A question about homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by GreatZimkogway, Sep 6, 2009.

Sep 6, 2009
  1. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    For the homebrew programs that need to be on the root of the MicroSD card, is it possible to sort of "trick" them into being able to work while in a folder? It gets irritating when I have to have all that stuff on the main folder of the card...

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    can you give examples of such apps?

edit: haven't seen a way to do it

3. Primenay13

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States

No not unless the app or game has the option to do so.

4. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    My best example is Moonshell2's .nds startup file. It never works unless it's on the root of the MicroSD. And my OCD just don't like that. (I'm a major folder whore)(

5. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    the .nds file can usually load from anywhere on the card. However any dependencies it has, such as a folder full of resources must go in a specific place (usually the root).

6. setya5785

Member setya5785 GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia

7. Burnedmagix

Member Burnedmagix GBAtemp Regular

United States

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Unfortunately, this must be done when compiling the program. There's no way to modify the .nds file after the fact to allow it to look elsewhere for the data files it expects.

A while back, some homebrew used to implement the "DATA" folder convention for exactly this reason. For instance, with DSOrganize, the "DSOrganize" folder can either be located on the root of your card or in "(root)\DATA\DSOrganize". Other homebrew supports this as well, such as DSFTP, AmplituDS, ReadMore, DS DOOM, etc. The "Colors!" application will treat whichever folder "colors.nds" is in as the root folder, so you just have to make sure that both the .nds file and the folder are paired together anywhere on your card. SNEmulDS allows you to modify the "snemul.cfg" file to specify where roms should go, rather than the default SNES folder on the root.

Most applications don't bother supporting alternative paths like that, but it's nice for the ones that do.