A-Data/Kingston Micro SDHC Questions

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by BWizZ, Mar 21, 2009.

Mar 21, 2009
  1. BWizZ
    OP

Newcomer BWizZ Member

United States
    So I've had my SCDS1 for a good month or so now, and originally went with a 8gb class 4 kingston japan figuring it would run flawless just because its kingston, but realize now that I need a faster card because of slow FPS at certain points in game which is really annoying, and the occasional freezing not to mention gui sluggishness.

Ive been reading that A-Data 4/8GB class 6 and 1-2GB Kingstons are the best when it comes to random access times. Im wondering if there is a big speed difference between say a 4gb adata and a 1-2gb kingston?

Also would a 4gb A-Data be faster than an 8gb, both class 6? Or do both of these have the same performance?

2. HokageNaruto

Member HokageNaruto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are you sure ur kingston is from japan? Because I have that exact same one and I haven't had any lag or freezing in any games ive played yet.

3. BWizZ
    OP

Newcomer BWizZ Member

United States
    It says Japan right on the chip...and its only certain games like gta:cw and castlevania series and a few others that have slowdowns in-game...and some games freeze like gta if it tries autosaving when i have the sd speed manually set too high...it autodetects my chip at 20 which games run fine at with no freezes, but gameplay tends to be a little choppy. I havent been able to run games properly above 23 manual speed.

4. HokageNaruto

United States
    That's really weird. I set mine to 32 manual speed and it plays everything perfectly.
    I'm sorry, I dunno how to help u lol

5. BWizZ
    OP

Newcomer BWizZ Member

United States
    I reformatted my kingston with the panasonic formatter, instead of autodetecting 20 its back to auto detecting 24 like when i first got it...do speeds decrease on chips if you have a ton of stuff on them? I only had like 400 some odd MB left for free space before formatting, I also tried setting the speed to 32 after I reformatted and it would not load gta:cw just 2 white screens...games still have noticeable slowdowns but not as bad, but still i want my shit to run like silk [​IMG] I have an A-data 8gb class 6 chip on the way, hopefully it works good.

6. HokageNaruto

United States
    I only have about 800mb left on my 8gb kingston class 4 japan, so I don't think using up a lot of memory slows down the card. I dunno how reliable A-data cards are, but if they are, a class 6 will probably be amazing lol

7. BWizZ
    OP

Newcomer BWizZ Member

United States
    Well I got my 8gig class 4 kingston off amazon, i got the kingston 8gb mobility kit, maybe that has something to do with it? blows my mind how you can set to 32 speed with the same chip and i cant go above 24...im hoping the adata chip is worth it, some test thing i read shows an 8gb adata with 1.6ms random access but the 4gig has .7 which i found out after ordering, not sure which class though... just hoping the 8gig adata runs flawless for me like it does for some people..if not ill have to get a 4gig adata or 1gig kingston...cant even play Mortal Kombat DS online without it getting all choppy on certain stages [​IMG]