Homebrew A txt reader for the acekard 2i?

Arif

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I want to read some txt files on the DSi XL since it has such a nice big screen, but I haven't found a good homebrew for this.
I tried to open txt files in AKA?O 1.6 RC2, but it just crashed
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something that has the following:
- Setable colors for the text and background (I'd like a black background with white letters)
- A bookmark option so I can continue where I left of.
- A way to change the font size.
If anyone knows of a nice homebrew that can do this it'll be really appreciated.

valyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Dsreader doesnt work on the ak2i on the dsi something to do with the 1.4 update i think.
What you can do is convert your text files to .epub format with calibre (get it Here) and use dslibris which does everything you asked for and
has adjustable backlight while reading, also epubs are smaller than txt files so it saves space
get dslibris Here

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
you can use moonshell2 to view text files

you can also bookmark or save the position where you last stop

but you cant change font, but you can resize the text

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dnniwa485 said:
you can use moonshell2 to view text files

you can also bookmark or save the position where you last stop

but you cant change font, but you can resize the text
I miss the old Moonshell2 reader where you could choose the number of lines to jump with the Left/Right arrow.
With the current Moonshell2 reader, it only jumps 1 screen (9 lines) even in 2 screen mode.

Also, even though I use it, DSLibris is retarded for not including plaintext support.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arif said:
I need some help
blush.gif

When I try to load an epub I get this screen:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/R...0100417_001.jpgDoes DSLibris load fine?

Because mine crashes similarly (but the backlight is off -- 'Phat' DS) on AceKard2i with 1.6RC2... so maybe it's an AceKard problem.
I fixed it, somehow...... Let me try to break it, and I'll update what I did to fix it.

Ok... Here's how I fixed my problem, hopefully it will work for you:
1). Make sure you have a "book"* folder
2). Make sure the "book"* folder has at least one file in it.

* - You can change the folder name from "book" to something like "ebooks".
Find:CODEÂÂÂÂChange to:CODEÂÂÂÂ

Mr Wendal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSreader is better, but doesn't work on Acekard2i and NDS firmware 1.4 at the moment. It sucks because it's way better than DS libris. It's faster and uses .txt files. Unfortunately bookmarks dont work if your .txt file has spaces in the filename, it's so retarded.

dslibris is even more retarded. No .txt, slower to load books, but by far the stupidest thing is it's designed to be used with the DS on the side like Brain Age or Hotel Dusk ... which means you get like three words per line.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mr Wendal said:
DSreader is better, but doesn't work on Acekard2i and NDS firmware 1.4 at the moment. It sucks because it's way better than DS libris. It's faster and uses .txt files. Unfortunately bookmarks dont work if your .txt file has spaces in the filename, it's so retarded.If I recall, DSReader also has a lot less options.
Also, the whole bookmark with spaces thing is a considerable pain in the ass since, if I recall correctly, it will corrupt ALL your bookmarks.

QUOTE(Mr Wendal @ Apr 18 2010, 02:25 AM) dslibris is even more retarded. No .txt, slower to load books, but by far the stupidest thing is it's designed to be used with the DS on the side like Brain Age or Hotel Dusk ... which means you get like three words per line.
You mean it's mean to be held like a book.....
As for the whole "three words per line", while somewhat accurate it is an exaggeration... I'm counting about 5~7 words per line on average -- which is about double what you were claiming..

And while held in 'DS Mode', you get less lines. So I think it pretty much balances out in terms of words-per-screen..... unless you're reading just a giant block of un-formatted text. But if you're reading an ebook with indentations and blank lines and chapter headings and scene breaks, I think you get a bit more info per-page by holding it in the 'Book Mode'.

Mr Wendal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Word per line depends on your font size. I use 16 so my eyes dont bleed.
With book style your eyes have to "jump" much more often. Read this:

Hello my name is Mr
Wendal. I come from
the planet zorbon it is
very cold there in
summer. So residents
often wear thermal
shorts and t-shirts.

In winter it is very warm due to the
lack of polar ice cream. Sometimes,
ice cream attacks the people of
the village with lunar mountains.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
25FF said:
You can also convert your text files to xhtml by using PSPad, if DSLibris fails when reading ePub files.
The process is a two step one:
1). HTML -> Conversion -> Convert to HTML
2). HTML -> TiDy -> TiDy convert to XHTML

I'll test in a minute to see how the end process looks vs my epubs and then update.

Does not work. Gives error (254) in DSLibris.
DSLibris seems to be very picky about which XHTML files it accepts.

25FF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Change the header to:
CODE

ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂBook title here
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
/**/
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
/**/
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂ
ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ

If it still doesn't work, use Abiword and save file to xhtml. Tested it and it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM