Homebrew A7800DS2 emulator (DSTWO entry)

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
Ok, yesterday, you wanted it, so here it is !
The difference between DS (not DSi) version, well this one is full speed but sound is not really nice (thanks to Dstwo sdk) ...°...
It's based on ProSystem emulator and of course, the source code is released because it's not my source code

To use this emulator, you must use compatibles rom with a78/bin format.
Do not ask me about such files, I don't have them. A search with Google will certainly help you.

Controls :
* Direction pad : the joystick ...
* A : Fire button 1
* B : Fire button 2
* SELECT : SELECT Button
* START : START Button
* R : RESET Button (yes R like Reset
tongue.gif
)

Some screenshots :
a7800ds2v10_01.png
a7800ds2v10_02.png

a7800ds2v10_03.png
a7800ds2v10_04.png

Download : A7800DS2 V1.0

Of course, i'm releasing the source code because I am not the original author of ProSystem Emulator : A7800DS2 V1.0 source code

V1.0 : 25/05/2011
* Initial release based on my DS/DSi version (which is based on Prosystem 1.0.3)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i want as many emulators as you have time to code for the ds/dsi/scds2. so lets talk about a port of the RAW another world engine so that i can finally have someone fix the bugs i've found while playing over the last few years! lol.

keep it up the good work. i'm glad to see some of the projects this bouny has generated.

-another world

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't belive all that HARD WORK!!!!
yaynds.gif

FOUR GREAT EMULATORS in less that one week, wow. I follow you from some years/emulators and you allways surprise me with fresh ideas.
I want to ask you: it's posible to put all atari emulator (sometime later, of course) in one program? I said it to you thinking on a easy way to maintenance.
wacko.gif

Forgive me if my idea is stupid.
unsure.gif

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
alekmaul, I have also updated the source for this to load roms from launch arguments created by BAGplug and iMenu. All changes take place in ds2_main.c
The updated source and binary can be found here: http://bag.nfnet.org/wp-content/uploads/20...source_args.zip
The binary can be found in the /a7800DS2V10_source/toDSTWO/_dstwoplug/ folder of the above download

Here is the updated ds2_main.c file if you don't want to download the entire archive:
CODE
//ds2_main.c

#include
#include
#include
#include

#define BLACK_COLOR RGB15(0, 0, 0)
#define WHITE_COLOR RGB15(31, 31, 31)

extern void main(int argc, char* argv[]);

//for reading launch arguments created by BAGplug and iMenu
#include
int Get_Args(char *file, char **filebuf, int lim)
{
FILE* dat = fopen(file, "rb");
if(dat)
{
int i = 0;
while(!feof (dat) && i 0)
filebuf[len--] = '';

if(len > 0)
i++;
}

fclose(dat);
remove(file);
return i;
}
return 0;
}

void ds2_main(void)
{
int err;

//Initial video and audio and other input and output
err = ds2io_initb(1024,22050,0,0); //1024
if(err) goto _failure;

//Initial console for printf funciton
err = ConsoleInit(WHITE_COLOR, BLACK_COLOR, UP_SCREEN, 10);
if(err) goto _failure;

//Initial file system
printf("trying to init fat system ...\n");
err = fat_init();
if(err) goto _failure;

//check for args (BAGPlug and iMenu for DSTwo)
char argv_buffer[2][MAX_PATH];// [0] for file path of launched binary, [1] for file path of selected rom
char *argv[2] = { (char*)&argv_buffer[0], (char*)&argv_buffer[1] };
int argc = Get_Args("/plgargs.dat", argv, 2);

//go to user main funtion
main(argc, argv);

_failure:
printf("some error\n");
while(1);
ds2_plug_exit();
}

inacito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Alex, thanks for all your great work and the hours of fun you gave us.

If your planning new versions I have a suggestion for all of them: save states.
These are the greatest benefit of retro gaming, and it's a pity to have a great emulator without them (for example, it's what NeoDS is missing to be near perfect).

Many games of old were given new life by this, I've even gotten further than in their time. For example, I was not able to finish Another World when it came on the AtariST.

And please, I may even ask more: add save states to Manic Miner, XRick and LodeRunner. These are very difficult games and I find myself playing them on MSX or ZX emulators rather than your excellent remakes.

And, if you feel bored
tongue.gif
and want to broaden your universe, I'd LOVE a BBC Micro emulator for the DS. It was my first computer and I have loving memories of it, I cannot understand why it has not been emulated yet.

Again, thanks a lot for your work. Back to play!

EDIT: And to DSTwo MAME as well
wink.gif
Savestates rule!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work as always, I do have to say the DS2 version works much better then the standard version. Would it be possible to do a quick updated version that has the ARG support BAG added to the normal version? Thanks.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
inacito said:
If your planning new versions I have a suggestion for all of them: save states.

really?? for atari 7800 games? LOL. really? the charm of these games is that they can be beat in about an hour if you master the mechanics of the game. mastering these games were your bragging rights back then. its not like they have amazing stories are endings you can't live without experiencing. to me, save-states on games like these are just a way to cheat. instead you should be trying to master your top score and beat the level you always seem to die on.

QUOTEI'd LOVE a BBC Micro emulator for the DS. I cannot understand why it has not been emulated yet.

there is one for slot-2. the web site is long dead but you can find the file in my slot-2 pack. it has pretty good compatibility but some speed issues. it would probably run rather well if made for the dsi-mode. the problem is the project is long dead and porting slot-2 to slot-1 isn't super easy. i would think the better thing to do would be to start a project like this from scratch.

here: http://filetrip.net/f4537-Slot2-Emulators-...terpreters.html

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc