A question about the Fat PS3 80GB and compatibility

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been looking into possibly getting a Fat PS3 for full backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games which my wife and I have a lot of. I hear that the best models for this are the 60GB and the 20GB models however when it comes to the Fat 80GB models there seems to be a lot of talk as to why its not compatible. Some say its actually physical hardware changes in this particular model that prevent this and some say its a firmware update that breaks support on PS2 games. If its the latter could this be rectified by reversing the firmware or by jailbreaking it? If its not and instead a hardware limitation then there is probably nothing more that can be done there.

Unfortunately it seems that most of my searches locally for a fat PS3 have resulted in the 80GB model being posted (and for decent prices none the less!) but if its something that cannot be fully supported via an exploit then I guess I need to keep my eye out on the other two instead.

Hopefully I can get a direct and clear answer on this since again, discussion about this seems to vary from all over the net.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need one of the following, CECHB01, CECHA01, CECHE01MG, or CECHE01 that is backward compatibles with ps2 games

Capture.PNG

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's been too long for me, so I'll try to remember, but iirc, there are three ps2 emulators. the normal emu, gx emu (software), and netemu (ps2 classics). full bc should work with most games, though not all afaik. gx emu is for the ones that are missing I think the emotion engine chip, which is the cpu of the ps2, so that's emulated to an extent. that's maybe 80% bc with discs. netemu is ps2 classics. a lot of games work with config files, and I'm not sure what the percentage is. discs do not work with them though afaik.

edit: gx emu is for systems that are either missing the cpu, the emotion engine, or gpu, think it's called reality synthesizer. I can't recall which one, but it sounds more like the gpu based on the name "gx emu."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM