A few very specific questions regarding ban risks

MateoGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I want to finally hack my Nintendo Switch, I have been putting it off for a long time due to ban concerns, I have several thousand hours amassed on games such as Splatoon, Smash, SMM, etc. (including in their respective online modes, of course), and I definitely wouldn’t like to lose access to them due to hacking my console, so I want to be extra careful before I do it. It also feels like now is a good time to hack it- now that the hacking scene is more well established and there's more information of what Nintendo doesn't like you doing on your Switch.
I’m aware of the process and I have my RCM jig/Hekate/Atmosphere files ready to be installed. I also have experience using emuNANDs (and/or knowing how they work) from prior consoles like Wii (Sneek) and Wii U (redNAND). So I’m also confident that using a sandboxed emuNAND setup is the way to go in order to avoid ban risks. I’m also aware 90dns DNS redirection and will certainly use that as well.

I just have a few questions regarding what can I do on my emuNAND, and if it’s safe to do without any ban risk:

First off, I to mention I want to use emuNAND completely offline, with all internet connections deleted before I start the hacking process and install anything I want via USB. Once I’m done, I’ll create the connections back again on sysNAND and use it and only it to connect online.
  • What I mentioned will keep me safe right? Also, I like using my LAN Adapter on my Switch so when should I plug/unplug it to be able to do what I mentioned that way too?
  • If I install all kinds of NSP files (both legit and otherwise, and homebrew), there’ll be no problem if I only do so only when using an offline emuNAND, right?
  • Can I copy saves from sysNAND to emuNAND and use them on emuNAND only (to do stuff like apply to them like edits/cheats on emuNAND only), while the original sysNAND ones remain completely unmodified?
  • By doing all stuff I mentioned before, my sysNAND would remain safe in completely clean state and therefore I can keep using it as I always have with an internet connection and use it to browse the eShop, download/play games online, keep the Nintendo Account linked and use all NSO features like Save Data Cloud backups, correct?
That's all I wanted to ask, please answer only if you're completely sure, it may help other people with the same questions in the future. I appreciate your help, and thank you beforehand.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to finally hack my Nintendo Switch, I have been putting it off for a long time due to ban concerns, I have several thousand hours amassed on games such as Splatoon, Smash, SMM, etc. (including in their respective online modes, of course), and I definitely wouldn’t like to lose access to them due to hacking my console, so I want to be extra careful before I do it. It also feels like now is a good time to hack it- now that the hacking scene is more well established and there's more information of what Nintendo doesn't like you doing on your Switch.
I’m aware of the process and I have my RCM jig/Hekate/Atmosphere files ready to be installed. I also have experience using emuNANDs (and/or knowing how they work) from prior consoles like Wii (Sneek) and Wii U (redNAND). So I’m also confident that using a sandboxed emuNAND setup is the way to go in order to avoid ban risks. I’m also aware 90dns DNS redirection and will certainly use that as well.

I just have a few questions regarding what can I do on my emuNAND, and if it’s safe to do without any ban risk:

First off, I to mention I want to use emuNAND completely offline, with all internet connections deleted before I start the hacking process and install anything I want via USB. Once I’m done, I’ll create the connections back again on sysNAND and use it and only it to connect online.
  • What I mentioned will keep me safe right? Also, I like using my LAN Adapter on my Switch so when should I plug/unplug it to be able to do what I mentioned that way too?
  • If I install all kinds of NSP files (both legit and otherwise, and homebrew), there’ll be no problem if I only do so only when using an offline emuNAND, right?
  • Can I copy saves from sysNAND to emuNAND and use them on emuNAND only (to do stuff like apply to them like edits/cheats on emuNAND only), while the original sysNAND ones remain completely unmodified?
  • By doing all stuff I mentioned before, my sysNAND would remain safe in completely clean state and therefore I can keep using it as I always have with an internet connection and use it to browse the eShop, download/play games online, keep the Nintendo Account linked and use all NSO features like Save Data Cloud backups, correct?
That's all I wanted to ask, please answer only if you're completely sure, it may help other people with the same questions in the future. I appreciate your help, and thank you beforehand.
Bans are pretty random, but yes that is what most people trying to avoid them do. It should be enough, but the only way to be certain is doing it on another console and keeping that one completely clean. Obviously not very ideal, but only way to be 100% sure of no bans. Just make sure you're prepared to actually get banned in the event it happens. You always run the risk, even with all these measures. Incognito is also another possible thing to use.

