Hacking A9HL to B9S: Lost All Data

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty sad :(
However, this guide told me to do some backup with the .bin file. If i was to restore this NAND, would it be the "Original NAND" (it already went through step 1, 2 and 3 from this tutorial at this point)

Well i don't really know if copying the SD card content in a file counts as a "real" backup, but if we can find the encryption key with this then yeah, let's do it.
And i also have this binary file i was talking about to KunoichiZ, it was just before formatting but i'm not sure it's in an okay state to backup/reinstall/copy (The encryption key may still be the same at this point AFAIK)
I don't think that that would be the NAND you would want to resotre to because it sounds to me like that's the NAND you are on right now. Restoring it would do nothing. I could be entirely wrong though so take what I just typed with a grain of salt.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, this guide told me to do some backup with the .bin file. If i was to restore this NAND, would it be the "Original NAND" (it already went through step 1, 2 and 3 from this tutorial at this point)

Well i don't really know if copying the SD card content in a file counts as a "real" backup, but if we can find the encryption key with this then yeah, let's do it.
And i also have this binary file i was talking about to KunoichiZ, it was just before formatting but i'm not sure it's in an okay state to backup/reinstall/copy (The encryption key may still be the same at this point AFAIK)
What’s the files name? We can use GodMode9 to mount it and look at it before we do anything with it.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you made a backup of your EmuNAND EVER, it will work, at least for recovering your saves. What you need to do to be sure it's the right one is mount it in GodMode9 and check the "7:/data" folder to see which ID your image matches. If it matches the one from your EmuNAND, go ahead and use Godmode9 to restore it. Depending on how old the backup is, you may have to reinstall some games (actually, if you use CIAngel or Freeshop, they should be able to do it fairly quickly since all they need to do is reinstall the ticket). Regardless, the saves should be intact. So you should be able to back them up with JKSM at that point.

I only suggested doing the restore with Decrypt9 so that you rule out the upgrade process for yourself when returning to A9LH didn't bring the games back. I was almost certain it would fail, but you seemed so adamant that it was the upgrade process, I thought it best for you to see for yourself. But now we know that it's most likely you deleted your EmuNAND without copying it over first.

I'll be sure to include scripts to move EmuNAND to SysNAND (and vice versa) in my next release. This whole thread just goes to show why this is not a process for humans to be performing manually.

But then you're relying on another *hax, which defeats the purpose of all of this. B9S is better than A9LH ever was.

The A9LH installation process posed a high brick rate, while installing B9S is safer than doing a normal System Update.

The actual installation process (run Safe A9LH Installer and hit select) for A9LH poses about the same brick risk as B9S. The actual brick risk was with the earliest methods of getting "otp.bin" dumped. As of mid-April last year, OTPHelper had sufficient security checks in place to make installing a bricked 2.1 downgrade practically impossible. Which is about when I did my installs, and on 7 different units mind you. Not a single one of them bricked. So much for your high brick risk claim. The need to do a manual downgrade ended late last year when the guide switched to the CTRNAND transfer method, which both greatly simplified things, and all but eliminated the brick risk. It may not have been quite as easy as B9S, but had you been around for it, you would not be whining about how difficult A9LH was to install. Now, NTRBootHax provides an environment that can dump "otp.bin" directly, so, no more need for 2.1 at all. But the brick risk has been all but nonexistent for over a year now.

I could make the same argument about B9S. It's not an entry point either. It's not like B9S installs itself. It requires either an existing *hax entry point, MSET, or NTRBootHax in order to install it, just like A9LH. Your beef is not even with A9LH, but with the only known entry point that worked for dumping "otp.bin" when it was first introduced -- 2xrsa. B9S may not need an OTP dump, but it otherwise relies on the same entry points. NTRBootHax now works as an equally convenient entry point for installing either, since you can dump OTP directly, so you have no case if your sole biases are brick risk and ease of install.

It's not like I would recommend A9LH for most people. Still, if someone shows up cash in hand, am I going to argue with them, or give them what they want? I can even install both, and include scripts that let you switch back and forth at the drop of hat. Just in case you find a payload that you want to run that B9S won't (though firmtool and BootCTR9 get 90% of the old payloads working). But only for advanced users.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the other user said that installing A9LH is just as easy as installing B9S, which is completely untrue. I'm sure you can agree with that.
right, I thought we are talking about installing A9LH from a 3DS that has bootstrap alrwady installed, that is easy!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dpad_5678

Larenthios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What’s the files name?
030627_QEH10404386_sysnand_000.bin, but i dumped emunand in it first IIRC (there's the guide i followed here) (but at this moment i already lost the data ad as seen later the ID does not match so it would be useless)

GodMode9 and check the "7:/data" folder to see which ID your image matches.
It matches the bad id, sadly :(
However, i still have the SD card dump, as stated earlier, but i can't do something with this alone, can i ?

Last edited by Larenthios,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
030627_QEH10404386_sysnand_000.bin, but i dumped emunand in it first IIRC (there's the guide i followed here) (but at this moment i already lost the data ad as seen later the ID does not match so it would be useless)

It matches the bad id, sadly :(
However, i still have the SD card dump, as stated earlier, but i can't do something with this alone, can i ?
Not without the movable.sed from the nand the sd card files came from... If you had that, you could perform a manual system transfer to read/dump data from that card. (after making a backup of where you're at now to begin with, if you're smart)

EDIT: err... by "dump" are you talking about a .bin file made with godmode9 or something? I think I jumped back in here at the wrong time... :unsure:

Last edited by urherenow,

Larenthios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not without the movable.sed from the nand the sd card files came from...
That was in another partition that the first one, was it ?

And i guess all hope is lost and i can remove the heavy file with the ID not matching, since i can't restore anything.

(Little EDIT: if anyone happened to possess some Bravely Second file around chapter 5, could you export it with JKFS and share it with me ? It's a little out-topic but i don't really know where to ask for it and it was my biggest lost in all this mess.)

Last edited by Larenthios,

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well i certainly had one at some point, but since i did not hack my system in person in the first place i don't really know.

Ah, so you didn't hack your 3DS on your own. Ask the person who made it if he can find a "emuNAND dump" of your console. If needed, indicate your console serial (in your case, it's QEH10404386)

Larenthios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah, so you didn't hack your 3DS on your own. Ask the person who made it if he can find a "emuNAND dump" of your console. If needed, indicate your console serial (in your case, it's QEH10404386)
Oh, maybe he have one of those, i'll ask him

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, maybe he have one of those, i'll ask him

Definitely do that (if it was me, I'd have it for you). Well, now you know. You should always backup a NAND/EmuNAND before you delete it, overwrite it, or format it.

I've never been fond of that part of the guide. It's rash to ditch EmuNAND (considering how cheap 64 GB cards are now, it's not like it eats that much space). You never know when you might need to run a second firmware version while you wait for something to catch up, after all (your NTR launcher of choice, an alternate CFW you like using, etc.). It's best to just leave everything where it is until after you've got the exploit completely setup. You can swap your NANDs around any time you want to, so take your time to make sure there's nothing important on them first.

Larenthios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should always backup a NAND/EmuNAND
Well at least now i'll do it for sure xD
At least using JKSM on my games before doing anything with my system.
But i tend to be airheaded and i often forget to do it, i wonder if i can make a script to automatically backup everything and upload it somewhere.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Definitely do that (if it was me, I'd have it for you). Well, now you know. You should always backup a NAND/EmuNAND before you delete it, overwrite it, or format it.

I've never been fond of that part of the guide. It's rash to ditch EmuNAND (considering how cheap 64 GB cards are now, it's not like it eats that much space). You never know when you might need to run a second firmware version while you wait for something to catch up, after all (your NTR launcher of choice, an alternate CFW you like using, etc.). It's best to just leave everything where it is until after you've got the exploit completely setup. You can swap your NANDs around any time you want to, so take your time to make sure there's nothing important on them first.
You can just make a NAND backup and leave it on your SD card for the same effect, without the headaches caused by emuNAND like having to install GBA and DSi games on both NANDs.

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well at least now i'll do it for sure xD
At least using JKSM on my games before doing anything with my system.
But i tend to be airheaded and i often forget to do it, i wonder if i can make a script to automatically backup everything and upload it somewhere.

xD, imagine the code of it.

if new_game
then scan_games
if found
then backup_save_init
bool 0x4541C (random sh** lawlz)
launch upload
upload_content_to mega.nz

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just make a NAND backup and leave it on your SD card for the same effect, without the headaches caused by emuNAND like having to install GBA and DSi games on both NANDs.

What headaches? Who does that? I only install DSiWare to SysNAND. As for GBA, I have a DSTwo. Besides, if I do that, then I can't use the latest one AND the last one that worked with the app I need simultaneously. I can already guess your next argument so I'll save you the trouble -- yes , linked NANDs re-wrap your packages if you don't sync tickets. I've had scripts that do this since before I released the first version of my AIO. For me it's worth it to have 11.5 but still be able to use GW's cheat engine on the all but 2 games it can't run. Actually, I think it's just the Echoes DLC with the partial update trick.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
What headaches? Who does that? I only install DSiWare to SysNAND.
So you have to go into sysNAND each time you want to play DSiWare? That sounds annoying, I can just play them from the home menu.
As for GBA, I have a DSTwo.
So you either leave your DSTwo inserted all the time and have your battery drain really fast, or have to take it in and out when you want to play a GBA game? That sounds annoying, I can just play them from the home menu.
Besides, if I do that, then I can't use the latest one AND the last one that worked with the app I need simultaneously.
I don't know what this means.
I can already guess your next argument so I'll save you the trouble -- yes , linked NANDs re-wrap your packages if you don't sync tickets. I've had scripts that do this since before I released the first version of my AIO. For me it's worth it to have 11.5 but still be able to use GW's cheat engine on the all but 2 games it can't run.
That sounds annoying - I don't need scripts. If you have Gateway it is different - if you don't mind going through all that trouble just for the cheat menu. But that is the only upside. It would be ridiculous to have an emuNAND if you weren't using Gateway's cheats. I have a Gateway and was using it to cheat on Badge Arcade when it came out, but stopped using it when Gateway didn't update for the latest firmware for too long.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have to go into sysNAND each time you want to play DSiWare? That sounds annoying, I can just play them from the home menu.

So you either leave your DSTwo inserted all the time and have your battery drain really fast, or have to take it in and out when you want to play a GBA game? That sounds annoying, I can just play them from the home menu.

I don't know what this means.

That sounds annoying - I don't need scripts. If you have Gateway it is different - if you don't mind going through all that trouble just for the cheat menu. But that is the only upside. It would be ridiculous to have an emuNAND if you weren't using Gateway's cheats. I have a Gateway and was using it to cheat on Badge Arcade when it came out, but stopped using it when Gateway didn't update for the latest firmware for too long.

Considering I boot into SysNAND by default most of the time, why is having to do so a big deal? Besides, it's not like there's that many great DSiWare titles.

Actually, I tend to prefer my GBA expansion pack on my DS Lite until I can get an ED GBA sometime. I'm not usually one to take the emu side on anything, but those injects just look awful.

My point was, if the NAND's just backed up on your card, you can't run it when you need it for something. You have to install it over your current one, and then your SysNAND is no longer on the latest version, could be missing titles if it's using a different ID, etc.

And there's one other really good reason to use GW. I have hundreds of ROMs, and I'm not going to waste my time converting most of them (just the ones with online features I might actually use), because there's no point. They play the same regardless. Besides, I don't have space for two copies of everything, and if I just keep the CIAs then they'll never work with my Sky+ again. And it's not annoying at all. You just have to sync after installing new titles and before you use the the other NAND. It's not like I install CIAs every day. Maybe once or twice a week. So, once a week, restart, tap left, tap home, select scripts, pick the "Synchronize Tickets" one, and done. Takes all of 5 seconds. It's nothing, especially compared to the alternative -- having to install the same games twice, and having them take twice as much space.

