Accessing eShop on Previous Firmware

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by SSJ2 Dark, Jul 26, 2015.

1. SSJ2 Dark
    OP

SSJ2 Dark Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I'm just getting into the 3DS custom software scene, so I don't know a lot yet. I read about the Spider web browser method to dump New Leaf RAM for editing and injection, and that's pretty cool. I have an original 3DS with 9.2 (updated via Smash Bros 3DS), so I tried it and it works great.

But now I think about how I'd like to get some Fire Emblem and Smash Bros. DLC, and that if I connect to the eShop, it will require/force an update, and then I can't use the Spider exploit. So given that my 3DS has no mods besides outdated firmware (which I'm open to, depending on cost), is there a way for me to purchase off the eShop and still use Spider tools?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
  3. SSJ2 Dark
    OP

SSJ2 Dark Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the reply, TRJ! I'll try the QR code method tonight after work, and read about the multi patcher method.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me the gist of what the QR code is doing? I'd guess it's blocking the firmware check or sending a dummy response, but I'd like to learn a bit about it.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I believe it patches out the CheckSysUpdateAvailable function to always return 0 (no update available), making the system think it is up to date.

Zidapi likes this.
  5. SSJ2 Dark
    OP

SSJ2 Dark Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
  6. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    This QR code works for fw above 9.2 too?