A quick question for ps4 and sony enthusiasts

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by Vahnyyz, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Vahnyyz
    OP

Vahnyyz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2007
    United States
    Branford Fl
    I know everyone's waiting and wanting on the whole cfw/jailbreak and everything on the ps4 and I totally get that because I'd like to see that happen. I do have a question though, lets say its 2016 mid 3rd quarter and FFXV has been released and its on something that we can actively buy in stores, how quickly can sony have a new security feature that would stop us? Would it be something we HAVE to update to for it to affect us, or could something be put "in game" that can be updated that would force a break of the mod/cfw/jailbreak

sorry if its a bad question or one that may seem confusing.

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Only in assuming that FF15 is the game worth having this discussion over. :)

Anyway, I don't believe they would (or maybe even could) put something in a game to do that, they'd just make the game require whatever firmware update quashes whatever exploit they're trying to kill, same as always. There would be some major potential issues if a game went mucking about the system files outside of the normal update process. Could you imagine if it started bricking systems or something? Yeah, I don't think they'll risk that.

edit:

maybe I was confused by your question (but it's still not bad) as a reread makes it seem more like you're thinking of them patching a game that has an exploit rather than a game patching an exploit. Only things they could do is issue an update for the game that patches out the exploit, but if you'd have to be connected to the internet for them to do that, so it would be easy to prevent them. They could also issue a recall and send out "fixed" discs, but that would be expensive and obviously there'd still be discs floating around out there.

Last edited by tbb043, Nov 24, 2015
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    if you are on a lower FW
    an
    Updated ps4 will be needed to use the PSN
    and there might be
    a update for the game that needs newer fw for the game to run if the update is installed

4. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    They would probably start doing what pc publishers are doing now and start shipping the discs with nothing but an online-only installer.

This is all assuming there will be any sort of hack available in the future or ever (there probably never will be).

5. bitjacker

bitjacker GBAtemp Disorderly

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    it would be really neat if people could keep quiet about exploits. have some way of communicating out of the public eye about things.

6. Hiroshi21

Hiroshi21 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2003
    United States
    USA
    Nothing is hack proof, it will always be a game of cat and mouse.. It wouldn't be inconceivable in this day and age to have disk based "installers" for online downloads, then all Sony would have to do is disallow older firmware versions from connecting to PSN. This can be defeated pretty easily though, so not sure.