Hardware A problem with 64 GB SD card for emuNAND

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not really sure if this is the correct subforum for this topic, but here goes..

I received my 64 GB SD card on which I planned on installing rxTools emuNAND onto, and because my other SD card was full and I needed more space. It was, by default, formatted in exFAT. Windows did not have a Fat32 format for over 32 GB cards, so I used something called Fat32Formatter. I followed the instructions and when I tried to format it, my PC went black. When I restarted it it said "Operating System not Found". Windows Vista Home premium BTW (ugh)

I guess the only way to fix this is to get a live CD for Windows Vista. But what exactly did I do wrong? I'm guessing the program somehow corrupted MBR (master boot record). If anyone else is using a 64 GB SD card for emuNAND, could you please tell me the steps you took to format it to FAT32?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
...did you format your drive instead of your SD?
I did not have any problem using this one on windows 7.
You can use the free trial.

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...did you format your drive instead of your SD?
I did not have any problem using this one on windows 7.
You can use the free trial.
Yeah.. Maybe that was where I screwed up. Anyway, I ordered the windows vista recovery CD online. What program did you use to format the SD though?

EDIT: Never mind. Saw the link

Last edited by TheToaster,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not really sure if this is the correct subforum for this topic, but here goes..

I received my 64 GB SD card on which I planned on installing rxTools emuNAND onto, and because my other SD card was full and I needed more space. It was, by default, formatted in exFAT. Windows did not have a Fat32 format for over 32 GB cards, so I used something called Fat32Formatter. I followed the instructions and when I tried to format it, my PC went black. When I restarted it it said "Operating System not Found". Windows Vista Home premium BTW (ugh)

I guess the only way to fix this is to get a live CD for Windows Vista. But what exactly did I do wrong? I'm guessing the program somehow corrupted MBR (master boot record). If anyone else is using a 64 GB SD card for emuNAND, could you please tell me the steps you took to format it to FAT32?
I use mini partition wizard. Let's you do everything with out screwing up.

Reactions: TheToaster

qi_synergist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can create a live environment using linux (like linux mint).. theres a small learning curve, but before you go about doing a full system recovery, you should check like you said if you just formatted the MBR..

edit: you can also go https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/ there and download the usb tool.. good thing about that tool you can back up your full SD card as an .iso and restore to your new sd, and it will auto format in the process

Last edited by qi_synergist,

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I followed the instructions and when I tried to format it, my PC went black. When I restarted it it said "Operating System not Found".
Holy fucking shit, you are fucking dumb and un-graceful with your computer footing. Also, you can use EmuNAND9 to format 64GB+ SDcards into FAT32 with or without an emuNAND partition on the card.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0.jpg

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have another problem. I created my own Vista recovery disk using a program called EasyRE. When I started it, I used the built in command line to access a program called testdisk to recover the lost partition, because EasyRE couldnt find anything. Once I did that, I sucessfull y installed Windows. But now, when I started up Vista, I had a plethora of other problems:

Both the accounts I made on that computer showed up on the login screen, so I thought all my data existed. However, when I logged into one of my accounts, something unusual happened. Explorer.exe didn't start up by default, so I had to go to task manager and start it up manually.

Second: I saw a notification on my desktop that said that I logged into a "temporary account".

Third: when I opened up my computer, I was shocked to see that drive F:/ was where Windows was installed. Drive C:/ had a label on it that said RECOVERY. I opened up Drive F:/ and navigated to the desktop. Surprisingly, all the data and files I had were still there, but didn't show up in the actual desktop. Also, I couldn't open any of the files/data as they all gave me an error saying that it couldn't find the file or whatever.

I am not sure why this is happening and how I should go about getting all my files onto drive C:/ using the recovery disk I created. The only option I can think of is completely nuking my computer and starting over (backing up the files in drive F of course). Is there any way to get my data to drive C:/?

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
OK, I have another problem. I created my own Vista recovery disk using a program called EasyRE. When I started it, I used the built in command line to access a program called testdisk to recover the lost partition, because EasyRE couldnt find anything. Once I did that, I sucessfull y installed Windows. But now, when I started up Vista, I had a plethora of other problems:

Both the accounts I made on that computer showed up on the login screen, so I thought all my data existed. However, when I logged into one of my accounts, something unusual happened. Explorer.exe didn't start up by default, so I had to go to task manager and start it up manually.

Second: I saw a notification on my desktop that said that I logged into a "temporary account".

Third: when I opened up my computer, I was shocked to see that drive F:/ was where Windows was installed. Drive C:/ had a label on it that said RECOVERY. I opened up Drive F:/ and navigated to the desktop. Surprisingly, all the data and files I had were still there, but didn't show up in the actual desktop. Also, I couldn't open any of the files/data as they all gave me an error saying that it couldn't find the file or whatever.

I am not sure why this is happening and how I should go about getting all my files onto drive C:/ using the recovery disk I created. The only option I can think of is completely nuking my computer and starting over (backing up the files in drive F of course). Is there any way to get my data to drive C:/?
you can try again, or copy all the files you need from F: to C: into the corresponding directory,

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can try again, or copy all the files you need from F: to C: into the corresponding directory,
Yeah, the thing is, all the windows files are installed on the F drive, so I don't think copying it to the C drive will fix it because the F drive is what the computer now looks for when booting the OS?

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, the thing is, all the windows files are installed on the F drive, so I don't think copying it to the C drive will fix it because the F drive is what the computer now looks for when booting the OS?
i am talking about copying the desktop folder/documents folder etc. to the same directory in the c: drive

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The name that windows attaches to a drive is not important, ther are easy ways to change around the letter it attaches to drive's it's just a cosmetic thing, tuneup and stuff can change those around probally also able in windows settings them self, but why are you not doing yourself a favor and get rid of vista and start of clean, pack your bags and leave this ruine (backup your stuff and go over to windows 10, windows 7, or even xp (still better then vista)...

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am talking about copying the desktop folder/documents folder etc. to the same directory in the c: drive
Actually, there is no desktop folder in the C drive. All the files in the C drive look completely different than the ones on the F drive. There is no windows folder or system32.

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The name that windows attaches to a drive is not important, ther are easy ways to change around the letter it attaches to drive's it's just a cosmetic thing, tuneup and stuff can change those around probally also able in windows settings them self, but why are you not doing yourself a favor and get rid of vista and start of clean, pack your bags and leave this ruine (backup your stuff and go over to windows 10, windows 7, or even xp (still better then vista)...
So are you saying I should change the drive name from F: to C:? What would I do to the C drive?

Also, would doing that allow me to open all of my applications again? Just to clarify, some apps do work: such as chrome, but it doesn't connect to the Internet even though I have it connected with an Ethernet cable. If says that it is connected in the windows bar at the bottom right, but it doesn't let me get online on any browser I use.

All of the icons for my applications have been replaced with the default icon for an exe file. Is there a fix to this issue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld