A few questions before i buy.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Translucentbill, Jun 12, 2010.

Jun 12, 2010
  1. Translucentbill
    OP

Member Translucentbill GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've been thinking on buying a PSP 3000 from the local game shop or possibly gamestop.com/amazon/etc.
    The reason i'm thinking on getting a 3000 is because i want a NEW one, not one thats all scratched up and crap.
    What i need to know is, if i buy one brand new from gamestop or wherever is it going to have the latest firmware? is there a downgrade for the newest firmware?
    I've heard the PSP 3000 is now hackable, this is true right? I am really interested in playing my old PS1 backups on it and of course backing up 'my UMD's' =P

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Only partially hackable, and not tot he point where you could play your back-ups on a brand new one. Some of the stores around here still have new 2ks... Might try looking for that.

3. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Hmm, i may have to check in gamestop then, my buddy has an original psp 1000 from the original release, but its scratched to FUCK and he wants $70 for it >_> if i HAVE to buy it i will but i don't want to spend $70 on a PSP i can barely see whats on screen =P!

4. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    It's most likely gonna come with the latest firmware. Haven't heard of any way to downgrade yet, sadly.

5. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Im thinking i might just buy the PSP 1000 from my buddy and replace the screen, what would you rate the difficulty of that as? =P

6. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    PSP 1k is fully hackable, PSP 2k can be fully/partially hackable, depending on the motherboard, and the 3k is partially hackable. Partially hackable means that, if you turn off the PSP(or if it randomly turns off after freezing, like mine), you have to redo it, and hack it again. Best you get a 1000, just to be safe. If you are brave, than get a 2000, like I did, and do a little research on it, find out if it's fully hackable or not. Just make sure that, if it's not hackable, you can exchange it fora different one [​IMG].

7. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    Don't get your friend's PSP. I went to Gamestop, and got my 2000 there, made sure it was in good condition, and took it. It was practically in pristine condition, too. Be aware that if you are replacing the screen, that you have to be extremely careful , one wrong move could be the end of it.

8. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    I watched a screen replacement and from what i've seen the scratches arent actually on the LCD but a piece of plastic attached to the faceplate, if this is correct can i just get a new faceplate and be fine? =P

9. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The the faceplate and screen are very easy to replace but you shouldn't need a new screen, just a new faceplate.

10. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
  11. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Make your own, don't buy crap from dealextreme, good god. Horrible company.

Anyway, have you bothered to read any of the topics relating to your question.

There are literally dozens with your same questions. Also, they are VERY useful.

Wynd

12. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How do you suggest that he make his own faceplate?

13. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    I was thinking the same thing [​IMG] why go through the trouble of making my own when i can get one for $5-$10?

14. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    DealExtreme is okay for PSP faceplates. I got one and it's 99% the same as an official one. It took a long time on shipping, though.

However, NEVER buy memory / flash products from them, and anything that's irresponsibly cheap. It's almost guaranteed to be a fake / knockoff / non-working product.