Anyway for your questions about it.

1. Probably, but no way to be 100% sure. As long as the 90DNS settings are applied before doing any sort of modding, you can plug it in. You can apply it from the SysNAND before creating the EmuNand to be sure, then return the SysNAND's setting to normal after creating it.
2. Probably will be fine.
3. Your EmuNAND will be a 1 to 1 copy of the current state of your SysNAND when you create it, so yes saves will copy over but at that point are seperate save files for each different NAND.
4. Provided Nintendo doesn't detect anything and ban you, yes. But what you mentioned is basically all you can do to avoid it.

Reactions: MateoGBA

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply just have emuMMC for games you install through homebrew like tinfoil or dbi while you keep sysMMC for your legit downloaded games from the eshop only. If you're gonna keep your emuMMC offline but still wanna use the internet, I do not recommend 90DNS. Use something like incognito to blank the prodinfo. This is a more permanent solution to making sure you dont ever connect online. Mistakes happen and people do it often. Running CFW is safe online. Running some mods that change value online will ban you while cosmetic mods dont ban you. 1st party games from Nintendo do have anti-cheat like Splatoon and Smash bros. Just be careful which mods you install. Installing NSP will flag the switch the next time you connect to Nintendo servers. Using homebrew to backup and restore saves are safe at a certain point. Dont use it to save scum online ranking like Splatoon 2 and Smash bros. Make sure the save is used for one account. Some games like pokemon legend arceus give error if the server detect the save was used on multiple accounts. Just be smart about what you do and dont do dumb things. I use sys-clk to overclock the switch and missioncontrol to play with a dual sense online for best experience and havent been banned, Custom themes as well installed for that extra customization. All this done and the switch still isnt banned

MateoGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bans are pretty random, but yes that is what most people trying to avoid them do. It should be enough, but the only way to be certain is doing it on another console and keeping that one completely clean. Obviously not very ideal, but only way to be 100% sure of no bans. Just make sure you're prepared to actually get banned in the event it happens. You always run the risk, even with all these measures. Incognito is also another possible thing to use.

1. Probably, but no way to be 100% sure. As long as the 90DNS settings are applied before doing any sort of modding, you can plug it in. You can apply it from the SysNAND before creating the EmuNand to be sure, then return the SysNAND's setting to normal after creating it.
3. Your EmuNAND will be a 1 to 1 copy of the current state of your SysNAND when you create it, so yes saves will copy over but at that point are seperate save files for each different NAND.
4. Provided Nintendo doesn't detect anything and ban you, yes. But what you mentioned is basically all you can do to avoid it.

Yeah, I know there's no way to 100% prevent bans, but as you know Nintendo really steeped up their game this generation and they're taking no chances with the Switch, and they can and will ban you if you are just a little bit careless so I also don't want to take any chances and want to be really careful before hacking my Switch so that I'm 99% safe while being able to do what I mentioned I wanted to do.
And I have thought about getting another Switch too actually, and system transfer stuff to that one while hacking the original, but as you said that basically means buying another Switch which isn't exactly ideal nor cheap.

