Hacking A9LH Save Data Transfer Help

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am now running a9lh and luma3ds my sysnand. But previously I was using luma and menuhax on an emunand. I followed the 3ds.guide tutorial to transition (N3DS XL - US, Homebrew Launcher w/ Browser). Everything went smoothly until I reached the "Move Emunand" step. I successfully made a backup of my emunand (with a valid file size), but restoring sysnand from the emunand backup didn't work. When trying to boot with the sd, I got a black screen and the power light sits on. Without an sd, the blue light just turns on briefly then off and no boot.

I went through all of the troubleshoots for this error on the site but none worked. Eventually I gave up and started fresh with clean sysnand. This worked (although it also appears not to boot when there is no sd).

The problem is I would really like to keep the data from my emunand (miiplaza, coins, etc...), but in particular the save data for my eshop games. I still have the emunand backup (that may or may not be corrupted, considering the move failed). However, I am no longer able to run on this emunand and do not have its xorpads.

Additionally, I have official backups of the pertinent save data (using the 3ds' save data backup option). I spent a good amount of time trying to find ways to restore the backups to this sysnand, but it seems the fact that they are encrypted to match the previous emunand prevents that. I tried linking the device to the same nnid and using svdt to restore the official saves, etc... but no luck.

Is there any way to:
A. revert the 3ds.guide process to restore my emunand so i can back up the saves in svdt or an equivalent before re-doing the transition?
B. use these encrypted save backups and restore them to the new sysnand I'm running?
C. decrypt the emunand backup, extract the data, and inject it into the new nand?
D. figure out what went wrong at the "Move Emunand" step and resolve it?

My main issues seem to be that I did not have the foresight to backup my data with svdt or another cia save backup tool and did not know getting the xorpads for the emunand would be useful. I am searching for the most tear-free solution to this problem (i.e. if there is a way to inject the saves that would be preferable to reverting the whole process and re-doing it). But if there any ways to get my save data back with the only contents I currently have available (emunand backup, working a9lh sysnand, official save backups, linked nnid, etc...), please let me know, thanks!

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Not 100% but think ctrtransfer - keeps the system id so the titles/saves will still be valid; if someone could verify.

So setup an emunand then flash your backup over it and see if it boots, if not there should be ways to 'fix' it - but is dependant on whats wrong with the dump

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not 100% but think ctrtransfer - keeps the system id so the titles/saves will still be valid; if someone could verify.

So setup an emunand then flash your backup over it and see if it boots, if not there should be ways to 'fix' it - but is dependant on whats wrong with the dump
Okay, I'll go ahead and try this out.

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using GodMode9, flashing the emunand backup yields an error claiming the backup is corrupt. I also tried an old emunand backup (same nand but older backup) I had from a while back. This one succeeded in flashing but will not boot (stuck with blue light and black screen). Sysnand still boots fine though.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any suggestions on diagnosing what is wrong with the emunand backup(s) or there configuration?

Try booting emunand from an sd card that only has the emunand on it. Maybe the linked homemenu files are screwing with something.

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try booting emunand from an sd card that only has the emunand on it. Maybe the linked homemenu files are screwing with something.
Tried this out. Not sure exactly which luma/a9lh files are needed just to boot so i kept most of the stuff in the root dir of the sd but removed 'Nintendo 3ds', '3ds' and all other directories except 'luma'. This is on a second sd card. Injected the old backup successfully, but again i get a black screen and blue light with no boot when trying to boot emunand.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this out. Not sure exactly which luma/a9lh files are needed just to boot so i kept most of the stuff in the root dir of the sd but removed 'Nintendo 3ds', '3ds' and all other directories except 'luma'. This is on a second sd card. Injected the old backup successfully, but again i get a black screen and blue light with no boot when trying to boot emunand.

I know it doesn't really make sense, but while we're at it. Maybe try restoring the emunand to sysnand with hourglass9 (so you can use the keep a9lh option). Just backup your current sysnand first. If emunand still doesn't boot, you can just restore your current nand again.

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it doesn't really make sense, but while we're at it. Maybe try restoring the emunand to sysnand with hourglass9 (so you can use the keep a9lh option). Just backup your current sysnand first. If emunand still doesn't boot, you can just restore your current nand again.
No luck. Restoring the emunand to sysnand succeeded but same result when trying to boot sysnand (black screen).

Reactions: x65943

Hellomello13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed it. I was able to use GodMode9 to transfer the moveable.sed file from my emunand partition to the sysnand. Afterwords sysnand booted and I was able to restore with my save backups. Even though the emunand wouldn't boot, it was enough to have it injected so I could extract the needed data without having to decrypt it myself. Thank you all for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ak Aack AAAACK!!!