45 Minutes With Miyamoto

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
<a href="http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/110/1104367p1.html" target="_blank">http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/110/1104367p1.html</a>

<b><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IGN AU: How long has the 3DS been in development? What's the process behind the scenes?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: Basically the way it works is – once we've finalised the design for a new hardware system and we've launched the hardware system, the hardware teams immediately begin research on what the next system will be. So it's been – I don't know how long – I guess about six years since we launched Nintendo DS, so they've been researching and experimenting with various things over the last six years, but it really finally started to take this shape that we see now about three years ago.
<b>
IGN AU: Nintendo has experimented with 3D systems in the past. Why is the time now ripe for this?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, there were kind of two things that led to it. First of all, the LCD screen technology has really advanced quite a bit over the last few years, and that played a big part in it. The other is obviously – as you pointed out – we've experimented with 3D a lot over the years, and in all the experiments that we did, with the sole exception of the Virtual Boy, everything else that we worked on was really 3D as a peripheral or an accessory to an existing hardware system. And what's unique about a portable gaming device is that because it's both a gaming system and a monitor, both together in one device, there is no accessory. What that means is everybody who purchases the device is able to experience the 3D effect, so it was kind of this combination of us focusing in on the idea of a portable device as a 3D device, and the fact that the LCD screen technology had advanced to a point where it was finally going to be possible to do it.
<b>
IGN AU: The DS gave developers a set of tools to work with – dual screen, touch screen, microphone and so on, that forced them to come up with new ideas and give us new experiences. The 3DS adds in a three dimensional display, obviously, as well as gyroscopic control, infrared etc., do you think this will lead to even newer concepts?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well yeah, of course the Nintendo DS interface was very fresh when we first introduced it, and it led to a lot of different ideas working their way into videogames, including something as diverse as basically taking book-like style control or viewpoints and implementing that into games. What's interesting about Nintendo 3DS is it does have additional input features, but it's also a system that's particularly suited to taking past gameplay experiences, or the more standard gameplay experience, and bringing it this new, fresh feel with the 3D screen. So I think what's interesting about it is we'll see both sides of that. We'll see the evolving of videogames as we've seen them up until now, and we'll also see things that take advantage of the new input.

The 3DS will breath new life into old games.

What's interesting with – particularly the gyro – is that obviously because of the 3D screen you have a particular sweet spot for where you can see the 3D effect, so most people would think that putting a gyro that would encourage people to tilt the device would ultimately just result in the 3D effect being lost, because you're tilting it away from you at a different angle, but what's interesting is that with the gyro you can hold the device in front of you, and do these lateral movements in space like this [moves hands together left and right] and the gyro can detect that, and I think that'll allow for some pretty interesting gameplay mechanics.
<b>
IGN AU: When the Wii was launched, the idea of Miis and avatars was very new, and we're already seeing Mii games on the 3DS, is there going to be a way to transition your Mii from the Wii to the 3DS, and is it important to have that a persistent Mii identity across both systems?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: We need to keep in mind how we evolve the Miis and how we think about compatibility with Miis between different systems, but that's something that we're definitely giving consideration to and want to continue to try to allow people to use their Miis on different Nintendo systems going forward.

<b>IGN AU: How straightforward is it for developers to incorporate 3D into their games? Obviously they'll be creatively inspired, but are the toolsets straightforward to use? How are they finding it?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: It's actually not that much work to take the visuals of a game and implement them in a way that allows them to be shown in 3D. A lot of companies have done that in other attempts up until now as well, so it's not that rare for companies to look at how they do that. It's not very difficult. And in terms of the libraries themselves we've obviously been working on a variety of different libraries and sharing those with developers. They've been welcoming that, and we've obviously seen some things here at the show taking advantage of it.

<b>IGN AU: Is there a concern, then, that many developers might take the lazy way out and simply port PS2, Wii games and just make them 3D to get them into the market quickly? And will that tarnish the 3DS' library?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: I think that, depending on the title, there are certain titles from the past that when accompanied with 3D visuals it really can change the feel of the gameplay, and so from that perspective I think that a lot of companies will be looking at what properties they have so that they may be able to take advantage of that, and even we're looking at that as well, in terms of games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D or Star Fox 64.
<b>
IGN AU: Those are great, we're more concerned about the quick rush-jobs.</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: I think we just have to rely on the integrity of the developers and the products that they're making. At the same time, we do think that there will be new ideas, particularly what we're finding is that with some of the lead developers at key publishing partners, people like Mr Kojima from Konami and Mr Inafune from Capcom. These are individuals who are themselves very excited about developing for the system and are talking about leading development with their main teams, so I do expect that there's going to be a lot of new content and new ideas coming out of them.

It's all about developer integrity. Still, it might not be a bad idea to bring the Nintendo Seal back...

<b>IGN AU: The 3DS' power seems to exceed that of the Wii in some ways graphically, and it also incorporates the gyroscopes and the motion control. In that way, it's almost like having a Wii in your hand. From a business standpoint, do you see it as a threat, or do you see it causing a tapering off of Wii sales inadvertently, by introducing this new handheld?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: We're not really worried about it, and primarily it's because the types of things, the types of play that you can do on a portable device is pretty different from the types of things you're able to do on a home console, and so it doesn't really concern us. I guess from a graphical standpoint it is true that the shaders that we've implemented into the Nintendo 3DS hardware, from a certain perspective, it can appear as if the graphics are stronger, but they're really a little bit more in balance I think. <b>

IGN AU: What are Nintendo's plans moving forwards for integrated online services, for making communicating with other players and sharing content online as easy as possible? Services like Xbox Live are fantastic. How will Nintendo bring users together?
</b>
Shigeru Miyamoto: We're looking at proactively adopting a lot of these technologies and applying them to gameplay, but one of the things that we always keep in mind is that as long as everyone's using the same technology, then everybody's essentially going to be providing the same type of experience, so we look at it more in terms of what can we do to provide that Nintendo flavour or magic to that community or connection experience. And one of the ways that we're looking at doing that, is the idea of really strengthening the tag mode functionality, and where we think that's kind of interesting is that it's going to allow the Nintendo 3DS as a device to exist in this realm, somewhere between a direct personal connection with individuals that you know, and this more virtual connection with people out on the network, through this ability to connect to people that you pass by on the street, and we think that there will be some unique ideas that come out of that, and that it will have a very unique Nintendo flavour to it.

<b>IGN AU: One of the biggest trends in modern gaming is putting tools in the hands of the users and letting them create things for themselves. Nintendo is obviously a part of this, with games like WarioWare D.I.Y., but how important will it be to the company moving forward?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: Personally for me I think that the ability to create games is perhaps one of the greatest forms of play that there is. My teams obviously have been working on things that incorporate that as well – Flipnote Studio is a good example of that too – so I'm sure that as we see these devices continue more and more to be connected by networks to one another that that will continue to be more important and we'll continue to look at implementing it where appropriate.

WarioWare D.I.Y. lets players create their own games, comics and more.

<b>IGN AU: The new Zelda combines sophisticated motion control with a very striking look. How did these two elements come about?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: One thing that the game itself really represents is that up until now people have had this kind of impression that games that use motion control are casual games, and games that use button controls are more core games, and I feel like with this particular game we've really managed to prove that you can create a very core experience using motion controls.

Personally I just think it's a graphics style that we've finally found that's particularly well-suited to this series. The other thing that's really important to me is that the graphics style always be unique, and one that stays with you, and that you remember long after you play the game. And what I'm particularly excited about is that with the implementation of motion control and how connected that feels to the gameplay, and coupled with the visual look of the game, I'm hoping that it will be an experience that people will remember for a very long time.

<b>IGN AU: So is it the meeting of the hardcore fans with the casual players that makes this the "key turning point in Zelda history" as it was described at the E3 press conference?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: That is kind of an important point for it. We have to find the right balance, in terms of how difficult we make the dungeons and things like that, but that is, I think, a very important part.

I think that once people play this game, then the next time they play a game that uses a sword they'll feel that any game that doesn't use motion control for the sword is just not going to work right.

Link's character model looks incredible in Skyward Sword.

<b>IGN AU: We've seen a renaissance in 2D game design recently, with lots of side scrolling 2D and 2.5D. Why is 2D becoming so popular again? Is it nostalgia, or something more?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: I think it's really that the gameplay of side-scrolling games is very simple and straightforward, and easy to understand. The more complex that games get, obviously the more demanding they are on people's gaming skills. I think that what's so appealing about the side-scrolling games is just the fact that they're so simple and so engaging, and you can play them very quickly, and pick up the controller and start playing.
<b>
IGN AU: Does it take people back to their childhoods in that way? Make them reminisce? Is that where they're drawing the pleasure from?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: It's really more that the gameplay is so clearly understandable that a lot of people feel like they're able to play it and experience it and they're really getting that joy out of knowing what to do.

<b>IGN AU: How does a project get approved within Nintendo? What's the process to get a game green lit? Back in the very early days Mr Yamauchi would be the person who would say yes or no. How does it work now?</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: It really hasn't changed a whole lot. Of course, back in the early days – as you say – it was a decision by Mr Yamauchi, and oftentimes it was based on the thought of whether or not something would sell, and so I learned that whenever I was making my pitches, to go to him and say 'this is going to sell so let's do it!' But now it really comes down to Mr Iwata and I will discuss things and make the decision. Ultimately it's based on how appealing the early experiments are and how good an example they are of what a game's key selling point can be, and then we make a decision on whether or not to pursue it. But the basis is – it has to be something that we haven't seen before.
<b>
IGN AU: It was once said by someone at Nintendo that the company would never leave the console market, but the 3DS is such an incorporating device, is this the first step towards redefining what a console is, or the first step towards a console-free Nintendo? A handheld-focused Nintendo.</b>

Shigeru Miyamoto: I think there's still a bit of a gap between what you can do on a portable device and a home console device, so I can't say for certain that there wouldn't be, say, a Nintendo 3DS XL at some point in the future, and I wonder how big that XL would need to be in order for it to replace something like a home console, and that's a line that's very difficult to judge at this point in time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the fuck did he just mention a 3DS XL right at the end, does that mean we'll be getting lite, i, XL versions? :wtf:

Read it through guys and gals ;P May someone tell me how to hide the quote in a spoiler as its way too big or a mod can do it.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Still, it might not be a bad idea to bring the Nintendo Seal back...

rofl.gif

Thanks for the transcript. Good stuff.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Everyone knows that Nintendo will Milk the f**k out of their handhelds as technology develops things will get smaller, i + lite, and bigger, XL. There will also be another successor to the 3DS. Thats just how the world works...

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
Now I'm torn between buying one at launch, or waiting for the re-iteration =( I mean, I always suspected there would be a second version, but this just kind of confirms that there might be a XL-type model...

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
denieru7 said:
Now I'm torn between buying one at launch, or waiting for the re-iteration =( I mean, I always suspected there would be a second version, but this just kind of confirms that there might be a XL-type model...
I bought a DS way back before the DSLite was ever announced, and I never bought any of the newer models.
Recently I was thinking of getting a DSi-XL, but now that the 3DS has been announced I'm just waiting for that.
I'll be buying a 3DS at launch because 3D is something I really love.
How many years was it between the original DS and the DSi-XL? I don't want to wait that long for my 3D gaming experience.
However, I may well buy a 3DS-XL when they do come out a few years down the track.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
intelligent man with good direction, and i guess they are going to implement previous ideas that which the DS had such as XL and all these other things. but it will be a more free console rather than linear that the DS had ie. switch on->start game-> etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-