About to start Mass Effect

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gundam Eclipse, Jan 11, 2012.

Jan 11, 2012
  1. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    Is there anything i should know before playing this? I plan to use both biotics and weapons, forget what the actual 'class' name is.
    Any battle tips, stuff i should go for or something? Also, how does the romance aspect work?

2. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Romance works based on your actions and the way you talk to people, for example, if someone in your group doesn't like aliens, yet you defend aliens, that person will conflict with you a bit, if someone else talks about something they did in the past, and you criticise them, they won't like it either.. Basically, you can't really pleas everyone, you must first choose the girl you want and then follow through with it. =O

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    If you don't play through at least once as a female Shepard, you're missing out on superior voice acting. (my opinion, but many people agree)
    I'd personally recommend a paragon male and a renegade female to experience many different aspects of the game.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Ah yes, "superior voice acting". That's what we're calling it now, eh? :creep:

NOT A "Ah yes, 'reapers'" REFERENCE.

But generally combat is rather easy to understand and most classes will work on your standard difficulty level. Mass Effect isn't a game that requires SPECIFIC SKILL X or SPECIFIC TACTIC Y to win, it's basically just open ended in the sense of what characters you want to travel with, what class you want to play as, and what decisions you want to make. Difficulty curve is not really an issue.

Personally I play as generic male Sheppard, I may do a female run through once I have time. Currently I'm getting eaten by Skyrim and still need to complete the rest of MGS HD and probably also touch SR3 again, not to mention Nier and Vanquish which are coming in the mail.

Still, Mass Effect is fantastic as long as you enjoy sci-fi and good WRPGs. If you ever want a high fantasy taste of something kinda like Mass Effect, play Dragon Age Origins. DA2 is quite shit in comparison but Origins is still a fantastic high fantasy game, and the expansion pack (Awakening) is great as well.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    This. I also heard that when you're choosing your teammates for missions, choosing the partner you want before you pick the other guy makes a difference as well. Also, in between missions, before you talk to other people, make sure you talk to the person of your interest.

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's a great game, though I would warn you that the gameplay hasn't aged perfectly. It's still pretty good, but it only gets better with the sequel (Though the RPG elements were sadly minimized. Still, ME3 is bringing them back with a vengeance, so that's good).

Otherwise, choose carefully, and have a blast.

7. CrimzonEyed
    This message by CrimzonEyed has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 10, 2016.
    Jan 18, 2012
  8. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    I pre-ordered ME3 but never played the first two in the series. I wanted to start from the first one, but it's only available on the 360 and I left my 360 back home when I moved to the east coast for school. I only have my PS3 with me. Will I miss out on a lot of important backstory if I start from ME2 on the PS3?

9. Gahars

United States
    You're missing out on a great game, sure, but you should be fine with starting on the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2. It includes an interactive comic that catches you up on the story of the first and allows you to make many of the crucial choices that are bound to have an impact on Mass Effect 3.

Edit: And if you're ever confused by any of the lore or backstory, the game provides an in encyclopedia of sorts that keeps track of it all for you. If that doesn't help, there's always the Wiki.

10. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

India
    I know its been forever since I asked this question, but I finally finished ME1 a couple of days back, and have ME2 installed now.
    Finding it a bit hard to get used to, the new interface and all that.
    Anyways, thought i would ask the same question again, just in case.
    Anything i need to know before i really begin ME2? Like how loyalty works or something?
    Not going for romance as i heard that cheating in ME2 will have consequences on ME3 :C

11. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    loyality will affect the endings in the game...besides that just get in and enjoy it

12. Gahars

United States
    Oh, and be sure to buy all of the ship upgrades (except for the medbay add on; that isn't necessary for the end game).

Something will come up, and you will have to save some people (You'll know exactly what I'm referring to when you get there). Make sure you are all upgraded with full crew loyalty and go immediately; many of those people will die if you wait around.

13. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

India
    Quick question, are the DLC characters(Zaeed, Kasumi) needed to survive the endgame missions?

14. Gahars

United States
    No, you can do perfectly fine without them; they just offer another choice if you really want it.

15. Rob3rr

Newcomer Rob3rr Member

United Kingdom
    Spice things up by choosing a different class from the soldier. Throwing people about is fun! (And makes for great combos)

16. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

India
    I chose a Vanguard. Heavy Charge and then a shotgun to the face is nothing to laugh about~

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, been a few days since I finished it, absolutely brilliant game, far better than the 1st(Which also I found amazing) and the endgame missions had me on the edge of my seat throughout, the music helped.

Can't wait for March 6 D: