Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Wich is the best drive speed? 6x or 3x?

With 3x speed, the drive is more silent and loading times are longer.
But I don't know if it's good or not for the lens.

I have a Wiikey v1 (1.9s) but I can only use 3x speed with my backups (6x never worked with wiikey, even with 1.9b or 1.9g)

What do you think? 3x ou 6x?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keylogger said:
Hi,

I have a Wiikey v1 (1.9s) but I can only use 3x speed with my backups (6x never worked with wiikey, even with 1.9b or 1.9g)

wow...this is really important. lol.

just do 6x.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Hi,

it should work, how do you know that your only getting 3x with your backups?
and for the record 6x is by far the best
tongue.gif

e.g. what would you say if someone said to you what's better a pioneer 8x speed dvd writer or 16x speed writer, think you'd choose 16x yeah??

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speed wouldn't affect the laser anyway, more the motor, but its made for it.

are you talking about how Wiikey didn't appear to "save" 6x when you selected it?

it's a stealth chip, if you picked 6x, it was reading 6x, it just defaults to 3x as a choice you can save when you view it using the disc.

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
it should work, how do you know that your only getting 3x with your backups?
and for the record 6x is by far the best
tongue.gif

e.g. what would you say if someone said to you what's better a pioneer 8x speed dvd writer or 8x speed writer, think you'd choose 16x yeah??
8x or 8x? lol

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Noitora said:
I'd go with 6x, it's faster than 3x and it always works just fine with good quality DVDs.

The OP is asking about the speed the Wii reads at, not at what speed to burn at.

btw

QUOTE(Zackeriah;747269)I updated to 1.9g, and Wii games still work great but now it seems that games only read at 3x even if I put the 1.3 config disc in and change it to 6x. I can tell by the sounds coming from the Wii drive that it's not running at normal 6x speed. Anyone else having this problem?

I have a WiiKey, after the 1.9b it DID revert to 3x speed, even on their site (wiikey.cn) they posted about this around the time of SMG. They were supposed to have fixed it by the 1.9s, but never. The stealth mode I understand 100%, but as someone that does a lot of testing, I know the speed stayed at 3x I'm very OCD at times
tongue.gif

I think this is what killed my Wii drive as I had it at 3x A LOT (running some GC apps/homebrew from dvd).

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keylogger said:
QUOTE said:

so, what I said is true.
Wiikey doesn't allow backups to be read at 6x

that's too bad and very douche-y

of course, my wiikey(s) [2x] wouldn't read backups AT ALL

pieces of crap,
glad for wasp.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Rocco Savadgie said:
How do you know the original wiikey only plays at 3x speed?
Prolly because lots of people noticed it was only 3x and the people behind wiikey verified this. ;-p

3x or 6x won't make a difference to the life of your DVD drive - if 3x is fast enough for you then fine.

Anyone who has flashed a 360 will have had the choice of setting their drive to read at the original 12x or 8x, 5x or 2x. 12x is just too loud for me so I stick with 8x - not really that much slower at loading but a fair bit quieter. 5x was a little too slow for me, but some people are happy with it.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Rocco Savadgie said:
How do you know the original wiikey only plays at 3x speed?

Seems to be 6x to me.

By loading Xvids in GC mode on MFE long story short (was VERY noticable). Times greatly increased on the WiiKeyv1 when going from 1.9b to 1.9g.
At the time many people posted all over the internet wanting to "revert back to 1.0b" I'm sure if you google you could find many examples.
At the time the actual WiiKey site was down, then up then down if anyone remembers.

unicode2CP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think that all our problems and doubts about DVD reading on Wii can solve one thing - Backup Loader with sdhc or usb game loading supports. Something like this is possible, but there still isn't some specific informations about these solutions from developers of backup loaders.

What's your oppinion about that?
smile.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Good point.

In my opinion, HDD loading cant come quick enough. Not for piracy, but more to save drive replacements like mine.
Think it wil be a good while yet though
frown.gif

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried it and you are completely right. Wiikey with 1.9g firmware plays backups at 3x. With an original in you can hear the drive spin up faster than the backup.

Since upgrading to 1.9s would have the same problem, what firmware should I downgrade to in order for 6x to be restored?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended