Hardware 40 pin GBA with white tab LCD perfect solution!

  • Thread starter Thread starter malheur
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 75,320
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Likes Likes 22
Last edited by PolloDiablo,
Does anyone knows if this ribbon adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/GameBoy-Adv...ith-5-level-Brightness-40-pin-B-/181797004647 solves the ghosting issues?

Y E S. that ribbon cable works perfectly without the mods.

also for doesnt want to search the history of backlight GBA mod, here is some information :

there is two kind of LCD screen. BROWN tab and WHITE tab. brown tab one is manufactured by reverse engineering from 3rd party. usually it called type A since its on the market earlier. white tab one is manufactured by Nintendo design from OEM factory. usually it called type B since on the market later than brown tab one.

brown tab one's tab is brown(obviously). white tab one's tab is... white. currently (i mean after year about 2015) you can't buy easily brown tab LCD because they stop producing them, so i guess if you want to buy backlight LCD, it must be the white tab. and these brown and white having different pinout. so you need to use different ribbon adapter cable.

as refered, that particulary described "40 pin B" ribbon is designed for using white tab(type B) LCD on the 40 pin GBA. it has two extra resistor on the ribbon and it works perfectly(confirmed). but it's expensive, and relatively new.

usually people used to mod with just any ribbon cable - and it was actually designed for brown tab(type A) LCD. so it can be called "40 pin A" as saying. so it has some issues since two LCD has different pinout. consider my thread explains how to fix using 40 pin GBA + white tab(type B) LCD + "40 pin A" ribbon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PolloDiablo
Y E S. that ribbon cable works perfectly without the mods.

also for doesnt want to search the history of backlight GBA mod, here is some information :

there is two kind of LCD screen. BROWN tab and WHITE tab. brown tab one is manufactured by reverse engineering from 3rd party. usually it called type A since its on the market earlier. white tab one is manufactured by Nintendo design from OEM factory. usually it called type B since on the market later than brown tab one.

brown tab one's tab is brown(obviously). white tab one's tab is... white. currently (i mean after year about 2015) you can't buy easily brown tab LCD because they stop producing them, so i guess if you want to buy backlight LCD, it must be the white tab. and these brown and white having different pinout. so you need to use different ribbon adapter cable.

as refered, that particulary described "40 pin B" ribbon is designed for using white tab(type B) LCD on the 40 pin GBA. it has two extra resistor on the ribbon and it works perfectly(confirmed). but it's expensive, and relatively new.

usually people used to mod with just any ribbon cable - and it was actually designed for brown tab(type A) LCD. so it can be called "40 pin A" as saying. so it has some issues since two LCD has different pinout. consider my thread explains how to fix using 40 pin GBA + white tab(type B) LCD + "40 pin A" ribbon.
Thanks a lot for that info. You have been really helpful with this mod project.

I'm going to order that new ribbon adapter (40 pin B), but meanwhile I'm going to use my GBA with the old 40 pin adapter with the ghosting issues. Here is a pic:

16115022_1626469307659598_8654015946098979070_n.jpg


Do you think playing with this old adapter could damage the screen?
 
Thanks for this, before going into the thread, I was kinda put off by adding a potentiometer to a GBA to get the mod working, but was relieved as I kept reading (Only soldering experiance was when I did my DMG the other year)

If the supposed retrobit gameboy clone has issues, then I'll probably end up getting a kit and one of these updated pin connectors that fixes the issues lol
 
Yep, go with Gamer Zone, I've had two screens from them also and they've both been good. Ordering another today :)
 
Just wana drop feedback here. Got the OEM display and 40 Pin adapter and did the mod as @malheur showed in this thread. It works like a charme. No ghosting, no vertical lines (after setting poti). Great new old gameboy : ) Big up and thanks. :yay:
 
  • Like
Reactions: malheur
Hey there, just had another check on gamer zone and they out of stock on screens, is there any other good seller on there?
(Or maybe ebay? I have a voucher code...)

EDIT: Found some being sold by "be2myguests" anybody else buy from them?

EDIT2: on gamer zone for the screen adapter ribbon cable, do i need 40pin a, or 40 pin b?
 
Last edited by Warmo,
Hey there, just had another check on gamer zone and they out of stock on screens, is there any other good seller on there?
(Or maybe ebay? I have a voucher code...)

EDIT: Found some being sold by "be2myguests" anybody else buy from them?

EDIT2: on gamer zone for the screen adapter ribbon cable, do i need 40pin a, or 40 pin b?

I saw they'd sold out too so have ordered from here. Seem to have good reviews and generally a good level of feedback etc but no idea what they're like...

http://s.aliexpress.com/a6vYBz2M

Apparently 40 pin B for the adapters will help eliminate ghosting so that's what I went with personally.
 
I saw they'd sold out too so have ordered from here. Seem to have good reviews and generally a good level of feedback etc but no idea what they're like...

http://s.aliexpress.com/a6vYBz2M

Apparently 40 pin B for the adapters will help eliminate ghosting so that's what I went with personally.

I ended up ordering this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232161592411

got £15 off so i had to use ebay, I hope this one works with the 40 pin b, shame its gonna take 3 weeks or somthing to test out
 
  • Like
Reactions: Le_Gogh
HI does anyone know where else to tap the REVC point on the motherboard? The usual revc location for mine is messed up. Help!
 
HI does anyone know where else to tap the REVC point on the motherboard? The usual revc location for mine is messed up. Help!

alter_revc.jpg


directly solder to leg of CPU is difficult and very easily fall off. using good wire like most thin teflon wire will be easier, and i strongly recommend hold wire to the board with hot melt glue.
 
Just wondering while I wait for my adapter in the post - I ordered a 40 pin B adapter (Which I assume fixes the issue) and it has a wire coming off it, where do I solder that onto? (I assumed GND but I may be wrong?)
 
Omg malheur thanks so much for this solution! I created an account almost just to say thanks!

I used a 100k trimpot though, is this a big deal? It seems to work just fine still.

I think I might even tune it a bit to bring some of the interlacing back cause I kinda like the scanline look..

gba0.jpg gba1.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: malheur

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted