OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got an external HDD with an external power supply

My question is how long it takes to scanning the games

Mine just glitches when is scanning games everytime I connect the USB HDD

I'm doing something wrong or need to wait until it scanna everything. Also I just copy my entire library so I do have replicates games on the HDD and the SD

Thanks

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just got SX a few days ago and while I'm waiting on an external hdd I'm just using a flash drive, formatted to exfat and it works fine. Not sure why yours isn't, but as far as I know you don't have to one with an external supply like the Wii U. It might work better just having a usb external without a power supply (just one usb cord that plugs directly in) but that's only a guess.

Last edited by ,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I ordered an 1 TB drive . Also ordered an external usb 3.0 caddy . Caddy arrived yesterday in pieces , looks like a forklift wheel gave the parcel some ban hammer love.
Few things to try - try the other usb ports as the caddy you are using may not be of the usb standard as per slot you are using .
Try different caddy type , or ultimately test it in your pc rig with sata connectors .

IF using SSD generally single usb slot should power it (On a USB 3.0 caddy) , if you are using magnetic disk then you will need external power source or a caddy that has two usb plugs to pull more power to spin the disk wafers.

I have the 1TB internal hdd working on an old usb 2.0 caddy i had lying around - works ok for now . I dont think Ninty have enabled usb 3.0 protocol on the port though (The internal one on dock with blue colour on female socket).

Last edited by DaveLister,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tried to load 120 GB HDD with some games - 60 GB total XCIs. And it freeze for like 30 seconds after first album load.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mine doesn't freeze but it scans everytime I load SX gallery, I have a 1tb drive and if I select any game before it finishes scanning it does not load properly.
However this only takes about 20 seconds and isn't an issue to me

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Any hidden partitions on the disk that might be fucking with the filetables or read on the switch ?
Possibly rather than just format it run chkdsk against it on windows box to see if thats it ? if you find hidden or rouge partitions remove them all - full format again using exfat and try again ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mine doesn't freeze but it scans everytime I load SX gallery, I have a 1tb drive and if I select any game before it finishes scanning it does not load properly.
However this only takes about 20 seconds and isn't an issue to me
the scanning is normal . We are all bastids and will change the contents almost every time we disconnect the drive so thats understandable .

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any hidden partitions on the disk that might be fucking with the filetables or read on the switch ?
Possibly rather than just format it run chkdsk against it on windows box to see if thats it ? if you find hidden or rouge partitions remove them all - full format again using exfat and try again ?

the scanning is normal . We are all bastids and will change the contents almost every time we disconnect the drive so thats understandable .
Oh yeah, I have no issue with it just listing it so people know what to expect

Reactions: mikefor20

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
last thing, is, possibly your housing is not using a fast usb standard ie if it was dirt cheap it could be usb 2 or even 1 ? usb 3 or 2 caddy is like 9-15 bux. rip and replace if all else is shit.

jajamundo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U just formatted my HDD again and it stills glitching...

Flrmartting as exfat and it just have on game on root
Even move on a folder my games on my SD so my switch doesnt recognize the games.

Dont know what else to do...

Attachments

• 15469073698528415372560920370183.jpg
    15469073698528415372560920370183.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 15469074110471211015774970045066.jpg
    15469074110471211015774970045066.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Either the dock pcb an circuitry is not compatible with your external drive caddy - try replacing the caddy and as stated ensure you have removed hidden partitions from disk. Run diskpart with the drive popped out of its caddy and using naked sata in pc remove all partitions . After that step one will most likely fix ie swap the caddy that houses the external disk . It sounds like a cheap piece of crap.

if using SSD go for this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D9KX8KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS i had the same shit with 1TB magnetic disk and a cheap shitty usb2.0 caddy

check to see if there is any fimrware update for the caddy /disk

ok time to mix some tunes . bbl

jajamundo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either the dock pcb an circuitry is not compatible with your external drive caddy - try replacing the caddy and as stated ensure you have removed hidden partitions from disk. Run diskpart with the drive popped out of its caddy and using naked sata in pc remove all partitions . After that step one will most likely fix ie swap the caddy that houses the external disk . It sounds like a cheap piece of crap.

if using SSD go for this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D9KX8KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS i had the same shit with 1TB magnetic disk and a cheap shitty usb2.0 caddy

check to see if there is any fimrware update for the caddy /disk

ok time to mix some tunes . bbl

Ok! So I'll try with another enclousure and let you know if it works. BTW I got a mechanic HDD not a SSD. Is a 1TB WD and it perfeclty works on boths of my computers

I fixed the scanning loop with deleting a corrupted xci

I format the HDD and just add one XCI (1 2 switch). I know it is not a corrupted CIA because I'll already play with it using my SD Card

AzizR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
This problem happened to my to, and i manged to fix it ... i have 502Gb of games, all in xci format.
it used to take up to 5 -10 min to scan every thing and now it take less than 5 second, here is how to fix it:
1- download "Switch Backup Manager" from here : https://github.com/gibaBR/Switch-Backup-Manager/releases
2- open the app and add all of your xci format games.
3- look at "Source" if it say anything except "Scene" delet/replace that game.

it look like sx os take a lot more time to scan for games that have been converter from nsp to xci.

finally here is my setup:
sx os : 2.5.2
hdd: WD 1TB (My passport)
games: 96 game (502Gb)
game location on hdd: \sxos\xci

Edit: by the way, you can fine a "Scene" Release of every game out there.

Ok! So I'll try with another enclousure and let you know if it works. BTW I got a mechanic HDD not a SSD. Is a 1TB WD and it perfeclty works on boths of my computers

I format the HDD and just add one XCI (1 2 switch). I know it is not a corrupted CIA because I'll already play with it using my SD Card

Some people upload an xci file that have the base game and every update&DLC in the same xci file, these are not good for USB loader (See my other comment)

Last edited by AzizR,

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is convenient but it makes me cringe imagining someone taping a spinning disk hdd to the back of their switch or even being tethered to a desktop external hdd with external power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021