About your HD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JamesA.Zych, Aug 15, 2012.

Aug 15, 2012

About your HD by JamesA.Zych at 11:23 PM (441 Views / 2 Likes) 3 replies

1. JamesA.Zych
    OP

Newcomer JamesA.Zych Newbie

Ok this is just a quick little fyi for anyone using a usb loaing program. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere and maybe some people think its obvious but you need to make sure your FAT32 partion is a primary partition and not a logical partition. After much butt pain with simple problems this appears to have fixed everything to include why my usbloader forwarder was not working and why Dios Mios was not working for me.

To repeat, for everyone cuase it ain't in the guides, or I have been blind for years, ensure your FAT32 partion is a primary partition and not a logical partition.

That is all.

2 people like this.
  2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    good advice, although I have read that nugget of info on here several times

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I've mentioned this from time to time as well to people who got stuck with their drive somehow (FAT32, first partition, primary. And for Xneek: a cluster size of 32k or less).

Still: thanks for telling us about it. It's good to share what you have found out. :)

4. CheatFreak47

Member CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

United States
    The best possible HDD set up is 1 Partition: FAT32, 32k Clusters (if you plan on using Dios Mios, it's required), Primary, Active, and always plugged into the bottom port on the Wii. If an HDD won't work when you have it set up like that, then you need to get a different HDD. As whatever you are trying to use with it probably doesn't support the drive controller in your HDD.

Other notes for n00bs i've come about through experience.
    Remember that an app is only as new as it was released: meaning a newer app may have newer USB libraries and may work with your USB, but older apps that were compiled with older USB libraries might not.
    SD is usually faster than SDHC unless you have a high-end SDHC card.
    The bigger the FAT32 partition on the USB in question, the slower transfers and such will be.
    Use EaseUS Partition Master for all your partition and formatting needs if you have a Windows PC.

(*feel free to add to my list)