A sad day for th United Kingdom

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by kicknhorse, Mar 17, 2010.

Mar 17, 2010
  1. kicknhorse
    OP

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8569750.stm

A sad, sad day...

I revert, with suprise, my previous criticism that this would not pass the House of Lords, so my apologies.

Please ignore the spelling mistake in the title - I was in a state of shock and cannot now change it... Maybe a Mod would be so kind?

2. /b/

Newcomer /b/ Newbie

United States
  3. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    FIXED

please learn how to post youtube videos you got the right tags but only the bold part is needed inside the tags
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

on-topic this completely SUCKS lets hope SOMETHING delays this being passed or stops it altogether

4. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Yes, sad this may be, but /b/- I can't help but wonder why you think America is safe either. They'll just do it too eventually most likely. That is what you were referring to right? That America was better because it hasn't done the same yet. It's only a matter of time, some cable companies are already lobbying for restrictions on internet file sharers... >_>

5. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    oh well goodbye to freedom and choice, hello to dictatorship, i know its only a small start but everything starts off that way. sieg heil

6. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you granville. Very nicely said indeed. (typed?). I am sure Americana will have something in the near future, or maybe even worse...

And your right Yusuo, it is almost how all have started. For example, the first government to come up with a smoking ban was the Nazi government - though it was never fully in place.

They are no considering restricting smoking from certain areas on public streets. Which in my opinion is impossible, and one step closer to facism.

7. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    i know when i was living in California still a lot of cities have banned public smoking and you will get a fat fine if you are caught smoking...

8. ilovengage

Member ilovengage GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    lol, what do you want to tell us with this video? that you're proud to be an american? proud for what? national pride is one of the most stupid characteristics someone can have (an americans seem to have it a lot ....).

9. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. - George Bernard Shaw

Anyway, this thread is about the foolish DEB, not America. Get back on topic. SCHNELL!

10. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    The only option we have is to riot I think.

But then you saw what happened with the hunting ban, and they still continued...

Also, it is rumoured petrol could hit as much as £2.00 a litre by the end of 2010 (off topic I know, but I thought some might want to know this).

I remember when I was younger and petrol went up, HGV's blocked all the distribution places so no petrol could get anywhere and the government was forced to lower the price. Can we arrange something like this again? [​IMG] I think that's what happened, but I was really quite young.

11. Reecey

Member Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

United Kingdom
    Still not going to stop me from doing it, thats as long as Bt Buisness Broadband lets me, hasnt stopped me as yet. Fingers crossed.

12. Kalics

Newcomer Kalics Newbie

United Kingdom
    I only feel this is going to end up hurting the industry more than helping it. A lot of people download music as a taster then buy the album, if this nazi law comes in to effect then it's only going to hurt artists.

Also what's stopping people going in to mcdonalds / starbucks / other places with free wifi and doing all their downloading there? Nothing really. It just seems a very flawed concept to me.

13. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I'm willing to bet there's some problem with the legislation itself, there usually is. I'm alslo wondering how many net providers will actually comply, they arn't naive to think people don't pirate.

I said once and I'll say it again, New labour put their arses in the air to be fucked by big business.

14. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hear, Hear!

As none of the other main party's are any better. I wonder how a hung parliament would work out? Hah

15. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    If there is a hung parliament than there's a good chance that nothing will get done. Usually that's a bad thing but considering who we have, I think it might do more good tha harm (except for the pound which will suffer)

16. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    FFFFUUUU....
    THIS IS WHY WHEN I'M OLDER I'M MOVING TO JAPAN!

17. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I guess we will have to wait and see on how well they actually police this, but yes, a sad day indeed!

18. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I thought the smoking ban was already imposed? It still failed though, it felt like there was no ban at all...

19. ~De arimasu

Member ~De arimasu GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is there an estimate to how long until this is actually put into effect?

Gonna pirate as much as possible before then xD

20. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    As usual with this kind of shit, for all the talk of going after "downloaders" I would be quite frankly amazed if a single person received even a letter unless they were actually using file sharing P2P methods (ie uploading as well)

So unless you're some kind of pillock who uses torrents and the like, don't worry.