accessing eshop on a different region

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Arkansaw, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Arkansaw
    OP

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    can this be done at all and what exactly is needed? I read about the SecureInfo thing but still not sure if it is relevant to eshop access

2. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Can it be done? Sure. Is it easy, is there instructions and will it work? No, depends and unknown.

If you're region swapping a firmware and have a hardmod (or if it's an EmuNAND in rxTools, maybe...) you can check the region swapping thread for instructions that may work, but it's a long read.

If you just want to access another regions' shop without a region swap, then
    1. Region lock still applies, so any content downloaded won't work without further means to launch it.
    2. Theoretically, if you unlink your NNID and know what memory values to set, you can access any other regions' shop. However, this is untested if it actually works to purchase content and you can't download free content (updates) without a NNID, and trying to have one of a different region connected while doing so = ban.
    3. As far as I know, step 2) is basically undocumented, just testimony that it happened (not that the testimony is illegitimate, just that no instructions exist.)
    In any case, it's fairly impractical as it stands unless you are region swapping, and have a hardmod if it's SysNAND. I believe there is still investigating going on, but so far this is as far as it's gone.

Arkansaw likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You don't need a NNID to download updates. I did so on my n3DS just fine.
    It seems like people's results with region swapping vary, eShop works for some people but not for others.

4. Arkansaw
    OP

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Thanks for the detailed information. I was hoping to download some demos/free updates, but it looks like for practical purposes I am better off getting a console for the target region anyway