A sad day for th United Kingdom

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
~De arimasu said:
Is there an estimate to how long until this is actually put into effect?

Gonna pirate as much as possible before then xD
Now that I've heard of this, I'm actually gonna download every single DS ROM. I've done that before (when it was only up to #2300) but this time, I'm gonna omit shovelware and games in the (U) and (J) region - except the ones not released in (E) yet...

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
~De arimasu said:
Is there an estimate to how long until this is actually put into effect?

Gonna pirate as much as possible before then xD

It will probably be at least 3 - 6 months I would imagine. If it gets through the House of Commons quickly, they still need to allow time for the public to become aware of the new law.

If they do not do this, everyone can just plead ignorance. You cannot enforce a law that the public do not know about.

Well, this is how it is meant to be. Though I am sure over time it will become only worse.

Quesenek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kalics said:
I only feel this is going to end up hurting the industry more than helping it. A lot of people download music as a taster then buy the album, if this nazi law comes in to effect then it's only going to hurt artists.

Also what's stopping people going in to mcdonalds / starbucks / other places with free wifi and doing all their downloading there? Nothing really. It just seems a very flawed concept to me.
Yes that's true and really could work since the public wifi hotspots hold no info about what has been downloaded all it registers is that it is on.
You are also right about it hurting the Artists. I on a lot of occasions have downloaded things and liked them so much that I had to go out and buy them ASAP. If it was not for that little taste that I had I would not have even thought twice about that Game or CD.

A fix for music downloading could be Rhapsody. I have an account and its unlimited access for $15 a month.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yea they want to do a similar thing in Holland

They want to impose a so-called 3 strike law that if you get caught illegal dl/ul you get cut off the net after the 3rd time being caught

Hmmmm... Who said Communism was a bad idea? Atleast with the commies youd get everything equally >_>

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Allright, sorry I´m not from the UK, so could someone actualy tell me what this bill is about and what is so bad about it?
From what I´ve read its primary about anti piracy and cutting off pirates from the net, am I right? So what? Dont break the law and you dont get punished. Sure getting cut off from the internet isn´t what you want, but it´s not worse than what you could expect in germany for an example, get caught here and you can pay all you earn in the next 20 years to the industry. Well, bouth are a pain in the aars, but in my opinion far from what some kids here seem to be enough to go buy some crooked cross uniforms to hail their new goverment.
Shit, some of you behave like Adolf now resides in Downing Street, just because the goverment wants to prevent software piracy...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
GundamXXX said:

They want to impose a so-called 3 strike law that if you get caught illegal dl/ul you get cut off the net after the 3rd time being caught

Hmmmm... Who said Communism was a bad idea? Atleast with the commies youd get everything equally >_>

Intellectual property laws are an inherently capitalist ideal, so theoretically a communist state would be a pirate's heaven with all art, from games, films, music or whatever belonging to the people. But then China has the most draconian internet censorship in the entire world, so go figure.

Llama Riot

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Theft is not a right or a freedom, that being said
frown.gif
. Communism only works in theory human greed a lust for power has and will always cause it to crumble.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
Allright, sorry I´m not from the UK, so could someone actualy tell me what this bill is about and what is so bad about it?
From what I´ve read its primary about anti piracy and cutting off pirates from the net, am I right? So what? Dont break the law and you dont get punished. Sure getting cut off from the internet isn´t what you want, but it´s not worse than what you could expect in germany for an example, get caught here and you can pay all you earn in the next 20 years to the industry. Well, bouth are a pain in the aars, but in my opinion far from what some kids here seem to be enough to go buy some crooked cross uniforms to hail their new goverment.
Shit, some of you behave like Adolf now resides in Downing Street, just because the goverment wants to prevent software piracy...

The main concern is that it basically by-passes the justice system. Record companies say you're violating their copyright, they demand that the ISP send you a threatening letter, then they claim you're doing it again and demand the ISP throttle or disconnect your connection. So you're basically being punished on the basis of an accusation, rather than actually being found guilty of anything.

Llama Riot

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It will only be a minor inconvenience if it is enforced at all. Pirates will invariably find a means to an end, if connections are slowed or terminated we'll just pirate legitimate users until they are forced to ban everyone or repeal the law.

~De arimasu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
SirCB85 said:

The main concern is that it basically by-passes the justice system. Record companies say you're violating their copyright, they demand that the ISP send you a threatening letter, then they claim you're doing it again and demand the ISP throttle or disconnect your connection. So you're basically being punished on the basis of an accusation, rather than actually being found guilty of anything.
For those who watched the Panorama episode on this bill, you'd also know that it's more likely to do damage to the industry than cause it to pick up. I wasn't really paying attention to it, but I remember it mentioning that pirates spend around a third more on music than those who buy legally.

There's also the case of expanding knowledge of music, and then seeing the band play live. Quite a lot of big bands at the moment would remain unheard of were it not for the access to free downloads etc.

It all seems a bit greedy of the record companies imo, but we'll see how things go now the law's been passed.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BeatriceTheGolden said:
OH THIS IS SOOO TERRIBLE!
YOU MEAN PEOPLE DOING SOMETHING UNETHICAL AND ILLEGAL ARE GOING TO BE PUNISHED?
No. It means people accused of doing something unethical and illegal are going to be punished without any kind of proof.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BlueStar said:
Okay, that one I can understand, I thought it would run through court. Like you have been proven guilty 3 times of illegal dl/ul and the legal system then cuts your net. Well, thats worse than I thought, but you have to admit, its realy not as bad as Nazigermany back in the days
wink.gif

Well, when you get caught in germany, where the industry first gathers the data on your dl/uling and then has to present it to legal authorities before they can even ask your isp who you are, at first you get mail from some lawers, telling you to pay them some hundred up to tens of thousands of euro outherwise they would drag you in front of a court and sue you for everything you got and probably ever will earn in your life.
And thats just the zivil retraisals of getting caught pirating.. I actualy don´t know if it realy happended once, but theoreticaly you can get charged at a criminal court which can sentence you to up to 4 years in prisson I think.

Llama Riot

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
BeatriceTheGolden said:
OH THIS IS SOOO TERRIBLE!
YOU MEAN PEOPLE DOING SOMETHING UNETHICAL AND ILLEGAL ARE GOING TO BE PUNISHED?

Some people believe that all knowledge, information, art, etc., should be openly shared and available to everyone for the greater good and advancement of the human race. Laws are laws and theft is illeagal, but whether it is unethical or not is purely a matter of perspective, and most people would disagree with you.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A lot of the music I listen too, the labels advertise that you can download the music for free, and share it how you like. Then if you enjoy it, you can consider giving some money towards the artists by buying the album.

Which is a really nice, and greater, way I think.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I got banned I would move out of this place without hesitation. I'm fed up with the way things are in the UK in recent year and things are just getting worse as the months go by.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thegame07 said:
If I got banned I would move out of this place without hesitation. I'm fed up with the way things are in the UK in recent year and things are just getting worse as the months go by.
I second that. But where do we migrate? Russia? Greenland? The Nordic countries?

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a sad thing indeed. Usually I wouldn't say anything, but this is bad in so many ways. Think about 10 year old Johnny. He loves his video games. So he begs his mom and dad for internet and a wifi router so he can play with pals online. Not knowing anything about it, he does not secure his network. Next door 21 year old Ned decides to hijack Johnny's wifi. Johnnys parents get fined or worse. Johnny looses the internet and gets a criminal record. We cannot continue to apply the standard legal concept to non standard internet and tech crimes. To rush a bill through with so little consideration or concern for innocent persons or networks or even ISPs seems childish and is a smack in the face to the population of the U.K.. Good luck over there...

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
GundamXXX said:

the had plans, but they scrapped them. The minister of justice and economy, who decide about this, have send a letter to the parlement saying it's unacceptable.
All those laws about stopping piracy are a part of a 'contract' that the EU and the USA have made, to stop piracy and forgery.
The ministers are saying that the meetings about this contract are to secret, and that the public hardly knows about them, which is true.
Obama has said that he wants to keep those meetings secret.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.