Hacking A9LH does not want to start after upgrading to 11.3

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
11.3 this patch for vitar downgrades and regarding the injection of Backup with Harmod I have my doubts. That's why the Dsiware method is not working.

All reason.

DSiWare and hardmod both can still be used to restore NAND backups. The "fix" to these, having 11.3 require the current NFIRM to boot, is nullified by restoring a NAND from 11.2 or below. Nintendo can't stop you from restoring an older system version directly to NAND, you just have to have a backup from that system to do it.

I highly doubt they fixed the DSiWare exploit itself, it is just not useful without an existing NAND backup. If you have a NAND backup with 11.2 or below and a second, already exploited (or 11.2 or below so it can be exploited) 3DS that is capable of transferring to your console, you can use the old DSiWare transfer method to restore a NAND backup (as opposed to downgrading the NFIRM as it was previously used to downgrade).

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
DSiWare and hardmod both can still be used to restore NAND backups. The "fix" to these, having 11.3 require the current NFIRM to boot, is nullified by restoring a NAND from 11.2 or below. Nintendo can't stop you from restoring an older system version directly to NAND, you just have to have a backup from that system to do it.

I highly doubt they fixed the DSiWare exploit itself, it is just not useful without an existing NAND backup. If you have a NAND backup with 11.2 or below and a second, already exploited (or 11.2 or below so it can be exploited) 3DS that is capable of transferring to your console, you can use the old DSiWare transfer method to restore a NAND backup (as opposed to downgrading the NFIRM as it was previously used to downgrade).

Could you try, is there no risk of a permanent brick?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love seeing all these people who assume they know what they are talking about. :facepalm:
I've seen these points made already but I'll compile them all into one post:
  • Hardmod DOWNGRADE is broken. Restoring a previous backup via downgrade is still possible though.
  • OP accidentally removed A9LH by updating from Gateway mode in sysNAND. Gateway seems to be the only A9LH-compatible CFW that does not provide FIRM protection, meaning an update will overwrite those partitions, essentially overwriting where A9LH is stored.
  • If using Gateway, you should instead keep using it on emuNAND to avoid this problem. All other (popular) A9LH CFW should be safe to update as they actually have FIRM write protection. (Personally tested on N3DS using Luma from 11.2 to 11.3)
So OP can either hardmod and restore a backup, or wait and hope exploits are updated/created to allow him a software NAND restore.

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I love seeing all these people who assume they know what they are talking about. :facepalm:
I've seen these points made already but I'll compile them all into one post:
  • Hardmod DOWNGRADE is broken. Restoring a previous backup via downgrade is still possible though.
  • OP accidentally removed A9LH by updating from Gateway mode in sysNAND. Gateway seems to be the only A9LH-compatible CFW that does not provide FIRM protection, meaning an update will overwrite those partitions, essentially overwriting where A9LH is stored.
  • If using Gateway, you should instead keep using it on emuNAND to avoid this problem. All other (popular) A9LH CFW should be safe to update as they actually have FIRM write protection. (Personally tested on N3DS using Luma from 11.2 to 11.3)
So OP can either hardmod and restore a backup, or wait and hope exploits are updated/created to allow him a software NAND restore.

I do not update in Gateway mode, but it is safe to start in FastBoot overwriting part of the start with a9lh. I will expect some updates from Soundhax that will allow me to use Hourglass to restore my backup, thanks for everything: D (Please advise for here XD)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not update in Gateway mode, but it is safe to start in FastBoot overwriting part of the start with a9lh. I will expect some updates from Soundhax that will allow me to use Hourglass to restore my backup, thanks for everything: D (Please advise for here XD)
If you were using Gateway as your CFW (which maybe I'm understanding wrong but that seems to be what you were using at the time) then no matter what "mode" Your gateway was in, it doesn't have FIRM write protection for sysNAND. Though I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you were doing at the time of updating.

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If you were using Gateway as your CFW (which maybe I'm understanding wrong but that seems to be what you were using at the time) then no matter what "mode" Your gateway was in, it doesn't have FIRM write protection for sysNAND. Though I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you were doing at the time of updating.

I update in Sysnand mode with a9lh (I had no problems with any application), the hours later I started Gateway in Sysnand and this removed the a9lh

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never mentioned a downgrade. The OP mentioned he had an 11.2 backup on the first page. He can flash it with a hardmod.
I don't think they were saying you were wrong, but rather backing it and making it clear for the previous posts that were getting confused saying OP couldn't restore a backup with the latest update.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never mentioned a downgrade. The OP mentioned he had an 11.2 backup on the first page. He can flash it with a hardmod.

I don't think they were saying you were wrong, but rather backing it and making it clear for the previous posts that were getting confused saying OP couldn't restore a backup with the latest update.

Bingo! Got it in 1.

We don't want the OP to do anything to make his situation worse, so I was clarifying for both him and anyone else skimming the thread - so they too don't make the situation worse etc. The OP can definitely restore his nand backup via Hardmod, but if he wishes to downgrade via the same method (for whatever reason) - no dice.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,
Reactions: RetroNauta

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Idk about that. I clearly said that I restored an 11.2 backup myself and that it worked.
Not sure how you can make it any clearer. I made no mention of a downgrade.

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP definitely accidentally updated from gateway I've tried launching gateway payload on 11.3 and I still have A9LH on my system

YOU ACCIDENTALLY UPDATED FROM GATEWAY!!

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
OP definitely accidentally updated from gateway I've tried launching gateway payload on 11.3 and I still have A9LH on my system

YOU ACCIDENTALLY UPDATED FROM GATEWAY!!

I really do not know the situation of others in the same circumstances, but I DO NOT UPDATE TO 11.3 FROM THE GATEWAY MODE! In that case my 3ds would have brick .

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do not know the situation of others in the same circumstances, but I DO NOT UPDATE TO 11.3 FROM THE GATEWAY MODE! In that case my 3ds would have brick .
My understanding of when you update your synand from Gateway you don't brick you lose a9lh functionality

And that's why I'm saying you accidentally did it you had no idea that you did it I know that nobody in their right mind would intentionally mess up their setup

I've already launched myGateway payloads like five separate times today and I get to Black screens and the blue light then I have to press my power button for like 5 seconds until it Powers off and everything is still working fine for me when I turn on my console again

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
My understanding of when you update your synand from Gateway you don't brick you lose a9lh functionality

And that's why I'm saying you accidentally did it you had no idea that you did it I know that nobody in their right mind would intentionally mess up their setup

I've already launched myGateway payloads like five separate times today and I get to Black screens and the blue light then I have to press my power button for like 5 seconds until it Powers off and everything is still working fine for me when I turn on my console again

My Gateway card was not even inserted in the console, I have never used the flashcard in this console.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It depends. Updating an A9LH console without FIRM protection on an O3DS/2DS removes A9LH and results in a working system without A9LH. However, doing the same thing on a N3DS results in a bricked console.

Maybe the OP didn't initiate the update from Gateway's CFW, but I am fairly sure that Gateway was still the cause. OP, I assume you don't have a hardmod, but do you have another 3DS that is capable of system transferring to your current 3DS?

Last edited by Cuphat,

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Finally know what happend to my 3dsxl , I used gateway to boot to system nand, because I wanted to use the search, ramviewer and ramdumper options
used the thread here everything worked fine for months so I updated the system, rebooted and everything was working fine.
booted to gateway mode sysnand L+R select and nothing was there, removed the sd and follow a thread about some problems with old a9hl, but nothing.
The result a9hl erased all my things unusable, they are still there, also have nandbackups of Sys 4.2.0-9U, Sys 11.2.0-35U
the OTP and files 9.
So don't use the thread in the spoiler for the time being. And I don't know anyone doing hardmods in Mexico so I'm screwed!

Reactions: RetroNauta

RetroNauta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Finally know what happend to my 3dsxl , I used gateway to boot to system nand, because I wanted to use the search, ramviewer and ramdumper options
used the thread here everything worked fine for months so I updated the system, rebooted and everything was working fine.
booted to gateway mode sysnand L+R select and nothing was there, removed the sd and follow a thread about some problems with old a9hl, but nothing.
The result a9hl erased all my things unusable, they are still there, also have nandbackups of Sys 4.2.0-9U, Sys 11.2.0-35U
the OTP and files 9.

It's the same thing that happened to me "Órale Mano "

So don't use the thread in the spoiler for the time being. And I don't know anyone doing hardmods in Mexico so I'm screwed!

It's the same thing that happened to me "Órale Mano "

Reactions: Patuli

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You booted into sysNAND from Gateway. IIRC you can boot sysNAND without Gateway mode and without Gateway card in. And like I said before, Gateway does not provide FIRM write protection, so even if you were in "vanilla" sysNAND, if you were not using any other CFW like Luma, you were updating without FIRM protection and overwrote your A9LH.

Reactions: BADDINOROX99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==