Accidental SYSNAND update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by anon1234, Aug 17, 2014.

1. anon1234
    OP

anon1234 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    I would like to update my emunand and then extract a backup of it for future purposes (in case nintendo decides to ruin the fun and releases FW 9.0).

I am really paranoid about this though, there's numerous tutorials about it with conflicting opinions whether you should agree to EULA on SYSNAND or not etc.

I am 95% sure I did everything right,
    - made a NAND backup
    - formatted EMUNAND
    - WIFI is only set up on SYSNAND EMUNAND
    - it says GW 3D 4.xxxx on top screen when I enter system settings
    - I go straight to last tab and press system update;

this unpleasant screen is what comes up next:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I agreed to EULA before already. I have a feeling that if I press "accept" I will share the same fate as this poor guy...

I'm out of ideas. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Then press Decline, I guess?
    Could always get your 3DS nand-modded so that you can easily backup your 4.5 and restore it later if problems arise.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Isn't it supposed to give that screen no matter what? I've seen that every single time I updated my 3DS - I don't see why emuNAND would be any different.

4. anon1234
    OP

anon1234 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    this is precisely what I would like to know - is this normal for this screen to appear and am I supposed to press "I agree"?

5. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Yes, that is perfectly normal

6. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    when you set up a wifi connection from emunan it will be created on sysnand as well. But you can delete it from sysnand and will remain on emunand. Thats one mo security measure that you could take advantage of.

7. EMegamanu

EMegamanu GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    France
    Uh... definitely no !

I setted up the first connection slot on Emunand, but on Sysnand all three are empty.

8. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    but how could one update sysnand without a connection setted up on it?
    i mean, that my guess, im scared as fck to update mu emunand too

Ammako likes this.
  9. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    There's really nothing to be scared of unless one doesn't trust their ability to follow directions. While in emuNAND, go to Settings. If the firmware version says GW3D in front of the number, you're clear to proceed two screens to the right to the System Update button as long as you don't exit the Settings first.

10. Veign06

Veign06 Member

May 18, 2008
    United States
    Hah yeah I have yet to update mine either. I got my card just after the 8.0 update went live so there hasnt really been a reason to. I set up my wifi on sysnand and went into emunand and the setup was there. I then went to sysnand and deleted the settings and they are still there on emunand, so I think I am good on that front. I still keep my wifi turned off until I am going to use it but it seems like there is no way to screw it up if you have deleted the wifi connection settings in sysnand.

11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    But in the linked thread, the OP went to system settings and it *did* say it was GW emunand, but it still updated their sysnand

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Unfortunately sometimes people don't like to admit they screwed up, people will always be all "yeah I followed them EXACTLY"...... Which 9/10 isn't the case

You will notice pretty much all the "accidental" updates, where from when emunand was first released, and was most likely down to people skimming the guide and rushing into it

Margen67, IronClouds and Queno138 like this.
  13. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    Create folders so that you can aptly identify if you're in Sysnand or Emunand.
    This way, you won't have to rely on checking system settings
    (also because exiting system settings goes back to sysnand, and might confuse users)

If I remember correctly, Emunand in normal mode (not classic) won't show retail 3DS carts,
    so that may help you during your "folder creation phase".

I'll be partial-quoting myself.
    Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Cheers!

Margen67, Vickyle and Veign06 like this.
  14. Veign06

Veign06 Member

May 18, 2008
    United States
    Havent seen this, great little extra comfort step. Created just one folder named Sysnand and another Emunand. Thanks!

Queno138 likes this.
  15. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Whoa, wait. Either I am misunderstanding here or you're supposed to have WiFi set up only on EmuNAND, not SysNAND.

16. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I saw this idea mentioned in another post, and thought about doing that for a second, but fuck that, I'll wait for Gateway to hold my hand with idiot-proof PDF instructions. I want to put on extreme safety kid gloves when fucking with my precious 4.5 xl.

17. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    since the update will be performed while using the emunand, I can't see why it would matter if system nand had a wifi set up, but if you have a 4.1 - 4.5 system nand then why would a wifi setting be setup in the first place since it would never be used?

18. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    ...If you have WiFi set up on only the SysNAND, you can't really update the EmuNAND...

19. anon1234
    OP

anon1234 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks for pointing that out, I actually meant EMUNAND and wrote SYSNAND. I had WIFI enabled only on EMUNAND... too much NAND in one post...

In case somebody wondered, I successfully updated my EMUNAND, created a backup of it and then reverted back to GW 3D 4.5.0 :)

If that helps anyone - I agreed to EULA on both EMUNAND and SYSNAND, it didn't matter in the end. What mattered the most I think was to make sure there was no WIFI access point set up in SYSNAND.

20. adragon123

adragon123 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2014
    United States
    you need to delete wifi from sysnand and only set it up in emunand