Anyway, Cool thanks, good to to know about the saves. I was hoping that would be the case but I was also wondering if those would get transferred since I haven't anyone mention the saves also get transferred when making the emuNAND.
Simply just have emuMMC for games you install through homebrew like tinfoil or dbi while you keep sysMMC for your legit downloaded games from the eshop only. If you're gonna keep your emuMMC offline but still wanna use the internet, I do not recommend 90DNS. Use something like incognito to blank the prodinfo. This is a more permanent solution to making sure you dont ever connect online. Mistakes happen and people do it often. Running CFW is safe online. Running some mods that change value online will ban you while cosmetic mods dont ban you. 1st party games from Nintendo do have anti-cheat like Splatoon and Smash bros. Just be careful which mods you install. Installing NSP will flag the switch the next time you connect to Nintendo servers. Using homebrew to backup and restore saves are safe at a certain point. Dont use it to save scum online ranking like Splatoon 2 and Smash bros. Make sure the save is used for one account. Some games like pokemon legend arceus give error if the server detect the save was used on multiple accounts. Just be smart about what you do and dont do dumb things. I use sys-clk to overclock the switch and missioncontrol to play with a dual sense online for best experience and havent been banned, Custom themes as well installed for that extra customization. All this done and the switch still isnt banned
Would using incognito only affect the emuNAND or the sysNAND as well? As I mentioned before, I want to keep the emuNAND offline but just that, I still want to use the sysNAND online every now and then.
And yeah, I know about the anti cheat features in 1st party Nintendo games, and how cosmetic mods haven't been banned yet, but I don't want to take any chances so I just want to use mods/cheats/editors/everything else offline in emuNAND mode and only use my personal saves.

Also regarding the NSPs, even though it gets flagged, that should only apply to the emuNAND, correct?, the sysNAND would remain completely clean and it still should be fine and I can keep using it for all online stuff I mentioned as long as I just only install them on the emuNAND and never ever connect that one online, right?

Thank you both for answering.

Last edited by MateoGBA,
Reactions: Tomato123

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have the option to choose emuMMC or sysMMC. I use NxNandManager to blank the prodinfo for my emuMMC. The way you do it is you mount your emuMMC using hekate via usb to the PC instead of having to backup the emuMMC

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I know there's no way to 100% prevent bans, but as you know Nintendo really steeped up their game this generation and they're taking no chances with the Switch, and they can and will ban you if you are just a little bit careless so I also don't want to take any chances and want to be really careful before hacking my Switch so that I'm 99% safe while being able to do what I mentioned I wanted to do.
And I have thought about getting another Switch too actually, and system transfer stuff to that one while hacking the original, but as you said that basically means buying another Switch which isn't exactly ideal nor cheap.

Anyway, Cool thanks, good to to know about the saves. I was hoping that would be the case but I was also wondering if those would get transferred since I haven't anyone mention the saves also get transferred when making the emuNAND.

Would using incognito only affect the emuNAND or the sysNAND as well? As I mentioned before, I want to keep the emuNAND offline but just that, I still want to use the sysNAND online every now and then.
And yeah, I know about the anti cheat features in 1st party Nintendo games, and how cosmetic mods haven't been banned yet, but I don't want to take any chances so I just want to use mods/cheats/editors/everything else offline in emuNAND mode and only use my personal saves.

Also regarding the NSPs, even though it gets flagged, that should only apply to the emuNAND, correct?, the sysNAND would remain completely clean and it still should be fine and I can keep using it for all online stuff I mentioned as long as I just only install them on the emuNAND and never ever connect that one online, right?

Thank you both for answering.
Incognito only affects the NAND it is used on. Nsps are fairly safe by using all the precautions you're planning on using, but Nintendo isn't detecting two different consoles. It would see the SysNAND and EmuNAND as the same console as they both share the same certificates/serial numbers. Incognito tries to hide this info by basically just blanking it out.

MateoGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, cool thanks. Then I'm definitely wiping the prodinfo from the emuNAND as soon as I make it using NxNandManager so that they don't detect the console specific info as an extra layer of precaution just in case, better be safe than sorry. Thank you both once again for the useful info. If you or anyone else has anything else to add I would really appreciate it as well.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

BtwIf the country is running DNS poisoning thru the isp, 90dns wont work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.