That's not even my only EmuNAND. I've got a second one on 9.2. Simply because it's the most exploitable system version ever. I've even got a Cubic Ninja CIA on there for running Ninjhax 1.1 still. I'm fully prepared for the fact there are some things Rosalina will just never run. Sure, there are CIAs for ctrHexenII and eDuke3D, but not Spectre3DS or 3DSCraft (not that I even play 3DSCraft, but Spectre's a Quake port by elhobbs in full stereoscopic 3D, and with music support).

And no one technically needs scripts. But they are handy. You can manage your activity log (thoroughly). That whole incognito thing where you backup your PTM and restore it later? Automated. And I've got a couple more that can wipe AL by itself or AL+PTM. We all know it has nothing to do with the bans, but I put it together anyway for those who obsess about such things. You can also sync the latest Luma update to CTRNAND. You can switch your chainloader's default payload, your current chainloader, even switch exploits (granted, there are already some scripts out there that let you switch between A9LH and B9S, but mine also swaps out the payloads and configuration files for you so you can still get into GM9, Decrypt9, etc.).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My point was, if the NAND's just backed up on your card, you can't run it when you need it for something. You have to install it over your current one, and then you're current SysNAND is no longer on the latest version, could be missing titles if it's using a different ID, etc.
Except if you don't need an emuNAND, then that isn't really relevant. You don't need to be restoring your backup ever, because everything you need is on your sysNAND. You said emuNAND was a good idea because it meant you could keep a backup handy, which can be achieved by just keeping a NAND backup on your SD card. And by the way, emuNAND isn't really that useful as a backup because if your SD card corrupts it will be gone. Keeping it in cloud storage is better, the emuNAND isn't really achieving anything in that respect.

You've convinced yourself it is a good idea, and logical points won't make any impact, so I'll just leave you be now :-)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except if you don't need an emuNAND, then that isn't really relevant. You don't need to be restoring your backup ever, because everything you need is on your sysNAND. You said emuNAND was a good idea because it meant you could keep a backup handy, which can be achieved by just keeping a NAND backup on your SD card. And by the way, emuNAND isn't really that useful as a backup because if your SD card corrupts it will be gone. Keeping it in cloud storage is better, the emuNAND isn't really achieving anything in that respect.

You've convinced yourself it is a good idea, and logical points won't make any impact, so I'll just leave you be now :-)

Perhaps backup is the wrong term. Maybe "working copy" works better for you. My SysNAND is on 11.5. It's not running Gateway. And on an O3DS, it's not running Spectre3DS either, because *hax only works above 11.3 on the N3DS, so only that doesn't need a 9.2 for homebrew, but it's still getting one. 3.3 GB on a 64 GB card is a small price to pay for those two EmuNANDs that allow you to TRULY have everything. And if that seems inconvenient, it's not. Hold B, get GW. Hold Y, get a 9.2 with MenuHax launching straight into the HB Menu (actually, it goes into regular BootCTR, modified so it won't conflict with BootCTR9, so I can have all 3 HB menus).

I never meant "backup" as in, in case the NAND gets bricked. I meant "backup" as in, in case NTR Selector doesn't work with 11.6 on day one. The idea being that you have an older firmware ready to run if Nintendo releases a new firmware that breaks a bunch of stuff, but you still want to use it to play the latest games, while also still being able to run the broken homebrew apps in question. You can't run anything from a .bin image.

EDIT: I just scrolled up to double check. I NEVER used the word "backup" AT ALL! I suggested that being able to RUN more than one firmware gives you added flexibility. There was NOTHING there that should have caused you or anyone else to believe that I was referring to a non-running backup at all. It's like me talking about a virtual machine, and you saying that I could get the same result with a Ghost image of the OS.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?