Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have an original R4 flashcard for my DS lite, more for playing homebrew than anything, but I am unsure of how to use my 4GB SDHC with it. I have so many apps and backups that I keep running out of room with my 2GB card. Before anyone sas to backup my data on my computer and copy it over when i want to use it, I would prefer to have multiple SD cards to store my data on, because i don't have a computer with me everywhere I go. I also don't want to spend extra cash on a R4SDHC flashcard. I know SDHC doesn't usually work with the original R4! I'm trying to find a way to make it work! This thread is specifically for helping me and anyone else with this problem find a solution. Anyone who can probably code custom firmware would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is not that is "usually doesn't work", it never works. This is a hardware limitation.

On top of that original R4 CANNOT be flashed / updated, so no custom firmware can fix this.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
It is not that is "usually doesn't work", it never works. This is a hardware limitation.

On top of that original R4 CANNOT be flashed / updated, so no custom firmware can fix this.

What do you mean by "can't be updated"? There was a new update for WoodR4 that works perfectly on my R4.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy a cheap flashcart and use a large capacity microSD card, instead of buying a bunch of 2GB cards for your R4. Then you only need to carry two item, and the extra flashcart will probably be easier to keep track of opposed to multiple microSD cards.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "can't be updated"? There was a new update for WoodR4 that works perfectly on my R4.
WoodR4 is NOT a firmware, it is a kernel. Think of it as an operating system. :teach:

A lot of people using the term firmware and kernel interchangeably even though it is not the same.

Without going through technical detail, original R4 will NEVER support SDHC, period. Buy R4i Gold, which costs no more than $20 and runs a variant of WoodR4.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DS flashcarts didn't need an updatable firmware. The kernel updates were enough to get games working. The DSi added updatable firmwares to the consoles, which resulted in updatable carts. As the original R4 DS was made for the DS in mind, it doesn't have updatable firmware. Thus the cart will never received an update of sorts to get SDHC working.

In other words, either buy a new flashcart or buy more SD cards. (SD cards were made with 4 GB storage, but those are quite rare since the standard got updated to SDHC at the time)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too