Hacking Accidental SYSNAND update

anon1234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would like to update my emunand and then extract a backup of it for future purposes (in case nintendo decides to ruin the fun and releases FW 9.0).

I am really paranoid about this though, there's numerous tutorials about it with conflicting opinions whether you should agree to EULA on SYSNAND or not etc.

I am 95% sure I did everything right,
- made a NAND backup
- formatted EMUNAND
- WIFI is only set up on SYSNAND EMUNAND
- it says GW 3D 4.xxxx on top screen when I enter system settings
- I go straight to last tab and press system update;

this unpleasant screen is what comes up next:

Ih19bCX.jpg

I'm pretty sure I agreed to EULA before already. I have a feeling that if I press "accept" I will share the same fate as this poor guy...

I'm out of ideas. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

D

Deleted-236924

Then press Decline, I guess?
Could always get your 3DS nand-modded so that you can easily backup your 4.5 and restore it later if problems arise.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't it supposed to give that screen no matter what? I've seen that every single time I updated my 3DS - I don't see why emuNAND would be any different.

anon1234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't it supposed to give that screen no matter what? I've seen that every single time I updated my 3DS - I don't see why emuNAND would be any different.

this is precisely what I would like to know - is this normal for this screen to appear and am I supposed to press "I agree"?

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you set up a wifi connection from emunan it will be created on sysnand as well. But you can delete it from sysnand and will remain on emunand. Thats one mo security measure that you could take advantage of.

EMegamanu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
when you set up a wifi connection from emunan it will be created on sysnand as well. But you can delete it from sysnand and will remain on emunand. Thats one mo security measure that you could take advantage of.

Uh... definitely no !

I setted up the first connection slot on Emunand, but on Sysnand all three are empty.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but how could one update sysnand without a connection setted up on it?
i mean, that my guess, im scared as fck to update mu emunand too

There's really nothing to be scared of unless one doesn't trust their ability to follow directions. While in emuNAND, go to Settings. If the firmware version says GW3D in front of the number, you're clear to proceed two screens to the right to the System Update button as long as you don't exit the Settings first.

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but how could one update sysnand without a connection setted up on it?
i mean, that my guess, im scared as fck to update mu emunand too
Hah yeah I have yet to update mine either. I got my card just after the 8.0 update went live so there hasnt really been a reason to. I set up my wifi on sysnand and went into emunand and the setup was there. I then went to sysnand and deleted the settings and they are still there on emunand, so I think I am good on that front. I still keep my wifi turned off until I am going to use it but it seems like there is no way to screw it up if you have deleted the wifi connection settings in sysnand.

D

Deleted-236924

There's really nothing to be scared of unless one doesn't trust their ability to follow directions. While in emuNAND, go to Settings. If the firmware version says GW3D in front of the number, you're clear to proceed two screens to the right to the System Update button as long as you don't exit the Settings first.
But in the linked thread, the OP went to system settings and it *did* say it was GW emunand, but it still updated their sysnand

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Unfortunately sometimes people don't like to admit they screwed up, people will always be all "yeah I followed them EXACTLY"...... Which 9/10 isn't the case

You will notice pretty much all the "accidental" updates, where from when emunand was first released, and was most likely down to people skimming the guide and rushing into it

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Create folders so that you can aptly identify if you're in Sysnand or Emunand.
This way, you won't have to rely on checking system settings
(also because exiting system settings goes back to sysnand, and might confuse users)

If I remember correctly, Emunand in normal mode (not classic) won't show retail 3DS carts,
so that may help you during your "folder creation phase".

I'll be partial-quoting myself.
Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Leaving system settings will let it boot back to system nand.

Here is what you should do.

When you first boot your 3DS, without using Emunand, create a few folders to show you are in sysnand, like this:

LwHN58V.jpg

Now install whatever, enter Emunand and insert your flashcart.
Now rename those folders:

ZueAfgY.jpg

(ignore the fact that my games don't appear on sysnand)

Now to be sure, power off and on.
What folders do you see?

If you see the sys folder again, you know which mode you are in.
and when you emunand, you see the emu folders, you know what mode you are in :)

Once you can confirm that the folder method is accurate,
you won't need to enter and exit to check again.

Cheers!

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Create folders so that you can aptly identify if you're in Sysnand or Emunand.
This way, you won't have to rely on checking system settings
(also because exiting system settings goes back to sysnand, and might confuse users)

If I remember correctly, Emunand in normal mode (not classic) won't show retail 3DS carts,
so that may help you during your "folder creation phase".

I'll be partial-quoting myself.
Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Cheers!

Havent seen this, great little extra comfort step. Created just one folder named Sysnand and another Emunand. Thanks!

Reactions: Queno138

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw this idea mentioned in another post, and thought about doing that for a second, but fuck that, I'll wait for Gateway to hold my hand with idiot-proof PDF instructions. I want to put on extreme safety kid gloves when fucking with my precious 4.5 xl.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, wait. Either I am misunderstanding here or you're supposed to have WiFi set up only on EmuNAND, not SysNAND.
since the update will be performed while using the emunand, I can't see why it would matter if system nand had a wifi set up, but if you have a 4.1 - 4.5 system nand then why would a wifi setting be setup in the first place since it would never be used?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
since the update will be performed while using the emunand, I can't see why it would matter if system nand had a wifi set up, but if you have a 4.1 - 4.5 system nand then why would a wifi setting be setup in the first place since it would never be used?
...If you have WiFi set up on only the SysNAND, you can't really update the EmuNAND...

anon1234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...If you have WiFi set up on only the SysNAND, you can't really update the EmuNAND...

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually meant EMUNAND and wrote SYSNAND. I had WIFI enabled only on EMUNAND... too much NAND in one post...

In case somebody wondered, I successfully updated my EMUNAND, created a backup of it and then reverted back to GW 3D 4.5.0 :)

If that helps anyone - I agreed to EULA on both EMUNAND and SYSNAND, it didn't matter in the end. What mattered the most I think was to make sure there was no WIFI access point set up in SYSNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning