A2ki customization.

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by HamBone41801, Jul 6, 2017.

1. HamBone41801
    OP

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    I was wondering if it would be possible to change the game that the card shows up as. (not really fond of the horse)

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    There are a few other bootstraps but you might loose compatibility if you "update".

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You won't with CFWs. The firmware only effects the header used by the cart. The kernel (akAIO) isn't affected by the firmware.
    I theory it should be possible to change the header, considering we can dump the header and edit it

4. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Who says that OP uses a CFW? He might have a 3DS at 11.4 or a DSi.
    We can't use anything we want as header. Only a few games before DSi release are supportet (or you use a custom header which requires a DS lite).

5. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The OP is SOL because the Ak2i doesn't work on 3DS OFW past 4.3 and DSi 1.44
    But since the OP can see the cart and is most likely using it, thus they are using a CFW.

6. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Or a DSi with 1.4.4 or a DS lite. I'm pretty sure that custom headers won't work on a 3DS even if it has a custom firmware (except if you do a custom launcher for it).

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Oh yeah and their signature helps too.

8. HamBone41801
    OP

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    well, I guys @Technicmaster0 didn't see my sig, (which is fine) but yea. this is the 3DS I'm using: Hyrule Gold N3DS XL | 11.4.0-37U | B9S(1.0)/Luma3DS(7.1) | Linked To NNID | Not Banned.

alternatively, are there other games that could be used in place of the pippa thing that would accomplish the same goal?

9. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Yes, you can use other AK2i firmware updates. They will have other icons.

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    So I almost forgot about this thread until I remembered how much I hated the horse icon and went to see if anything came of it. Then I found this post and was like, "I wonder."
    Doing a little digging, I happened to find this thread, with a direct link to the update file (I was hoping to be the Deep Labyrinth icon) Being that the link was long dead, I used https://web.archive.org to actually download the file and flashed it using my DS Lite. Turned out to be Rafa Nadal Tennis icon. Not the one I wanted, but it did prove that I could downgrade my Acekard 2i to older firmwares.
    So if I can dig up all of the update files, I can only mirror them on one filetrip, but I should be able to make backup of my flashcart that be flashed HW81 carts.
    This doesn't give the option to change to just any game, but it does give the user the option to pick from previous headers.
    Here is the icon on my 3DS
    HNI_0065.JPG

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 15, 2017
    HamBone41801 likes this.
  11. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    I would actually be keen to see if the icons can be changed to a custom one. I do remember making a post about it back in the day but got shot down because "there is no point if you are going to just see it for a couple of seconds anyway" or something along those lines. Granted, back then it was probably more effort than it was worth with all the header checks and what have you but now that it is no longer a concern, it would be interesting to see where we can take this. If memory serves me correctly, someone even made an AK2i icon but I don't think it was ever released.

HamBone41801 likes this.
  12. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Well back then everyone auto-booted into their carts. It's been a few years now and things have progressed past that. I actually dumped my Acekard2i header. Booting it boots back into the cart itself.
    I am actually playing around with header now to see what I can do. First, if you have a DS Lite you can flash the older headers, I got me a web archive for everyone.
    I actually got the icon I wanted B-)
    HNI_0066.JPG

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 15, 2017
    porkiewpyne likes this.
  13. HamBone41801
    OP

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    too bad the firmware isn't on git hub or something. That would make it much easier to just replace the icon .bin file.

@Lilith Valentine that's actually pretty cool!

@porkiewpyne If you ever find that icon let my know! Also, thanks for the reply.

14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I have something in the works. Soon.Ak2i

15. bobdamnit

bobdamnit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Well, this is pretty awesome. I've been wanting to dispose of this stupid horse on my 3DS homescreen for a few years now. Sadly, I don't have a DS/DSLite. What I find amazing is this, which came from the developers of AKAIO:

My question is, if the card can use partial data to exploit the DSi/3DS checks, why can't we modify this in CFW (similar to bypassing blacklists on 3DS) somehow to change the icon? Even if it must be done each boot, to me this would be extremely viable because I basically only reboot when a system/CFW update is available. It may only work for 3DS users, I don't know. My knowledge on flashcards/NDS/3DS are limited to following 3DS.guide. :(

16. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    bobdamnit and HamBone41801 like this.
  17. HamBone41801
    OP

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    Lilith Valentine likes this.