Hacking about a microSD card...

rozzan143

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
on the R4 DS website, when u check R4s functionality it says that it supports upp to 4GB microSD cards. Do they meen that I could use SDHC
or just the card without the SDHC???

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 4GB Non-SDHC cards are very unreliable, like myuu said.

They have a very high chance of not working on the R4. You have a better chance of landing a backflip on your first try than getting it to work.

~Nero

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well, ill just get a cyclo DS, it can handle SDHC cards

The Acekard RPG, SCDS1 (SDHC), M3DS Real, and the upcoming Top Toy DS all support MicroSDHCs.

But out of all those Flashcarts, CycloDS seems to be the best choice. Good luck, and happy gaming.
cool.gif

~Nero

Hypershell

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And I don't think that one of the future updates will fix that problem, cuz I see it as a hardware limitation, not to do with firmware.
I'm not sure whether or not SDHC truly requires new hardware. I've heard that M3 Perfect has an update to support SDHC for media, but as of yet still cannot do so for games (Filesystem troubles, maybe? I know M3 Perfect's patching can get pretty complex, they've had GBA homebrew trouble before.).

For the sake of argument, suppose a firmware update was all that was really needed. The problem with R4 is that its "updates" are for the MicroSD card. The menu actually runs off of the MicroSD card, it's impossible to update the R4 itself. So you can't change what storage device the R4 recognizes.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And I don't think that one of the future updates will fix that problem, cuz I see it as a hardware limitation, not to do with firmware.
I'm not sure whether or not SDHC truly requires new hardware. I've heard that M3 Perfect has an update to support SDHC for media, but as of yet still cannot do so for games (Filesystem troubles, maybe? I know M3 Perfect's patching can get pretty complex, they've had GBA homebrew trouble before.).

Yes, that is true for the M3 Perfect.
It supports SDHC, but only for Media purposes, I believe you can only run Moonshell with an MicroSDHC on a M3Perfect.

The R4 team is releasing a new R4DS with SDHC Support, which I believe, was said in Episode 4 or 5 of the Tempcast. (Last one I listened to was Episode 3) That pretty much kills any possibility of SDHC support for current R4s. The SCDS1's could've added SDHC support to the original carts, but I believe they released the new SDHC version to milk more money out of people. Just my though, ignore me if you want.
biggrin.gif

~Nero

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That's true though. If everyone wants SDHC so badly, why not just put out a newer version of the cart that forces all R4 users who want SDHC to get it. Marketing these days. The logic I don't see is, why why a new but also old R4 that does nothing new except support, when spend a little more money and get a Cyclo or an AceKard. And that's my thought.

Hypershell

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a bad point. If they can get it out cheaper, perhaps it would help offer an incentive. But it is risky, given how many more full-featured products have beaten them to the punch.

As said, the issue with R4 is how it could be updated anyway, presuming a firmware update alone would do the trick. It may well not be possible to rewrite it from within a DS app. Nevertheless, if it's at all conceivable, then given R4's popularity I expect someone out there will attempt to flash it with new firmware at some point in the future.

I don't mind R4 not being feature-filled (actually I have a Simply, but they're the same thing). It loads a custom GBA frame, and it's skinnable, that's about all I care about. Homebrew apps can do the rest; Moonshell alone handles practically all of M3's features (often times better; I was very surprised that they revived the Crystal Engine) besides the PDA, which I don't need. And yeah, 2GB is plenty for me.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The 4GB Non-SDHC cards are very unreliable, like myuu said.

They have a very high chance of not working on the R4. You have a better chance of landing a backflip on your first try than getting it to work.

~Nero

I wish you'd think a bit before giving advice about things you don't own
frown.gif

One reason why they wouldn't work, aside from being a bit slow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...