5.00 m33-6 or GEN-B2 (/D)

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Fyga, Oct 21, 2009.

Oct 21, 2009

5.00 m33-6 or GEN-B2 (/D) by Fyga at 7:29 AM (2,482 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Fyga
    OP

Newcomer Fyga Advanced Member

United States
    Alright, so as much as I like reading all these m33 vs. GEN posts (I honestly do), it's really scatter-shot'd topics in the last 2 weeks when it didn't need to.
    I haven't been into PSP hacking long, sure DS work (I don't dub it hacking) for 2 years now but just recently tried PSP. As far as I care, m33 & GEN are both the same (talking B2 as of this post).

I'd just like one topic I can go to and read everything, clear & concise. I'd compile all the posts in the last 2 weeks if they weren't so damn unorganized/spread out.
    And before you tell me Google, search engines are terrible in this particular topic because all I get--even from the best of sites--are fanboy sentence fragments, not even whole sentences [​IMG] haha.

I'd like to hear, from PSP aficionados/vets/users, what you have to say about the benefits of m33 or GEN. Take one, take both, refute one, refute both, sure.
    Even 1 sentence is cool, give me something to read
    [​IMG] I'm uneducated on this.

From my couple months experience, I never found m33 any less good than GEN. I've also stopped checking out PSN as I've gone back to play my bro's library shelf of games. The shifting reason I ended up jumping to B2 was because I wanted to try Senjou no Kizuna Portable, the 1st person shooter Gundam that was 5.05 OFW & no one bothered w/ a patch since we had GEN(-A at the time). Jump was seamless, as my plugins & N64/SNES emulators work, & I converted my favorite m33 CTF. I honestly still would be on m33 if it weren't for that game, but even though I'm on B2 I don't see any difference. And by the way, I jumped after Game Decrypter v4 (used it & got games working too), further making the jump less needed if not for that 5.05 FW game. So that's the reason I'm GEN.

So start w/ stories; why are you m33 users still m33? Or GEN now GEN? Why not the other? I'm encouraging fanboy speeches/rants because at least it's on-topic here.

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Well with game decrypter I can run pretty much every game that I play. So m33 - GEN isn't really needed for me and my favorite theme is on m33 and yes I'm too lazy to convert it.

3. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Wait you have to convert themes? Werid... my Earthbound theme worked right off the bat

4. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Unless you have UMDs of 5.55/6.00 games and want to run them without ripping. Or/And is too lazy to decrypt your games, use 5.00M33-6.

Since decrypter v4 was released and PSN blocked on 5.50GEN, 5.00 is better because its improved mem stick readings (and 1.50 addon, if you have a PSP Phat).

5. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    I can go back to 5.00 m33-6 with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher right?

6. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    amazing chart from Deathman2k...to give an insite on whats compatable
    [​IMG]

7. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Yes.

8. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it's be amazing if I was able to read it @@ but for some reason I can't expand the picture.

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    TC personally i'd stick with what you have if i were you....i'd always advise minimising unecessary flashing if at all possible. Unless you have a specific reason that you want 5.00M33-6 over 5.50 GEN B-2 you're not really achieving very much if you're planning on an update later to a GEN firmware as you need an earlier GEN for the addon (and therefore are flashing again and again).

10. Dueler

Member Dueler GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If you want to expand it just right click, copy image url and paste it into a new window.

Gen B sure does have alot better compatability but what do you expect from a 5.50 based firmware.

The only true reasons i see for sticking to 5.00 M33 is either

A: Memory stick speed boost.
    Or
    B: Stability, iirc apparently Gen has some issues with bricking/corrupting randomly or something.

Either way im on 5.50 Gen-B because it was the most convenient, i used there simple 1 step install and bam i was up to the latest firmware.

I dont remember it ever being that easy with M33, infact i remember it taking step upon step.
    But then again that might have improved since i stopped looking in the scene.

Either way eventually GEN will either fix there bugs and become the one stop firmware or Alex will come back with a new firmware and well all be fighting over M33 Vs GEN Again.

And the same two things will be in dispute.

Stability and Speed.

11. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    revision D is out

12. Fyga
    OP

Newcomer Fyga Advanced Member

United States
    Mhm I would definitely agree readers should keep that in mind; I mean I jumped only for a 5.05 game that I couldn't even understand

I mostly wanted all these m33/GEN war posts to be in one place instead of spanning over so many topics. Like I said, I do enjoy reading them (maybe others); some of these posts have already told a lot more than multiple Google Boolean searches

13. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I prefer GEN (D).
    Just because if the new games are going to be like FMA, it will work on GEN D.

14. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    You know, you CAN get games that are patched for m33-6 (not going to say where).

I can play Disgaea Dark Hero Days on my m33-6 perfectly fine, as well as Tales of VS.

15. ohoni

Newcomer ohoni Advanced Member

United States
    That does work for some games, but not all. Hitman Reborn and FMA either don't work, or in the latter case require special hoop jumping involving the cheat program. That's after the patching tool.

16. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, lesse...

I started with the PSP at v1.0 firmware. Yep, that's right, version ONE. I remember those days. Just put some homebrew on the card and run it. No hacking whatsoever required [​IMG] Then eventually the kxploit in v1.50 (for USA units) and all was good for a little while there. Then the picture overflow exploit that got you back to v1.50 from higher firmwares.

Anyway, this gives you an idea of just how LONG I have been in this scene. I have been using M33 firmwares since the first release....all the way up to the last release of 5.00m33-6. I left the system on that firmware and moved on to other en devours (ie: the Wii hacking scene) but never lost my love for the PSP and all it was and still is.

I read the talk of Gen firmwares on and off, but finally decided to dust off my trusty handheld and give it a whirl. Why not. If you have all of the necessary tools to flash back (pandora, magic stick, valid NAND dump) there is nothing you can do wrong. You can go and check out a new firmware and flash back to the previous should it suck. SO, I gave it a try.

I started with Gen-B2 and it was just fine. Everything worked and it got me from 5.00 to 5.50. Big whoop. It didn't make much of a difference in game compatibility, since most of the isos I have tested recently needed 5.55+ to run. But, the firmware seemed solid so I left it on and tested it pretty vigorously. No issues at all.

Then, the decrypter came out and allowed me to finally play some of the games I could not have previously. But, you have to go through all of that decrypting nonsense. Unpack the eboot on the PC, run it through an app on the PSP, repack it on the PC, copy it back to the PSP. For a few dozen games I already had obtained. Screw that. I did it to one or two...but what a pain in the ass...really. Not only that, but I just feel "dirty" modifying clean scene releases.

Then Gen-C (and now Gen-D) has arrived with on the fly decryption. Thank GOD! Needless to say, I installed and will never look back. It works with the plethora of emulators I have obtained over the years (heck, even HuE...the TG16 emulator...works just fine back from 2005) not to mention ALL of the games and UMD video isos I have thrown at it work just great. I can play all of my old games and movies as well as the newest titles...and it all works seamlessly as it did back when M33 was the reigning champ (and games did not require a higher firmware)

So, can *I* personally recommend it? Hell yes. Three times over. There is absolutely NO reason to hang on to the past. I have always been grateful for what Dax brought to the table, but those times have unfortunately passed. I am now continuing my gratitude to the Gen Team for keeping up with the times and allowing my PSP to breath a little bit longer [​IMG]

17. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You're joking right? Adding 3 or 4 lines of plain text to a file is hardly hoop jumping!

18. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently using a Slim 2001 with M5.00-33-6 and will be buying another PSP (cheap) to experiment with the newer firmware. I don't want to risk messing up my current machine if I do something wrong. Hopefully it'll go smoothly for me.