Homebrew A Hypothetical Question

Hyoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the the DSi released in the past year or so and the iPlayer (along with the to be released SuperCard DSTwo) finally allowing us to run GBA games without the need of slot 2, the amount of potential of the DS has been increasing. When the get the DSi's code cracked, alongside the iPlayer it could potentially run with 32MB of RAM and clock at a total of 766MHz, just passing up the wii's Broadway processor.

With this major hardware upgrade, and in prime conditions, do you think it would be possible to successfully emulate a Nintendo 64 on a DS console? At that point, the DS would be four to five times more powerful that the N64. Also, unless I was misinformed, the PSP 1000 can emulate a good amount of commercial N64 games at near full speed with the same amount of RAM and less processing power. Obviously a homebrew app with that much work would take years to develop, but i'm speaking speculatively.
If I had to guess, I think it might be possible even if it would run ridiculously slow, but I don't know much about the software of the DS, so who knows.

(Also if you didn't notice, i'm new here. Hopefully my first post tuned out all right.)

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes we hate you
blank.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking entirely hypothetically, it probably is possible to emulate the N64 to at least a certain degree, yes. I wouldn't expect it to run on the DSi alone, so it would have to require some slot-1 cart like the iPlayer or DS:TWO, preferably something even more powerful. Even then, I wouldn't expect anything running at full speed. It would take an amazing amount of time by someone highly skilled, of which very few people exist in the DS homebrew scene.

So is it possible? Sure. At fullspeed? Probably not. Likely to ever happen? Not very.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
N64Temp said:
There would be "Button Trouble!" and I chucked my iPlayer in my printer's SD slot which has 32mb of RAM and it emulates the N64 perfectly so it should work.

Wait up there. There was no need for that. The guy had actually thought about what was needed before he asked, fair enough it really isn't possible but he thought about how much computing power is needed to emulate N64 although I do think his processor estimation is a bit too high. he didn't just go "Hai, the DS can run games that look as good as N64, is there an N64 emulator for it?"

eSPy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
Wait up there. There was no need for that. The guy had actually thought about what was needed before he asked, fair enough it really isn't possible but he thought about how much computing power is needed to emulate N64 although I do think his processor estimation is a bit too high. he didn't just go "Hai, the DS can run games that look as good as N64, is there an N64 emulator for it?"

i agree..he did some of the research. and this topic actually involves some kinda discussion

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
N64Temp said:
There would be "Button Trouble!" and I chucked my iPlayer in my printer's SD slot which has 32mb of RAM and it emulates the N64 perfectly so it should work.

I was just joking, sure we may have a goodish processor but what about the RAM and the button mapping?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
N64Temp said:
I was just joking, sure we may have a goodish processor but what about the RAM and the button mapping?

32mb RAM, my PSP can run N64 emulation ok but it is an entirely different memory access so I dunno its most likely as the previous posters have said: Possible? Yes but not at full speed Probable? Not a chance in hell

I was really just annoyed that you seemed to be mocking him.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64Temp said:

I love you.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
N64Temp said:

I love you.
WTF?
wub.gif
Anyway I know the PSP can emulate an N64 but I could only get M64 working on it at a speed I want and that was a while ago.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
N64Temp said:
Jamstruth said:
N64Temp said:
here's a thought - emulate some of the buttons on the touch screen - & if you use it on a DSi XL then the buttons should be big enough for people like me with big thumbs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol