vhunter

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For a while now I have been interested in playing indie or independent games. As this interest grew so did the will of making my own indie games. I understand that there are many way and programs to make indie game, some that don't require any knowledge of programming. I honestly prefer the flexibility of programming knowledge to help improve the overall quality. As for the actual question; How difficult and time consuming is learning programming. I am aware that there is no exact answer for this but a personal or general response is what I ask for. I'm not planning on majoring in programming, just have the capabilities to make worthwhile 2d games. I appreciate any recommendations or links that may help. Thanks.

This is just my repost from yahoo answers, I prefer a forum for these types of questions.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Programming is pretty straight forward. Depending on some factors, there is a slight learning curve. After the learning curve, you will have an empty tool box ready to load up with tools for you to use. It's your choice how you use your tools.

eltrut

Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
Difficult? Not really. Just have to think creatively...with math.

Time-consuming? Very.

Pretty much sums it up. How are you with maths in school? If you suck(ed) at maths, I'm sorry to say that you will have trouble with programming. Don't be disheartened either way if you don't make something flashy or overly fun within a week because to become good takes years in most cases.

My advice to start anyway though, go straight to one of at least the mid-level languages like Java so that you get to understand how and why everything works. Once you learn one of the harder languages, it is easy to pick up another one. I reckon if you start on LUA (I've never used it personally) you will get used to it doing more simplified version of programming and have to relearn half of it to progress. As a reference, most independent games are made in (I believe) C/C++ (Larger, closer to commercial games) or Flash/Flex (generally smaller, this is what nearly all of the games you play in your browser are made in).

Take advantage of still being school age and do a course.

vhunter

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. Im am pretty good with math in general so I hope that helps. I've havent heard too much about lua but I have about java. Im going to search up some info java and Lua. I was thinking visual basic might be good, (because it has basic in it -_-) is it?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Visual Basic is object oriented, might not be a good choice. However, I can't vouch for you learning ability. Having "Basic" in the name won't make it any easier.
smile.gif

Edit: damn, forgot a word there!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
Visual Basic is object oriented, might not be a good choice. However, I vouch for you learning ability. Having "Basic" in the name won't make it any easier.
smile.gif
Exactly... I've dabbled in programming all the way back since the Spectrum 48, tried Delphi (Visual Pascal) & I've been trying to understand VB .net - using SharpDevelop GUI (since it 'looks' similar to Delphi)

I'm having a hard time understanding vb net since it actually differs from Delphi by quite a lot, what with non-global variables, modules & tons of other stuff.

I agree that it's best to learn a non-visual language, especially if you're planning to do programming homebrew games etc, it is also usually cross-platform compatible - so you'll only need one language & yet still could program for not only Windows, but Mac as well

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I have been programming since the age of 12 when I started doing games and the like.
I used a language called Blitz Basic using the IDE BlitzPlus. This was a great way to start programming, better than Visual Basic in my opinion as VB does a load of crap for you, BB requires you to program it all yourself.

I have experience in Java for over a year now and would probably not suggest starting with it. It can be very complicated and is not really game orientated.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'd go for C++ but that's maybe just me... If you want either 2D or 3D C++ is great ;D

also, here you'll have a lot of openGL tutorials which can be handy (I've had trouble with some due to newer versions and stuff): http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill