with a quick format), this table might still be intact. So it would just be a case of checking if there's a valid disc info block at the expected location. If it's valid, all the data could be recovered for that disc.

Edit: Like I expected, it's possible to recover discs from a WBFS formatted partition, but if you formatted as NTFS or FAT32 then the disc info table will have been overwritten, so the data is gone..

Edit 2: Let me know if you did format as WBFS because I have a working recovery tool in Wii Backup Manager that could help. Like I said though, if you used another file system, then the data is definitely gone.

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I believe he intended to format his NTFS partiton to fix corrupted files there but instead formatted his WBFS partition instead. One of the common scenario users lose their WBFS partition.

Take this situation as a way to format it to FAT to store games as wbfs files instead.

ayoward

Trophies
XP
Country
fig2k4 said:
Edit 2: Let me know if you did format as WBFS because I have a working recovery tool in Wii Backup Manager that could help. Like I said though, if you used another file system, then the data is definitely gone.

I have a similar issue and I did format originally as WBFS. I didn't accidentally format the drive, the system hung as I was playing a game from the drive, upon reset, the drive can no longer be read. Wii Backup manager cannot read the drive either, it is showing up in Windows as RAW. Can you let me know what recovery tool I could use? I don't want to have to format and recopy all the files back on.

Thanks,

ayoward

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr