Hacking 60hz in VC Games (PAL Wii)

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So.. is there a way? And if not do you think that someone eventually will find a solution?

I have a PAL Wii (obviously) and I wish that I could play some games in 60hz instead of 50.
I tried to patch Wave Race 64 (NTSC) and made it region free but it ran in 50hz (forced 50 hz I guess).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologise if there's a similar topic but I didn't find anything after a quick search.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So can we figure somehow which PAL roms are 60 hz and which are 50 hz?
I'd like to play games such as Wave Race 64 and Mario Kart 64 in full 60hz, the original PAL VC roms are almost unplayable nowadays when compared to their NTSC counterparts.

Edit: Found this just now: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=855...t&p=1133511

So we need PAL60 games or sth in order to inject the NTSC roms with them?

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to dump 60Hz N64 games on a PAL Wii, use the Sin and Punishment PAL Wad. That has a very big rom which will allow to dump any US/JP N640 rom.
smile.gif

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks, that's what I also figured that I should do - hope that it will work.
As for SNES roms it seems that there isn't a similar solution (due to Picross's very small file size).

Anyway I' ll check it when I have the time and let you know if it worked.
I am wondering if someone tried something similiar before..

flobo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What's strange is that a converted mario 64 NTSC does run in 60 hz on a pal wii.
Smash bros NTSC injected into NTSC S&P runs at 60 hz too.

On the other hand, converted ntsc mario kart 64 and starfox 64 run at 50hz. It makes no sense te me.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
*uses phoenix down on thread*

So... did we find a solution to this problem after all this time?
The only think I thought is using AnyRegion Changer in order to make my Wii from PAL to NTSC-US and then I would play every VC game @ 60 hz.
Im wondering if there's another way around this one though, but I want something that would always work because as flobo mentioned above, injecting doesn't always work (hey mate, it makes no sense to me too).

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
urobolus said:
*uses phoenix down on thread*

So... did we find a solution to this problem after all this time?
The only think I thought is using AnyRegion Changer in order to make my Wii from PAL to NTSC-US and then I would play every VC game @ 60 hz.

The only problem with changing your Wii's TV setting from PAL to NTSC is all most of your PAL VC Downloads won't display anything (SNES and NES games) or run to fast (Mega Drive and Master System, the ones that have been PAL optimised). Turbo Graphix's games run fine however. N64 PAL Games might work but as they have been PAL optimised, they might run to fast.

Most PAL WiiWare games should run although your get the odd one or two that such as Star Soldier didn't load due to having no NTSC option. Also none of the Gamecube PAL games will display but US/JP ones display fine.

But you can easily run any of the Japanese and American VC Games and you can easily change the Shop Channel Number using AnyRegion Changer to download Japan or US VC games and use the same pay method (in my case Master Card paying in £) or Wii Points to pay for them. Or just find the US/JP Wad to replace the PAL version.

Also, make sure you use StarFall to make all channels region free (it does require you to install a modified ISO Wad) otherwise the channels won't boot and a message will tell you this (note you must be on Wii System Update 3.E for it to work). If you don't want to install the ISO Wad or are using the latest Wii Update, you will ever have to download the US/JP Wad and region free it or dump the wad yourself and region free it.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
QUOTE said:
he only problem with changing your Wii's TV setting from PAL to NTSC is all most of your PAL VC Downloads won't display anything (SNES and NES games) or run to fast (Mega Drive and Master System, the ones that have been PAL optimised). Turbo Graphix's games run fine however. N64 PAL Games might work but as they have been PAL optimised, they might run to fast.

Well, actually I've never purchased a VC game.. I just keep installing WADs etc, so if I convert my Wii to an NTSC mode, then I would just find the corresponding games in NTSC format. Well it's not THAT much important but i would love to play some games like Wave Race 64, F-Zero X etc, the way they are meant to be played.

QUOTE said:
Most PAL WiiWare games should run although your get the odd one or two that such as Star Soldier didn't load due to having no NTSC option. Also none of the Gamecube PAL games will display but US/JP ones display fine.

Same thing goes here, I can just download the NTSC WiiWare games.
As for GC games.. well that's a problem because I have like 30 PAL games and only 1 NTSC.
QUOTE said:
But you can easily run any of the Japanese and American VC Games and you can easily change the Shop Channel Number using AnyRegion Changer to download Japan or US VC games and use the same pay method (in my case Master Card paying in £) or Wii Points to pay for them. Or just find the US/JP Wad to replace the PAL version.

As far I am concerned, running an NTSC VC game on a PAL system will force it to run at 50 hz. I downloaded Wave Race (NTSC) and made it region free with freethewads but the video mode changed from 60 to 50hz.

Also, make sure you use StarFall to make all channels region free (it does require you to install a modified ISO Wad) otherwise the channels won't boot and a message will tell you this (note you must be on Wii System Update 3.E for it to work). If you don't want to install the ISO Wad or are using the latest Wii Update, you will ever have to download the US/JP Wad and region free it or dump the wad yourself and region free it

Currently I am using StarFall and it works fine with imported Wii/GC games.
It also makes the VC region free, but 60 hz games are still forced to run in 50hz mode.

As you see it's all about those 60 damn hertz and not about just playing a NTSC rom file.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
if u install NTSC VC games and use AnyRegionChanger to change the video mode to NTSC they will run in 60hz.

thats the only success i've had (apart from pal releases originally designed for 60hz)

masud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OSW said:
if u install NTSC VC games and use AnyRegionChanger to change the video mode to NTSC they will run in 60hz.

thats the only success i've had (apart from pal releases originally designed for 60hz)

If you change the video mode to ntsc what happens with the pal wads? Will they still work?

Can you explain me the steps to change the video mode to NTSC? Is it risky? Will I be able to go back to PAL later?

Thanks in advance!

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OSW i just isntalled Wave Race 64 (NTSC) on my PAL Wii and then i used AnyRegionChanger. The only option I used Video Mode (I changed it from PAL to NTSC).
Then I tried to play WR64 but it played at 50hz unfortunately.

Do I have to change anything else?

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I tried a liitle to get zelda N64 to rum at 60hz on my PAL wii, but even the NTSC wad seems to be forced into 50hz. The only way i could see to fix it was with anyregion patcher and change video mode to ntsc. (but then PAL VC are broken, so didnt make much sense top keep in ntsc)

I could video patch the 1.app and get the game to run at 60hz, but it would give me a black screen.

BTW - For SNES injects to run at 60hz there is no worries using Mario Picross as a host wad. I used Picross for all my PAL injects, you just need to manually 'inject' (pack) the rom using your favorite u8tools
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
OSW i just isntalled Wave Race 64 (NTSC) on my PAL Wii and then i used AnyRegionChanger. The only option I used Video Mode (I changed it from PAL to NTSC).

Did you SAVE SETTINGS in anyregion changer after you changed video mode to NTSC?

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yup I saved my settings...
Still wondering what might have gone wrong...
Does this method work with every game 100%?

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
urobolus, go and install a Sega Genesis Wad (US). Now play the game.

If you see black boarders on the top and bottom screen and the game is running slow, you Wii is still set to PAL mode and you have not changed the TV Setting using AnyRegionChanger.

If you see no boarders and the game is running full speed, your Wii has been set to NTSC.

As long as your Wii is set to NTSC, all the US and JPN (plus some PAL) Virtual Console and Wii Ware games will run in NTSC in 60Hz.
smile.gif

If your Wii is set to PAL, it seems some N64 Games will run in PAL 60 (Super Mario 64) while others are forced to run in PAL 50 (Star Fox 64). Changing it to NTSC will fix that problem.
smile.gif

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
With a Genesis rom that I tried everything was ok.
So I didn't do something wrong when I tried to play NTSC Wave Race in 60 hz mode, it's just that Wave Race was forced to run in PAL50 for some reason that I cant explain.
Why could this have happened?

masud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
urobolus said:

There are three settings you can change:

VIDEO - if you set it to ntsc some vc games will still run at 50hz because they look at the GAME setting
GAME - if you set it to USA some vc games will still run at 50hz because they look at the AREA setting
AREA - if you set it to USA you have a USA NTSC console so every vc game will run as intended...

This is my guessing, can someone confirm this for me?

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes Radioshadow it was the US version. I even disabled the region free settings from Starfall and it didnt work, so yes it wasn't a PAL release for sure.

Masud so you say that I have to do more than changing the video setting?
I' ll try and I' ll tell you if anything changes.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
The N64 Wads must be looking at something else if some still run in 50Hz.

Genesis and Master System run in 60Hz or 50Hz depending on if the Video setting is NTSC or PAL.

NES and SNES run what ever TV setting is set in the Channel (in detail, the 01.app).

I'm going to have a look at the Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 (both US version) and see what's going on. It could be it's basing it on the Region of the Wii. If that's the case, just simply change the PAL setting to NTSC in the necessary 64 wad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...