A problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Licardo7, Nov 14, 2008.

Nov 14, 2008

A problem by Licardo7 at 6:42 AM (1,190 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Licardo7
    OP

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I just got my 8600gt and I was amazed. So I put it in, started it up and nothing. My screen was completely black. I was confused so I turned it off and turned it on again. NOTHING! I took my card out and turned the computer on and it worked perfectly, then I put the card back it and nothing again.

Whats the problem? It shouldn't be my PSU because in the specs it told me that it ran on a minimum of a 300W PSU so I thought it was ok cus I got a 300W. I don't know what happened but can I fix it or do I have to buy a new PSU? Seems like a waste having this beauty just sitting there on my desk and not kicking ass on CoD4.

2. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    You did switch your Primary Video Adapter in your BIOS settings from onboard to PCI/AGP/PCI-X, didn't you?

Also: the easiest way to troubleshoot new video adapter problems is to have two monitors hooked up at once, until you get any bugs worked out.

3. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Wait are you saying that your pc isnt turning on, or that you are getting a black screen when the cards in?

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    sounds silly, but is the fan on the card connected, i had this exact problem when my (much older) graphics card's fan got clogged with dust and wouldn't spin

other than that, a 300w psu is quite small for that card, the minimum is probably what it will run from with nothing else in your pc connected

5. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Hmmm. Check your motherboard specifications and see if it uses a VIA chipset. If it has return your 8600 GT and get a 9600 GT instead. You need more than a 300 watt PSU as well.

6. Licardo7
    OP

United States
    It is connected, it shouldn't be cloged seeing that it's bran new and runs smoothly.
    So, if I run this card it won't run nothing else in my computer? even the M-board, CPU, etc....

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well, what I more meant was, that if your gpu says it needs 300w minimum, and your processor says 100w, and your mobo says 100w, you need 500w, etc

I didn't even think they made psus rated under 500w these days, although, I have been out of the desktop loop for a while

8. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Is there a slot for a 6-pin pci-e PSU connector? If there is, have you plugged in the cable?

Also, what PSU do you have? If it is a generic with fairly low rated wattage, you may need something better.

9. Licardo7
    OP

United States
    I do have a 6-pin but this card doesn't need one, it draws it's power from the PCI-e slot.

I have a 300W PCU and I bet it's barly enough for what I have already. So acourding to this I will need at least a 600W power supply. Any sedesions on where to find a cheap one?