About The MicroSD Card Connector

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by XxShalevElimelechxX, Nov 13, 2018.

1. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Heya, I've replaced the thermal paste in my switch since it got really hot while docked, and when I reassembled it I accidentally connected the microsd card reader in a way that it didn't have a proper connection to the PCB, and when I wanted to seat it properly I saw that a pin FROM THE FEMALE LEGO CONNECTOR, WHICH IS SOLDERED TO THE PCB broke.
    Now, to make it clear this is the first time it happened to me, I've swapped housings to 2 switches before without any problems at all, I don't know how it happened and I can't look at myself in the mirror rn. :/
    While looking for a new connector, I found out their manufacturer is Molex, but I don't know the exact model name.
    TL;DR: I somehow broke a pin off of the female microsd lego connector and don't know the model number. Can somebody help me please? :/ Thanks in advance!
    TO CLARIFY: THE TRACE ITSELF IS FINE, ONLY THE PIN BROKE OFF.

Last edited by XxShalevElimelechxX, Nov 13, 2018
  2. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    If the trace is fine can't you just scratch the lane a bit and solder the connector on the Mainboard?
    Or is something broken *inside* the connector and I misunderstood you?

3. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Or is something broken *inside* the connector and I misunderstood you?[/QUOTE]
    Nope, the pin was at the outer part of the connector, but the available place to solder on is to small so the wire falls off everytime. :/

4. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Any help, please?

5. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Can somebody please help? I know there aren't a lot of people who can help me here so I know I may wait even more for a proper answer.

6. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Well, after a lot of time I THINK I found what I was looking for. I ordered some and will update!

hippy dave likes this.
  7. 6adget

6adget GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Find some boards with similar connectors with small pins and practice taking them off and on until you really are comfortable with the procedure. Old motherboards, CD drives, anything that you can practice on. If you cant do a good job with one of those then you are not ready. Make sure you have all the proper tools. I cannot tell you how many repairs I do for clients each month who have a small problem just like you do, and try to fix it themselves. By the time I get the board it is usually cheaper to just replace it. Buy the part, take out the PCB, and take it to a repair shop. They will have it done in a few minutes, and you will have saved a bunch of cash. I know you didnt ask how to replace it, but thats my advice. good luck.

XxShalevElimelechxX likes this.
  8. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    I think I wasn't clear enough, I know how to do it by myself haha, I just need the connector's part number, but I think I found it out. I've ordered some of what I think are the correct connectors, will update! :)

9. 6adget

6adget GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.
    No, like I said at the end of my post, I understand thats not what you were asking about. Let us know how it turns out.

10. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    I sure will! :)

11. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I never did find the correct part. It isn`t a molex.

The thinnest BTB stacking connector they do is too wide (the central raised nipple bit)

So I chopped the ribbon just in front of the smoothing cap on the SD reader and used some AWG40 to go directly to the testpads, keeping the motherboard side intact. Can post a pinout if it would help...

SD_Connection.

Last edited by mattytrog, Nov 16, 2018
  12. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Thank you! Will try this if the connector definitely won't be what I ordered.

13. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    My connectors have arrived, and as @mattytrog have said, these connectors aren't the ones that I need, though they look really similar. I think the only thing that prevents the connection is the wider piece of plastic in the middle.
    Wish I knew it before I ordered them, oh well.
    Will use matty's pinout today or tomorrow and will update.

14. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Hello there @mattytrog , I don't feel comfortable nagging you the second time today, if you want me to stop please tell me! :)
    I've made a jumper according to your pinout and the microsd still couldn't be accessed, I've noticed 2 more half-broken pins inside the connector, do you have a pinout of all of the 16 pins in the connector/where the testpads go so I'll be able to solder more jumpers? Thanks in advance!

15. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You don't need the connector. Those are the only ones connected. Make sure it is grounded! Screw it on to the hole where it normally goes

16. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Thank you very much, you're a life saver!! :D

17. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    No worries. U up and running?

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  18. XxShalevElimelechxX
    OP

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Am now preparing my soldering equipment. :)

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  19. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ontario
    FYI, in the future if you decide you wanna try your hand at replacing it I suggest contacting one of the suppliers on AliExpress that sells this stuff. I took a look for the part at a few shops but they don't have that particular socket listed. I'd imagine they could send you one fairly easily if you asked though. I don't want to advertise for any particular seller but if you message me I can PM you one or two that I have dealt with and had a positive experience.

20. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Good idea. But it will take until the sun expands for it to get here.

Also, chances are they send the wrong bit. They don't have many schematics on their listings

DayVeeBoi likes this.