Homebrew About the 3ds/Wii u SDKs

Mizuguti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I just applied for the nintendo developer program, what I want to know is: am I allowed to release my games/ports as homebrew? Or will nintendo ninjas come after me and take my money?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just applied for the nintendo developer program, what I want to know is: am I allowed to release my games/ports as homebrew? Or will nintendo ninjas come after me and take my money?
What does the NDA say and go over it with your lawyer

Mizuguti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What does the NDA say and go over it with your lawyer
It doesnt really say anything, maybe beacause they dont expect you not to release what you develop on eshop, but they dont explicitly prohibit neither. And I dont have a lawyer...

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
You'd be breaking your NDA by releasing homebrew cia's from the SDK. As far as whether they'd go after you is another story - the 3ds isn't a big priority for them now. They don't even sell 3ds dev hardware anymore.

One thing is for certain though, you won't make a red cent selling your homebrew that way. The 3ds is not a viable commercial platform anymore, even if you somehow sell legit. It's 10 years old.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: peteruk

Mizuguti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You'd be breaking your NDA by releasing homebrew cia's from the SDK. As far as whether they'd go after you is another story - the 3ds isn't a big priority for them now. They don't even sell 3ds dev hardware anymore.

One thing is for certain though, you won't make a red cent selling your homebrew that way. The 3ds is not a viable commercial platform anymore, even if you somehow sell legit. It's 10 years old.
I dont intend on selling anything, I just want to do copies of games that I enjoy and play them on other platforms. Like, making a fnf clone just so I can play that on my 3ds, and releasing that to the community. I've seen other projects like the Five Nights at Freddy's port for 3ds/vita that use the nintendo/sony SDK, but there always is someone talking about the legality of them. And Im really afraid of doing something wrong

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: No one expects the Spanish insemination!!!!