a scientific discussion about cold water.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
its interesting,
Whenever I pour water into a plastic bottle and put it in the freezer and take it out just when its so cold but its not frozen yet, just when you bring it out of freezer, it will freeze but it wasnst frozen when you brought it out of the freezer but it just got froze when you brought to a hotter place, the room.

why is that?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I skimmed through those articles but as I investigated the freeze, I realized its set to -5 °C but for supercooling it should be around -42°C.

I'll investigate more! (hint: Private Investigation by Dire Straits)

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
yes, just when you bring the bottle out, there creates some thin ice inside it.

it seems that in the freezer, there is something going on with the water (or the plastic bottle) that doesnt let the water freeze (maybe its temperature going down so fast) but when you bring it out, it reaches its freezing point and THEN freezes but since this freezer is set to -5 C, thats not probably be the case.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
there should be a report button for scientific topics to FAST.
i DO was sure that you missed this topic.

i skimmed that link but are they related?

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
I will try to explain this, but I lack a bit of english technical words.

Since you live in Japan, your water is probably heavily treated to make it drinkable. It is not "pure" water, but a solution. A water solution freezes at a lower temperature than pure water. The new freezing point depends on the solution concetration. The more concentrated, the lower the new freezing point. In your case is concentrated enough to have a freezing point lower than -5 ºC, so the water doens't freeze inside your freezer.

Before trying to explain the inside freezing (thin inner layer of ice) when you bring it out I need to know if the bottle has to be open for this to happen or it also happens with a closed bottle.

Mortenga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
test84 said:
its interesting,
Whenever I pour water into a plastic bottle and put it in the freezer and take it out just when its so cold but its not frozen yet, just when you bring it out of freezer, it will freeze but it wasnst frozen when you brought it out of the freezer but it just got froze when you brought to a hotter place, the room.

why is that?

I hope your mother dies of cancer.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't really matter if you live in Japan. I assumed that based on your flag. Wherever you live, the water you pour into the bottle is a solution concentated enough to have a freezing point lower than -5 ºC. This water is common in coastal regions with limited access to sweet water (from mountains, underground streams).

Anyway, how about the freezing happening before or after you open the bottle when you bring it out of the freezer?

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to finish this question I will assume the freezing inside the bottle happens after opening the it, which leads to the easiest explanation.

The air in your room contains water vapor to some extent (usually measured as the relative humidity). Contrary to the water in the bottle, the vapor water is "pure", having a higher freezing point (depends on the atmospheric pressure, at 1 atm or 760 mmHg it is around 0.4 ºC, the lower the pressure, the lower the freezing point).

When you open the bottle, the room water vapor contacts the water surface inside the bottle. The water surface (at around -5 ºC) is cold enough to condensate the vapor (which becomes liquid "pure" water) and quickly freeze it forming the thin layer/fragments of ice you see on the surface.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
So, how to reproduce supercooling effect easily ?
tongue.gif

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
So, how to reproduce supercooling effect easily ?
tongue.gif

Buh, try the opposite. Put a cup of distilled water into a microwave with a cup of tap water (seperate, of course). Turn it on until the latter boils - you now have super heated water in the first container. Adding something will make it boil (rapidly and violently)
(Also, never do that. I will not be liable when you burn your skin off)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored