A9LH does not want to start after upgrading to 11.3

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RetroNauta, Feb 7, 2017.

1. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Beforehand, sorry for my bad English, I have not done it grammatically for years:

Today, I updated my Old 3ds to 11.3 with armloaderhax, after seeing in the user comments that I could do it without problems. Then, probe my Gateway in sysnand mode and this uninstalled the a9lh, leaving it virtually virgin, including eliminating the injected FBI and the same Health and Safety application. I can not start the console with select or start and the games were unusable, inclusively they were eliminated one by one after each reboot. The only vestige of the a9lh is that when I press select the console is much longer to start and even, first the menu is heard and then the image appears several seconds later. Try updating with "right_.bin", but the screen goes black for several seconds, the menu audio is heard and then the image is displayed (as detailed above). It should be noted that I had the latest version of luma with sdless.

Does anyone comes up with something?

Video :

2. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Someone made a thread of the exact same thing before, I thing a PSA thread should be created reporting this :S

Deadme0w likes this.
  3. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Really? I was surprised by the unexpected of the situation, for the rest, I like your Mario Kart 7 mods;)

4. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    Seems like you are trying to run a9lh gateway emunand - which doesn't work on 11.3 - so you are left with your sysnand - that you mightn't have seem in a while.

Or, and probably more likely you updated in gateway mode [w/o emunand] and removed a9lh as the nfirms weren't protected. Had you been on a n3ds you would have bricked

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I do not upgrade in Gateway mode .On this occasion start Gateway in sysnand mode (I have no emunand), as it has been doing for a long time. The console works fine, except that I can not run the Freeshop, nor any game previously installed, the worst thing is that it is with region EUR XD.

Last edited by RetroNauta, Feb 7, 2017
  6. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    You should have started luma3ds in sysnand.

You have indeed removed a9lh as you system updated without nfirm protection.

There isn't a downgrade path from 11.3 that I'm aware of at the minute

7. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire

I have the impression that A9LH is "half-installed", the 3ds to boot tries to start with select but passes the video I uploaded. The only way to downgrade is with Autofirm, but I was wondering if anyone knew if this particular case was solvable.

8. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    You can restore 11.2 if you have a nand backup of 11.2. If a9lh is overwritten you have to use a hardmod.

HyperT likes this.
  9. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Hardmod is patched on 11.3

10. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    If he's on 11.3 he's sol as hardmod dg is patched.

I highlighted the keyword, from what I can tell, Gateway is done for, and many users reporting the brick is from just even starting Gateway on 11.3.

I run Luma and my own fw, no issues, been using my 3ds all day, even downgraded "nand backups ftw" and reupdated without any issues.

I've never touched gateway as it serves no purpose to me. Def not gonna try to test this theory, but yes all reported bricks have one thing in common: Gateway

Last edited by Shikkichu, Feb 8, 2017
    emuashui and RetroNauta like this.
  11. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    The only thing patched is downgrading NFIRM. Restoring a working NAND back up on older firmware is still doable.

12. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    And this is why I ignored all of the naysayers who said to get rid of Emunand and use Sysnand with A9LH. While 99% of the time its not a big deal, but knowing I am upgrading a partition I have full control over and not sysnand makes me sleep a lot better at night.

13. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I have a backup at 11.2, but I can not restore it since it will not let me enter the payloads selection. On the harmod, I had read that with 11.3 it was not possible and that it should be directly autofirm (which I like I would not like)

I tried the Gateway thinking that it would not work directly or that in the worst case would have a hard brick, but what I got was a virgin console XD. I thought that having the console with a "semi-a9lh", could hold a hope, but apparently I will have to try with Autofirm or wait for a Downgrade for Software :(

14. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    Any decent A9LH CFW protects A9LH. The only instances I've seen where A9LH magically is removed involve Gateway use on SysNAND.

Quantumcat and TheCyberQuake like this.
  15. Shikkichu

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    Not really on topic or to pry, but why did using gateway cross your mind if you have a9lh+luma? Doesn't that essentially make gateway a useless artifact for you?

16. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I like to modify some roms, something that I do not take risks with installed on the console.

Shikkichu likes this.
  17. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    You can still restore NAND backups just fine with a hardmod, that will never change. You can probably still do the DSiWare app+save injection and transfer to restore a NAND backup as well (though I am not sure if this has been tested). You just have to have a working NAND backup for that console from a hackable firmware.

Assuming you restore a NAND backup with hardmod or DSiWare, I'd recommend only using Gateway in EmuNAND. As you can see, Gateway on A9LH SysNAND is dangerous as it fails to offer basic protection of A9LH.

Last edited by squall14716, Feb 8, 2017
    DrkBeam likes this.
  18. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    11.3 this patch for vitar downgrades and regarding the injection of Backup with Harmod I have my doubts. That's why the Dsiware method is not working.

All reason.

19. Shikkichu

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    If you can get Hourglass9 to boot, just do a nand restore (Assuming you have nand backups from 11.2 etc)

RetroNauta likes this.
  20. RetroNauta
    OP

RetroNauta Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I can not start any payload, maybe I have to wait for some access to the homebrew launcher.