Gaming A very clumsy gamer who prolly needs a little advise.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, a friend of mine was out for a walk today when all of a sudden he tripped, fell, and accidentally downloaded a copy of links awakening in NSP format. I told him this was highly suspect as that game wasn't to be released until the 20th of this month. I... he did a little searching online and found quite a few articles stating that it was indeed out in the wild (See what I did there?). I combed through a lot of posts here to see if there is a way to test if an NSP is actually what it is advertised to be. And of course he would want a way to find out if it's safe to install. He has a backup of the switch's firmware the day he got it. It's one of the first models made so it's not a patched unit. I..er..He has pre-ordered the game already so he feels as though he has the right to play a game he has paid for. But I hope that doesn't become the focus of this thread. I am hoping someone has a helpful suggestion. If I remember correctly the file size is 6.2G. Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide to such a clumsy person who is a danger to himself, and everyone else when he is out IRL.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
My friend also fell and also found a copy of Zelda on his Switch.
Just 2 days before he could pickup his preordered game from the store.
What are the odds!

I presume that Zelda got out because Nintendo ships games to stores a few days in advance in some countries.

Usually there are CRC or MD5 checksums out there to check if what you downloaded is legit or not.
But since this is out a few days in advance, I haven't seen any so far.
The filesize for the NSP is 6.2 GB (unzipped) as far as my friend could determine.
But there are several tools to convert a XCI to NSP so that might cause the difference.

Without MD5 checksums it's hard to say if our friends will end up with Nintendo paperweights.
But if nobody in the neighborhood where your friend fell is complaining that the game bricked their switches,
then chances are that it's the real deal.

The nswdb.com database doesn't have an entry for Zelda yet.
I don't know if the CRC is for the XCI or NSP (I presume the XCI).
If your friend doesn't want to run any risk, have him either wait for the nswdb database to be updated or his official copy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So are you playing Mario on your Xbox online on that PlayStation Network? +2