A9lh Question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Alkéryn, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    So i will buy a n3ds on Monday and proceed directly to the instalation off a9lh using this tutorial
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started

So my question is on section IV of this page :
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)

Can i just instead of copying Rednand to sysnand copy the original backup of my nand (just after first boot) there since i won't care about data because it will be a brand new system
    thank for your help ^^

Btw then do i have to do backups of the Reinand if i don't plan to copy this to the nand in the future?

nxwing likes this.

2. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    As a member of the answer your own question comunitee I think it should be fine as long as I use hourglass9 and not decrypt9 (wich would overwrite a9lh in FIRM 0&1)
    it should be fine since Hourglass9 protect nand FIRM 0 & 1 and migth redirect it to the firm files on the SD card ^^

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank for your help, you are really helpful dude :D

No problems ^^ as a member of the answer your own question comunitee i also do my research myself instead of just waiting for someone to answer ^^

Thank you a lot, verry clever of you indeed ^^

Last edited by Alkéryn, Jul 9, 2016
    3xkrazy likes this.
  3. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Wtf did I just see?

Alkéryn likes this.
  4. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well i answered my own question before someone else did ^^

5. ishygdaft

ishygdaft A mystery wrapped in an enigma

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    I think you've gone completely mad...

Alkéryn likes this.
  6. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Yeh xD

but at least thoses who are asking themselves the same question have the answer now xD

Yo know it is the "EOF" that made me like this xD

ishygdaft likes this.
  7. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    What? I don't even...... WHAT?!
    Anyways, OP, please ignore OP. As I still think OP failed to answer OP's question.

Basically Section IV has you flashback emunand_orginal.bin because it should be the initial updated sysnand.bin, as well with having FBI injected into it.

So an overview of how and where this NAND was created is as followed.

sysNAND.bin from Part 2 is the clean 9.2 SysNAND backup of your system, this should be a fresh clean non-A9LH 9.2 Backup, with no FBI injected or anything, just clean.

Part 3 has you created a RedNAND, which is a direct clone of your SysNAND as it is. However, in Part 3, we are also told to use TinyFormat on SysNAND, as a way to unlink them, and have them separate from each other.

Part 4, Section I, has us update RedNAND to the latest version.

Part 4, Section II, has us backup these two NANDs to sysNAND_original.bin (which is completely different than sysnand.bin, but is also should be a clean 9.2 SysNAND backup of your SysNAND after having TinyFormat run on it) - While emuNAND_original.bin is a continuation of your original sysnand.bin from Part 2, but with it being updated and having FBI injected into it.

emuNAND_formatted.bin is made so that if the RedNAND 2.1 downgrade fails, we can restart that process and try and try again.

Would I advise you skip making RedNAND backups? No, not really. Especially not the emuNAND_formatted.bin one, as if your 2.1 downgrade fails, you'll have to pretty much start over from scratch. Cloning to RedNAND and unlinking the NANDs and preparing the RedNAND for the 2.1 downgrade.

All in all, I can only justify skipping the NAND backup on Part 2.

Anyways, here's a bit of how each NAND backup should be and it's line of backups.

sysNAND.bin (part2, clean 9.2 backup) -> emunand_orginal.bin (updated sysnand.bin with FBI injected) -> sysNAND-A9LHAX.bin (final backup with A9LH installed)

SysNAND_original.bin (Part 4, clean 9.2 backup, unlinked from the above and bellow NANDs)

emuNAND_formatted.bin (Part 4, updated RedNAND, unlinked from the above two, and prepared and used for the 2.1 downgrade.)

Last edited by Temptress Cerise, Jul 9, 2016
    nxwing and Alkéryn like this.
  8. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Yeah the thing is since it will be new I will have a >9.2 system at first and after the downgrade it won't be a "clean nand" anymore plus i don't want a FBI injected system health and shit
    I want that after the whole process, i have a9lh and my nand as if it was first boot but with a9lh so what i wanted is once a9lh is instaled insted of using the reinand backup with Hourglass I use a nand backup that i make just after first boot with Hourglass to have a "cleaner" system

9. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    And how exactly do you plan on making this backup without having A9LH? You need to either downgrade to 9.2 first to make your first NAND backup, or get a hardmod and dump the NAND via hardmod.

Also, how do you plan on installing CIAs? You need to inject FBI first. I've done that where, I've injected FBI and then removed it and restored the original one, once I was able to install FBI via the injected FBI. Using a Gateway3DS and FBI .3ds is the only other solution to not injecting FBI and having a "cleaner" NAND.

Anyways, do what you want, just don't blame the guide for any mistakes or problems you have for not following it as written.

Good luck OP. ^_^

Alkéryn likes this.
  10. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well if we can downgrade it is very likely that we have the acess to do a backup with some homebrew since reading nand require almost the same permission as reading it
    and once a9lh installed i could use this entrypoint as a way to launch the fbi homebrew to install fbi.cia
    and there is a FBI.3dsx

Well nevermind i think i will just stick to the tutorial and then after restore the original Health and safety after installing FBI then do my final backup
    Fuck "cleanness"

Though if sysupdater work I could use FBI.3dsx to install FBI.cia on the "First launch" backup

11. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    You really ought to just follow the guide to a T and do any clean up after. It is much better to be safe then sorry.

PBallWiz likes this.
  12. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Yeah but i folow the tutorial until section IV of part 5 which is copying reinand to nand
    that mean i could use my firtst "clean" backup instead of reinand and then instal FBI by myself

13. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    rednand recovery is more geared at people who have installed stuff to an emunand, I think you'll be fine just restoring ether one if it's a proper back up.

Alkéryn likes this.
  14. PBallWiz

PBallWiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    Why not just follow the instructions?

15. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I'm someone who like to have systems or at least backups of systems as "clean" as possible meaning the first thing i will do once i turned on my 3ds for the first time is a backup(3 time to be sure one isn't corupted(it hapênned once with my previous 3ds, i made 3 backup and then saw than the first was corupted because of the two others)

16. PBallWiz

PBallWiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    Sounds a little OCD to me. That's cool.
    Get over it and follow the instructions :teach:

Alkéryn likes this.
  17. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well yeah I had OCD's before and i have some "remains" ^^
    but the backup thing is just that i like making backup to be able to go back wherever i want ^^
    In worst case scenario if i don't achieve to install cias with the "retail" backup after a9lh is installed then i can still install the reinand image to nand ^^

Question at the time of the backup in part 4 section II
    isn't Reinand.bin in the root of the sd and Emunand_original.bin the same?
    so why bother making a backup if i could just copy it to the pc

18. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    sysnand and red/emunand are what you need to look out for, reinand is a CFW like Luma3ds and has no barring on system back ups.

19. Alkéryn
    OP

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well then isn't Emunand.bin and the backup of it the same thing? at the moment of the backup?

20. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Should be, you can also give the back up different names in emunand9/decrypt9