OmniSlash2o6

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a question does Wasabi abandon there modchips like the Wiikey team? Because currently I'm deciding to either get a Wiikey2 6-Wire(ModChipCentral told me that it didnt have eject bugs but hes not really sure) or Wasabi V3.

powerpuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They all abandon their products. You have to realize that these "teams" are a couple of guys sitting in an apartment in Hong Kong with a Wii disassembled on the table. They hack it up, make a chip using commonly-available parts (Atmel, or PIC) and when it stops being super fun they move on. They're not making enough money on what is essentially a quasi-legal product to justify it being a full-time occupation for them.

So what I do is... find the chip that plays most of the games I want right now, has very few bugs, install it and be happy.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
powerpuff said:
They all abandon their products.
Well that may be true, but the Wasabi Team has released a lot of updates, to solve problems and make their chip compatibel with new drivechips (D2E to be precise), where as the D2Pro (wiikey) teams answer to these problems was allways just to bring out a new version of their chip, despite the fact, that they have a Jtag-update-system. So I think it's save to say the wasabi team is not as likely to abandon their chip as the D2Pro (wiikey) team.

powerpuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiFree did a lot of updates, as well. But they've not updated in 2 years now. *grin*

But I concur - Wasabi has a better overall policy than WiiKey, who have always been kind of jackasstic.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That was because YAOSM came along and it was better. WiiFree users could just flash their chips to YAOSM.
wink.gif

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
team infectus also keeps on working on their argon modchip to keep it up to date for the new drives.

they recently released a 6+1 wires firmware like the wiikey2, but it's still buggy on D2E.

i personally have an argon with wasabus firmware 2.2 (9+1 wires) and works perfectly.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
atomikramp said:
team infectus also keeps on working on their argon modchip to keep it up to date for the new drives.

they recently released a 6+1 wires firmware like the wiikey2, but it's still buggy on D2E.

i personally have an argon with wasabus firmware 2.2 (9+1 wires) and works perfectly.
If I count correctly 6+1 wires are 7 wires, so it's one wire more than Wiikey2. Why would you even count this way, btw.? And the Argons are all pretty buggy on D2C2 and D2E. That's the general problem...

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Slowking said:
atomikramp said:

If I count correctly 6+1 wires are 7 wires, so it's one wire more than Wiikey2. Why would you even count this way, btw.? And the Argons are all pretty buggy on D2C2 and D2E. That's the general problem...

1 wire is not so much... and it's becouse the argon modchip takes the clock directly from the board instead of using an internal oscillator
i chose an argon couse of the support given by the team.

since firmware 2.2 it has no issue on D2C2 and D2E
the 6+1 wires (2.4 firmware) is buggy on D2E only, and they are fixing it up.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
atomikramp said:
Slowking said:
atomikramp said:

1 wire is not so much... and it's becouse the argon modchip takes the clock directly from the board instead of using an internal oscillator
So does the Wiikey2 and do you see it having 7 wires?
tongue.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Newer tests show that Wiikey2 still ahs eject issues. Very, very few and far fewer than the D2Pro, but they are still there. If you know that you have a drive that has this problem you should really go with Wasabi. It's the only chip at the moment, that has no eject issues at all.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Slowking said:
atomikramp said:
Slowking said:
atomikramp said:

So does the Wiikey2 and do you see it having 7 wires?
tongue.gif

wiikey2 has onboard oscillator.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
how can i say where an oscillator is if all components used are SMD?

and btw the wiikey team itself declared that wiikey2 has a "top quality on board oscillator"

btw, i'm not here to flame about wich modchip is better between d2pro9 wiikey2 and argon...

i just said my opinion.

argon is a well supported modchip, delivered by a team with more then 3 years of experience in the modding market for various console platforms.
jm2c

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You should be able to see a escilator on there. You can see it on every other chip like D2Pro, Wasabi, D2Sun, it's the metal box on all these chips. That it's on the Wiikey2s website, well wouldn't be the first time, that they have lied about a feature...
Well in the end it doesn't matter. Imo the best chip at the moment is Wasabi and that has 9 wires. Simply, because it has no issues at all. All the other chips have.
The thing why I would never recommend a Argon is, that the team may have years of experience, but in this years they never got it right. It had issues on D2C and then MAJOR issues on D2C2, until they announced that they couldn't do D2C2 because Argon had no oscillaor and they wold do hardware redesign. Now all of a sudden an oscillator isn't a problem anymore.
But as I've heard fro the few that still install Argons it still has bigger issues than other chips.
Btw. that I can't even find their 7 wire firmware or an isntall diagram is just poor. I mean I looked really hard and just couldn't find it. How should anyone trust a team that can't even maintain a website to maintain a modchip.
And I wouldn't discuss about it if I wouldn't think that you are giving people ill advise. I don't like the wiikey2 and it's team in particular, but I would never say to someone they should stay away from it or discuss with someone who loves the chip...

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive had wasabi since release, and have not updated once, never had any problems, all 300+ games work perfect, they did release 2 updates i think and that was only to support new chipsets, so wasabi has always supported all chipsets and apparently including future chipsets with a simple firmware update using dvd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong