Hacking A pledge to no longer pirate!

thejakal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An anonymous post on a forum is the closest I'll come to a confession. But I'll admit it - I've had a number of DS flash carts, currently an Acekard 2i, and I have used them to illegally download copies of several games. At first, it was because I was strapped for cash. But it turned into a habit, and it was just too easy to download games instead of buying the carts. Now my Acekard has dozens of games, some of which I've spent several hours enjoying, and I didn't pay for most of them. I've even recommended flash carts to at least 2 others who I know no longer buy DS games.

Recently, a friend of mine took a job in Europe (I'm in the US). He plays DS, and we talk occasionally. I know his anecdotes may not be the truth, but as he describes it, DS piracy there is at a laughably high rate. In all of the EU market, games sell maybe 10% of what they do in the US. Publishers have all but given up on making a profit there. And the types of games that are the most pirated? Final Fantasy 4, The World Ends With You, Knights in the Nightmare, etc. - 3rd party games that don't have the history of Nintendo's characters to make them well known.

Well, I like those kinds of games. But the publishers don't know, because I've downloaded most of them instead of buying them. So, in this public forum, I will admit that I have a problem downloading games, and that I am making a resolution. From now on, I will purchase ALL my games. I will NOT use ROMS to "try out" a game to see if I like it. I will purge my Acekard of any game I don't legally own. I will purchase any game I downloaded that I spent more than an hour playing.

All in all, it won't be cheap. But it's right.

I'm not a shill for the industry, or trying to start a revolution, or trying to paint this site/forum as a den of piracy. But I'm hoping now that I put this out there, it will keep me honest in the future.

Mages4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wrong Section
Ehh I'm not gonna piss on you like that.

I'm glad you're going to support the original publishers.
However, people pirate for many reasons (Ie. Cost, Availability, Ease)
But if you can afford it, by all means, Kudos to you.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Woo! One less pirate in the world!

I agree with everything that you've said...except that trying out games isn't really bad when you're on a budget. If you're on a serious budget, you want to know what you're spending your scarcely found free money on - and the only games that have that notoriety are...well, 2d Mario platformers.

Yeah, it'll be expensive, but you'll play less games, and just play those games to their fullest, instead of just finishing the story and deleting.

High-five!

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the confession booth, my dear boy.

Nothing can save your soul, however.

evil.gif

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thejakal said:
-snip- But the publishers don't know, because I've downloaded most of them instead of buying them. -snip-

If I was a publisher I would go to (instert popular ROM site) and sort by downloads; and check how many downloads my game has.

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:

I agree with everything that you've said...except that trying out games isn't really bad when you're on a budget. If you're on a serious budget, you want to know what you're spending your scarcely found free money on - and the only games that have that notoriety are...well, 2d Mario platformers.

Yeah, it'll be expensive, but you'll play less games, and just play those games to their fullest, instead of just finishing the story and deleting.

High-five!

But you could always look at reviews before you try it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thejakal said:
But I'll admit it - I've had a number of DS flash carts, currently an Acekard 2i, and I have used them to illegally download copies of several games.
You monster! How could you do such a thing?
sad.gif

Mages4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:
thejakal said:
But I'll admit it - I've had a number of DS flash carts, currently an Acekard 2i, and I have used them to illegally download copies of several games.
sad.gif

You have to wonder though. I'm sure everyone has pirated at least one thing in their life.
(Cracked software, roms, hell, even an MP3.)

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Arp1 said:
monkat said:

High-five!

Reviewers don't have your taste in games, and may stress different things about the games, so they will look at things from an angle that you would not care about!

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Reviewers don't have your taste in games, and may stress different things about the games, so they will look at things from an angle that you would not care about!
Psh, I could care less about reviews. I look at the small introduction that goes with the game (to know what the story is) and the gameplay. After that, I say "yay or nay".

-edit-
I think everyone does this anyways...although suikoden english dub is an exception to this rule...the english dub was so cruelly horrid =D

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
thejakal said:
sad.gif
made me laugh but anyways
don't do it, waste of money

here's a better pledge, pledge not to play games anymore
or how about use pledge on your furniture to make it smell nice

that wasn't funny
mellow.gif

eponie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arp1 said:

review is no compare to actually playing it
otherwise no one is buying anything after watching zero punctuation's reviews.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree to not pirating. Just steal games the old fashioned way, stick them under your coat and walk out.

Seriously though, I only buy games which I have tested and approved, and my standards are pretty high.

Piracy FTW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...